There are a lot of things that you can do with the best VPN for Europe. Bypass ISP throttling, get online protection, stay anonymous on the internet – the possibilities are endless!
However, not every VPN is reliable, which is why I’ve rounded up only the best and most reliable VPNs for Europe on the list below.
The best VPN for Europe is:
- Surfshark is the best VPN for Europe overall. More than 40+ European servers, unlimited device connections, fast speeds, high-end security, and perfect for streaming.
- NordVPN offers high-end security features for online protection for users in Europe. Access more than 2000+ European servers, fastest speeds, and a no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN is the fastest & secure for streaming, torrenting, or gaming in Europe, servers in 46+ European countries, and comes with a free trial.
- IPVanish is a US-based VPN best for streaming services and unblocking Netflix in Europe. Offers a Scramble OpenVPN Traffic feature for bypassing tough blocks.
- CyberGhost offers user-friendly apps for European users, unblocks both local and international services with optimized servers.
- Private Internet Access sports good speeds, one of the largest server networks, allows multi-device connections, and great security.
- Windscribe is the best free VPN with 50% of its servers in Europe, strong encryption protocols, unblocks Netflix.
The best VPN for Europe in 2022
Europe is the 6th largest continent in the world, with countries that have reached a peak of modernization. But just because internet freedom regulates smoothly for EU citizens, does that mean you’re truly safe on the internet?
If you’re traveling through Europe or even feel the need to permanently reside there, just remember that even though the internet in Europe is your playground, it still comes with a lot of setbacks.
For instance, you may be allowed to stream through restricted content or surf freely without having to worry about the government stealing your data, but that still leaves an open door for countless hackers, lurking on the web, waiting to attack.
Hence, a VPN is the safest tool to use while traveling to different parts of Europe. To save your time, my team and I have rounded up the best VPNs for Europe that work for multi-purposes. They are:
|Servers||3200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, browser extensions, FireStick, Nvidia Shield TV, and more|
- Hailing from the British Virgin Islands, this VPN is known to be everyone’s favorite, far away from the 14-eyes alliance.
- It has around 3200+ servers in 65 countries, with over 1500+ servers in European countries.
- Heavy security features like military-grade 256-bit encryption, a Kill Switch, covers protocols (IKEv2, OpenVPN, and Shadowsocks), GPS spoofing, and Camouflage mode, DNS and IP leak protection.
- Supports both streaming and P2P file sharing.
- Good speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
- Has a no-logging policy.
- Includes innumerable servers for accessing US Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more!
Surfshark makes one of the best VPNs for Europe, but also equally great for many other countries. It’s fast, offers the best tools for online privacy, and unblocks a lot of streaming services. That’s why Surfshark is popular among many users.
In case you’re a little unsure about this provider, why not try testing it out on your own? Surfshark offers a 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobiles, along with a 30-day refund period for multiple devices.
|Servers||5100+ servers in 60 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Browser extensions, AndroidTV, Firestick, and routers|
- Based in Panama, this VPN doesn’t log any user data.
- One of the best VPNs incorporating a huge list of 5100+ servers in 60 countries, which includes servers in 36 European countries, meaning it has its widest coverage mainly in Europe. All you have to do is connect to NordVPN and then to anyone of its European servers. That easy!
- Almost all its servers are P2P compatible and applicable for breaking through any restricted streaming services like US Netflix and other libraries, Amazon Prime, HBO, Hulu, and others.
- You don’t have to worry about your data leaking or someone hacking your device, because NordVPN possesses a stronghold on effective security measures in the VPN industry. Some of these include bank-grade 256-bit encryption, Onion Over VPN, an in-built Kill Switch.
- There’s also a CyberSec feature, an Adblocker, DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection, major protocols (PPTP, L2TP, IPsec, and OpenVPN), and more.
- If you have a device that doesn’t support a VPN app, you can use the NordVPN SmartPlay feature over it via a router and access numerous blocked content.
- It has great speeds so you never have to worry about lagging or buffering during your streaming.
Additionally, NordVPN comes with a free trial period for Android and iOS mobile devices for testing purposes. If you’re looking for a longer trial period, the VPN also comes with a 30-day refund.
If you’re not happy with the service just ask for a refund and cancel your account.
All in all, NordVPN performed exceptionally throughout my testing and review of the app. It makes a great client even in countries with the harshest laws.
|Servers||3000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, Firestick, macOS, Browser extensions, Linux, Routers, Smart TVs & more|
- Another VPN based in the British Virgin Islands, marking it as safe as Surfshark.
- Engulfing a wide range of 3000+ servers in 94 countries, with many servers in 46+ European countries, all available on the OpenVPN protocol.
- It has a wide range of US servers, making it the best option for cracking down on Geo-restricted streaming services like US Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more.
- Every server on its list is also P2P compatible.
- If security is what you need, it also ranks as one of the safest VPNs in the industry with AES 256-bit encryption, Kill Switch, protocols (OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP/IPsec), in-built DNS and IP protection, split tunneling and a lot more.
- This VPN also comes with a MediaStreamer feature. It allows you to connect to Apple TV or other devices that don’t support VPN apps. You can connect it via a router.
- ExpressVPN produces fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
ExpressVPN is by far the best choice to access Netflix and other streaming services from Europe at great speeds. It makes a diverse and strong VPN app and performed great throughout my testing.
|Servers||1900+ servers in 75+ countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Fire devices, Chrome OS, Linux, Kodi, and Routers|
- Based in the US, this VPN may trigger off some red flags to many users only because it’s present within the 14-eyes alliance. But did you know that Europe is also listed as part of the eyes alliance? It honestly only matters if the VPN you choose doesn’t observe any privacy laws. In the case of IPVanish, it observes a no-data retention law.
