Surfing the internet without a VPN in Europe is like going on a walk in the rain without an umbrella. You’re bound to get wet and get the flu. In the same way, when you roam the internet without a VPN, you expose yourself to countless scammers, malware, and viruses.
On top of that, content restrictions around Europe are getting stricter. Even large businesses are out for your info. One day, you search for “good shoes,” and the next, you get an ad for Yeezy on your feed. This lack of privacy is why we decided to list the Best VPNs for Europe.
But privacy isn’t the only reason for the creation of this list. Recently, geo-restrictions around Europe have been increasing. It seems that the content censorship laws raging around the globe are finally pouring over into Europe. Thousands of users cannot access their favorite streaming services, games, platforms, etc. To shake off the yoke of these restrictions, you’ll need a good VPN for Europe.
Surfshark is undoubtedly our top choice. This top dog protects like a hound protects its master. With fantastic security protocols and a vast network of servers, Surfshark also offers amazing speeds. By connecting to Surfshark, you can enjoy the following:
- Peerless Media Streaming
- Unlimited Internet Freedom
- Bypass ISP throttling
- Best-in-class Encryption
- Private DNS on every server
- Ultimate Privacy
Some of the notable features of Surfshark include a kill switch, split tunneling, etc. A combination of these features and its affordable price makes Surfshark a good choice for people living in Europe.
But Surfshark isn’t the only reliable VPN in Europe. There are some other notable choices, and we’ve listed them all. After reading through them, you’ll hopefully have a good idea of what you want and need. So, let’s get to it!
The best VPNs for Europe in 2023 [Detailed Analysis]
Europe is the 6th largest continent in the world, with countries that have reached peak modernization. Europe is also known for its lax internet laws and freedom. But recently, even Europe has had its fair share of restrictions.
Even if you don’t count the restrictions, the internet is still a pretty dangerous place. Scammers often target people living in 1st world countries through various phishing attempts. So just because you’re free to access the internet across Europe doesn’t mean you’re safe or in the green to access EVERYTHING over the internet.
Countless hackers and corporations are on the prowl for your data to use it against you. You have to make the decision to protect yourself. This is where a VPN comes in!
You can use a VPN to mask your online presence, hide your trails, access geo-restricted content safely, and keep scammers away. But to enjoy all of these benefits, you will need a credible VPN. A random shady VPN is about as good as a paper towel in a flood. How will you find trusted and credible VPNs for Europe?
Don’t worry, we’ve already done the research for you. To save your time, we have rounded up the best VPNs for Europe. They are:
|Servers||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, browser extensions, FireStick, Nvidia Shield TV, and more|
- Hailing from the British Virgin Islands, this VPN is known to be everyone’s favorite, far away from the 14-eyes alliance.
- It has around 3200+ servers in 100 countries, with over 1500+ servers in European countries.
- Heavy security features like military-grade 256-bit encryption, a Kill Switch, covers protocols (IKEv2, OpenVPN, and Shadowsocks), GPS spoofing, and Camouflage mode, DNS and IP leak protection.
- Supports both streaming and P2P file sharing.
- Good speeds and unlimited bandwidth, especially with Surfshark Nexus.
- Has a no-logging policy.
- Includes innumerable servers for accessing US Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more!
Surfshark makes one of the best VPNs for Europe, but also equally great for many other countries. It’s fast, offers the best tools for online privacy, and unblocks many a lot of streaming services. That’s why Surfshark is popular among many users. Surfshark is like a mix of a tank and a Ferrari. It has speed and impenetrable defense.
In case you’re a little unsure about this provider, why not try testing it out on your own? Surfshark offers a 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobiles, along with a 30-day refund period for multiple devices.
|Servers||5500+ servers in 91 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Browser extensions, AndroidTV, Firestick, and routers|
- Based in Panama, this VPN doesn’t log any user data.
- One of the best VPNs incorporating a huge list of 5500+ servers in 59 countries, which includes servers in 36 European countries, meaning it has its widest coverage mainly in Europe. All you have to do is connect to NordVPN and then to anyone of its European servers. That easy!
- Almost all its servers are P2P compatible and applicable for breaking through any restricted streaming services like US Netflix and other libraries, Amazon Prime, HBO, Hulu, and others.
- You don’t have to worry about your data leaking or someone hacking your device, because NordVPN possesses a stronghold on effective security measures in the VPN industry. Some of these include bank-grade 256-bit encryption, Onion Over VPN, an in-built Kill Switch.
- There’s also a CyberSec feature, an Adblocker, DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection, major protocols (PPTP, L2TP, IPsec, and OpenVPN), and more.
- If you have a device that doesn’t support a VPN app, you can use the NordVPN SmartPlay feature over it via a router and access numerous blocked content.
- It has great speeds so you never have to worry about lagging or buffering during your streaming.
Additionally, NordVPN comes with a free trial period for Android and iOS mobile devices for testing purposes. If you’re looking for a longer trial period, the VPN also comes with a 30-day refund.
If you’re not happy with the service just ask for a refund and cancel your account.
All in all, NordVPN performed exceptionally throughout my testing and review of the app. It makes a great client even in countries with the harshest laws.
|Servers||3000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, Firestick, macOS, Browser extensions, Linux, Routers and Smart TVs|
- Another VPN based in the British Virgin Islands, marking it as safe as Surfshark.
- Engulfing a wide range of 3000+ servers in 94 countries, with many servers in 46+ European countries, including Austria, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Greece, Italy, Monaco, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, United Kingdom, and Turkey. All are available on the OpenVPN protocol.
- It has a wide range of US servers, making it the best option for cracking down on Geo-restricted streaming services like US Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more.
- Every server on its list is also P2P compatible.
- If you need security is what you need, it also ranks as one of the safest VPNs in the industry with AES 256-bit encryption, Kill Switch, protocols (OpenVPN, Lightway, IKEv2), in-built DNS and IP protection, split tunneling and a lot more.
- This VPN also comes with a MediaStreamer feature. It allows you to connect to Apple TV or other devices including popular gaming consoles that don’t support VPN apps.
- ExpressVPN produces fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
ExpressVPN is by far our second-best choice to access Netflix and other streaming services from Europe at incredible speeds. It’s a diverse and strong VPN app that passed our rigorous tests with flying colors. This top-notch VPN service is fully capable of unblocking a decent amount of geo-blocked streaming sites in Europe, including Hulu, US Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
|Servers||9000+ servers in 91 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, browser extensions, Fire TV, Android TV, and Linux|
- Born in Romania, a region that observes privacy policies.
- Includes a huge platform of 9000+ servers in 91 countries with many servers across 40+ European countries.
- Possesses heavy security measures like AES 256-bit encryption, protocols (IKEv2, L2TP, and OpenVPN), Kill Switch, and other in-built feature options like Malicious Websites, Blocking Ads, Online Tracking, and much more.
- Includes dedicated servers for streaming and P2P.
- Ability to break through Geo-restricted services like US Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, HBO GO, BBC Player, and more.
- It provides unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds.
- Compatibility with TOR.
- Includes a no-logging policy, preserving your privacy rights.
CyberGhost also offers a limited free trial period of 7-days for Android and iOS smartphones, a 24-hr trial for Windows, and a 45-day refund period for multiple supported devices. You should test it out for yourself picking any one of the trial periods to get a feel of the VPN!
When I reviewed and tested the CyberGhost app, its overall functionality, and speeds ticked every box, which is why this user-friendly app is a favorite among users.
|Servers||2000+ servers in 75+ countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Fire devices, Chrome OS, Linux, Kodi, and Routers|
- Based in the US, this VPN may trigger off some red flags to many users only because it’s present within the 14-eyes alliance. But did you know that Europe is also listed as part of the 14-eyes alliance? It honestly only matters if the VPN you choose doesn’t observe any privacy laws. In the case of IPVanish, it observes a no-data retention law.
- It has around 2000+ servers in 75+ countries, with 510 servers in 31 European countries.
- It also has a majority of server locations dedicated to the US, making it super easy to gain access to restricted services like Netflix, Comcast Xfinity, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.
- Coming to its security, it has super-unbreakable AES 256-bit encryption, protocols like (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPsec), a SOCKS5 web proxy, DNS and IPv6 protection, a Kill Switch, and more.
- What’s unique is the OpenVPN Scramble Traffic feature. With this feature, you can access US Netflix and other platforms without your VPN being detected. It blends your VPN traffic with the regular one.
- Sports fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
- IPVanish now allows unlimited simultaneous device connections to secure all your devices.
IPVanish doesn’t offer a typical free trial, but you can still test the VPN using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
So, if you’re a streaming buff, or traveling abroad and want to keep in touch with mainly European platforms from back home, IPVanish makes a great choice. It’s got a simpler network but is still a powerhouse compared to other providers.
|Servers||35900+ servers in 77 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Kodi, Chrome extension, Nvidia Shield, and more.|
- Includes a modest list of of 35000+ servers in 84 countries, with almost huge coverage in European countries.
- During testing, I was able to access Netflix, Disney+, DAZN, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer and much more.
- Coming to one of the best parts about this VPN, its security. It has impenetrable AES 256-bit encryption, Ad-blocker (PIA MACE), a Kill Switch, Split-Tunneling, and more.
- Compatible with TOR.
- Great speeds.
Private Internet Access is a popular and user-friendly VPN. Its simple interface, affordability, and top-notch security are why we included it on this list.
You can run a few tests using its 30-day money-back guarantee. Experiencing an issue with the VPN? You can refer to our Private Internet Access not working guide.
|Servers||500+ servers in 63+ countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire TV, Routers, free Chrome Extension, and more.|
- Based in Canada, but sticks to some strict no-logging policies as well as copyright laws.
- It is a simple VPN with around 500+ servers in 63+ countries with almost 50% of its servers based in Europe, making it another great choice for a VPN in Europe.
- Another great perk about this VPN is that it has P2P-optimized servers as well as provides dedicated servers for Netflix, which go by the name of Windflix. Along with this, it also supports other streaming platforms like Kodi.
- Has strong encryption, using AES 256-bit ciphers with SHA512 authentication and 4096-bit RSA key encryption, uses (OpenVPN, Stealth, and IKEv2) protocols, as well as a huge platform of other advanced security measures like Firewall, Double Hop, Auto Pilot, Adblocker, and much more!
- It sports smooth speeds and unlimited bandwidth, unlike its free version.
Windscribe doesn’t offer a free trial but it does come with a free version of the app. This includes limited data usage and server coverage. Other than that, it offers a 3-day refund policy.
There aren’t many providers that offer a free version of their apps, let alone a trial period. However, Windscribe is reliable and works great compared to other VPNs. It will make a great VPN app for Europe.
Why Do You Need the Best VPN for Europe in 2023?
Similar to several countries, Europe also has content regulations. Additionally, certain states and countries are deeply in line with the official team of the Five Eyes Alliance. The Five Eyes (FVEY), Nine Eyes, and Fourteen Eyes are state intelligence alliances that are involved in monitoring user data over the Internet for the protection of national security.
Did you know that at least 10 countries from the eyes alliance are part of Europe? So, if you thought you were safe online within Europe and all its internet freedom glory, you thought wrong.
Now, protecting national security makes sense, but often times they keep stripping the user of the bare minimum that we could call privacy. There have been times when these institutions have used stolen data to blackmail and threaten certain people in the country to coerce them into meeting their demands.
Additionally, European residents are always on scammer and hacker radars. Someone or the other is always on the prowl for our data. Using the internet without a robust security tool, such as a VPN, means your data is a hair’s breadth from getting traced, leaked, or attacked.
There are two ways you can protect yourself from these threats in Europe. One is never to use the internet. Detach from everything online and live the traditional hermit life. The second way is to get a VPN to help you go about your online surfing and securing your internet privileges.
All the top VPN services mentioned on this list have a strict no-logging policy, perfect for preserving your privacy and securing your data. You can use it to access websites like Unblocked Games 66 and other similar gaming or streaming websites.
A VPN is designed to put an invisibility cloak over your browsing history, sensitive data, and files you share and receive. When you connect to a quality VPN, your data will go through secure hidden tunnels to reach its destination.
Apart from cutting-edge security, a good VPN will open routes for your to access geographically-blocked sites, watch your favorite international shows, access marvelous games and intriguing ebooks, and log in to media streaming sites such as Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Netflix USA, and others.
You can enjoy all of this and more with a good VPN service for Europe like Surfshark. So get your subscription today, and protect yourself. Better safe than sorry!
How to choose the Best VPN for Europe in 2023
Some may think that choosing a VPN should differ according to whether you’re a traveler or a resident of Europe. That’s completely wrong! The best VPN services should be able to provide you with all-around features and services irrespective of your location in Europe.
There are around 51 countries in Europe, and though the internet is quite free in each country, there are certain laws that affect this freedom. You might live within an EU country that allows torrenting while, at the same time, another EU country blocks every torrenting website, like The Pirate Bay. This could be due to their laws against violating copyright policies.
Choosing a VPN depends on your overall needs. For example, one that supports safe torrenting access worldwide or secures your online privacy even within privacy-friendly regions. How do you find a good VPN that can give you functionality in each aspect?
Here are some metrics that you can use to determine the best VPN for Europe:
1. The best VPN for Europe – Maximum coverage
A VPN should always possess not just the highest number of server locations but enough servers to cover up the maximum number of locations in Europe and the world at large.
For instance, if a VPN doesn’t have a server in Russia, it should have servers in neighboring countries like Finland, Ukraine, or Poland. This is a plus point that’ll provide you with access to local European content if ever you’re traveling abroad.
2. Bypass Geo-restricted services
It doesn’t really matter if you’re visiting or residing in Europe. A VPN should be able to unblock or bypass Geo-restricted websites like Netflix by including a number of US servers in its list. Even though Netflix isn’t blocked in Europe, it still requires US servers to gain access to its US library. To do this, you’ll need a VPN that actually has working servers in the US.
3. Free access to overly priced streaming services
As you know, not every streaming service that is broadcasted out of Europe is available for free within European walls. For this reason, a VPN would be best to access these restricted services. You wouldn’t need to pay exorbitant amounts or get ripped off just for a Hotstar or Netflix subscription.
4. Unlimited bandwidth and good speeds
There’s absolutely no point in a VPN being able to access streaming services only to have you waiting for ages to stream a single video. A good VPN should have enough bandwidth and speed to keep your streaming experience seamless. I chose the VPNs above based on their performance and allowance of bandwidth. These VPNs have enough speed for most online activities like streaming, gaming, and surfing.
5. P2P compatible servers
Now, as I mentioned above, P2P file sharing isn’t supported in every country within Europe due to copyright laws. I chose the seven VPNs above based on their torrenting capabilities around Europe. We at TopVPNService do not support the torrenting of copyrighted material. The only reason we put forward the torrenting capability of these VPNs is for the safety and awareness of our users.
6. Heavy security features
A VPN needs to have some security features because how else would it protect you? A good VPN should possess some of the best or basic security measures to keep your identity and data completely secured.
The VPNs on our list all have state-of-the-art encryption algorithms, that keep your data safe. They also have multiple connection protocols like Wireguard, IKev2, IPsec, etc. The VPN you choose should have at least some of these protocols and security measures in place. If it’s a top-notch VPN, it should be able to protect you from online spam messages and ads, like Surfshark’s Clean-Web feature.
7. The best VPN for Europe – Privacy Policies
A VPN is only good if it protects your data from malicious forces and its own greed. For a good VPN provider, your privacy should be the main focus. The VPNs we chose all have a strict no-logging policy, so they can’t store your data or share it. Surfshark, for example, uses Ram-Only Servers that can’t store your data. So, when the government comes barging in, your VPN providers have nothing to offer, protecting your overall digital footsteps.
8. Compatibility with various platforms
We all have at least two different devices in our house connected to the internet. Now, wouldn’t it be sad and infuriating if you had to buy separate subscriptions for each device? The perfect VPN should be compatible and offer connections for multiple devices.
Fortunately, the VPNs on our list all offer multiple connections over a single subscription. Surfshark leads the lot with its unlimited connection plan. These VPNs are also compatible with multiple mainstream devices like Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, Firestick, etc.
For someone to be able to use the software, a VPN should be easily accessible and understandable. No one wants a VPN that feels and works like a 90s-era Panzer. Press the button and pull the level to start, Sir!
We all want a minimalistic and easy-to-use design. Fortunately, most modern VPNs have a simple one-click design that just about anyone can use. The seven VPNs that we’ve chosen are exceptionally easy to use.
10. 24/7 chat support
Okay, let’s admit it, you may experience issues with a VPN. In this case, what else can you do other than contact customer support? The problem with typical VPNs is the slow customer support which does nothing more than spike your blood pressure. Why go through all of that for some simple fixes? Look for good VPNs like the seven VPNs listed above. All sever are known for their quick support and prompt resolution to technical issues.
11. Dedicated IP
Not all VPN providers offer dedicated IP addresses. A few of the top providers on our list do offer it. A Dedicated IP address is a personalized IP provided to a single user. This means you’ll have maximum VPN protection through a separate IP only within your use. It’s like having an alter ego on the internet. One minute you’re Jon the Vampire Slayer, and the next, you’re Steve, the next-door neighbor. You don’t really need a dedicated IP, but some people want a more personalized yet anonymous experience.
To conclude – Best VPN for Europe
You are all set to get the best VPN for Europe in 2023. Choose one to maintain your online privacy and security. Unlock content across the globe, and keep prying eyes at bay. No more restricted surfing. Get access to local European content overseas. That’s all you’ll ever need!
All of the VPNs on this list offer the best discounts. You can keep track of them on our VPN deals and discount page!
FAQs – Best European VPN
Should I get a VPN for Europe?
Yes, you do need a VPN for Europe. Many European countries are part of the 5/9/14 Eyes alliance. Your data gets monitored regularly. With a robust VPN provider, you can connect to a secure European server, get yourself a reliable European IP address, and conceal your web browsing activities. You can unblock geo-restricted and surf the internet like a pro.
Which country VPN is best for Europe server?
Several VPN providers offer the best European servers. We have recommended Surfshark because it has the best privacy and security features with reliable European IP addresses. Other than Surfshark, we have mentioned 6 more reliable and secure VPN providers.
Do I need a VPN in 2023?
Yes, you do need a VPN to protect your internet privacy and security in 2022. VPNs with secure servers and reliable IP addresses can provide you with cutting-edge security while you browse the internet.
What is the fastest VPN in 2023?
There are several VPN providers that offer unlimited bandwidth and amazing speeds. When we reviewed different VPNs, we found Surfshark passing the speed test with flying colors. It has a wide network coverage, great speeds, and added security. If we had to place our bets on the fastest VPN of 2023, we would say it’s Surfshark.
How do I get a European IP address?
It’s simple. All you need to do is subscribe to a credible VPN for Europe, like Surfshark. Download its compatible app and install it on your device. Wait for the installation to finish, open the app, clear cookies, and sign in. Connect to any European server in the list of servers. And there you have it, you now have a European IP address. Start streaming, gaming, and surfing without a worry in the world!
To Summarize, the Best VPN for Europe is…
|Rank||Provider||Our Score||User Rating|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|