- It has around 1900+ servers in 75+ countries, with 510 servers in 31 European countries.
- It also has a majority of server locations dedicated to the US, making it super easy to gain access to restricted services like Netflix, Comcast Xfinity, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.
- Coming to its security, it has super-unbreakable AES 256-bit encryption, protocols like (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPsec), a SOCKS5 web proxy, DNS and IPv6 protection, a Kill Switch, and more.
- What’s unique is the OpenVPN Scramble Traffic feature. With this feature, you can access US Netflix and other platforms without your VPN being detected. It blends your VPN traffic with the regular one.
- Sports fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
- IPVanish now allows unlimited simultaneous device connections to secure all your devices.
IPVanish doesn’t offer a typical free trial, but you can still test the VPN using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
So, if you’re a streaming buff, or traveling to Europe and want to keep in touch with mainly US platforms from back home, IPVanish makes a great choice. It’s got a simpler network but is still a powerhouse compared to other providers.
|Servers||6000+ servers in 90 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, browser extensions, Fire TV, Android TV, and Linux|
- Born in Romania, a region that observes privacy policies.
- Includes a huge platform of 6000+ servers in 90 countries with many servers across 40+ European countries.
- Possesses heavy security measures like AES 256-bit encryption, protocols (IKEv2, L2TP, and OpenVPN), Kill Switch, and other in-built feature options like Malicious Websites, Blocking Ads, Online Tracking, and much more.
- Includes dedicated servers for streaming and P2P.
- Ability to break through Geo-restricted services like US Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, HBO GO, BBC Player, and more.
- It provides unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds.
- Compatibility with TOR.
- Includes a no-logging policy, preserving your privacy rights.
CyberGhost also offers a limited free trial period of 7-days for Android and iOS smartphones, a 24-hr trial for Windows, and a 45-day refund period for multiple supported devices. You should test it out for yourself picking any one of the trial periods to get a feel of the VPN!
When I reviewed and tested the CyberGhost app, its overall functionality, and speeds ticked every box, which is why this user-friendly app is a favorite among users.
|Servers||35900+ servers in 77 countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Kodi, Chrome extension, Nvidia Shield, and more.|
- Includes a modest list of 35900+ servers in 77 countries, with almost huge coverage in European countries.
- During testing, I was able to access Netflix, Disney+, DAZN, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer and much more.
- Coming to one of the best parts about this VPN, its security. It has impenetrable AES 256-bit encryption, Ad-blocker (PIA MACE), a Kill Switch, Split-Tunneling, and more.
- Compatible with TOR.
- Great speeds.
Private Internet Access is a popular and user-friendly VPN app and is now one of the best for Europe. You can run a few tests using its 30-day money-back guarantee. Experiencing an issue with the VPN? You can refer to our Private Internet Access not working guide.
|Servers||400+ servers in 60+ countries|
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Nvidia Shield, Amazon Fire TV, Routers, free Chrome Extension, and more.|
- Based in Canada, but sticks to some strict no-logging policies as well as copyright laws.
- It is a simple VPN with around 400+ servers in 60+ countries with almost 50% of its servers based in Europe, making it another great choice for a VPN in Europe.
- Another great perk about this VPN is that it has P2P-optimized servers as well as provides dedicated servers for Netflix, which go by the name of Windflix. Along with this, it also supports other streaming platforms like Kodi.
- Has strong encryption, using AES 256-bit ciphers with SHA512 authentication and 4096-bit RSA key encryption, uses (OpenVPN, Stealth, and IKEv2) protocols, as well as a huge platform of other advanced security measures like Firewall, Double Hop, Auto Pilot, Adblocker, and much more!
- It sports smooth speeds and unlimited bandwidth, unlike its free version.
Windscribe doesn’t offer a free trial but it does come with a free version of the app. This includes limited data usage and server coverage. Other than that, it offers a 3-day refund policy.
There aren’t many providers that offer a free version of their apps let alone a trial period. However, Windscribe is reliable and works great compared to most, which is why it’ll make a great free app for Europe.
How to choose the Best VPN for Europe
Some may think that choosing a VPN should differ according to whether you’re a traveler or a resident in Europe. That’s completely wrong! The best VPN services should be able to provide you with all-around features and services available to everyone in every location.
There are around 51 countries in Europe, and though internet freedom is allowed to be practiced freely, each country has its own laws. European laws always vary from country to country.
You might live within an EU country that allows torrenting, while at the same time, another EU country blocks every torrenting website, like Pirate Bay. This could be due to their laws against violating copyright policies.
Choosing a VPN now depends on overall needs, one that supports safe torrenting access worldwide, or secures your online privacy even within privacy-friendly regions.
So to list the Best VPN for Europe, we shortlisted 7 on their overall performance and functionality applicable to suit the digital needs of every country in the EU.
Here’s showing you exactly what to look for in a VPN for Europe:
1. The best VPN for Europe – Maximum coverage
A VPN should always possess not just the highest number of server locations but enough servers to cover up the maximum number of locations in Europe and the world at large.
For instance, if a VPN doesn’t have a server in Russia, it should have servers in neighboring countries like Finland, Ukraine, or Poland. This is a plus point that’ll provide you with access to local European content if ever you’re traveling abroad.
2. Bypass Geo-restricted services
It doesn’t really matter if you’re visiting or residing in Europe, a VPN should be able to unblock or bypass Geo-restricted websites like Netflix, by including a number of US servers in its list. Even though Netflix isn’t blocked in Europe, it still requires US servers to gain access to its US library.
3. Free access to overly priced streaming services
As you know, not every streaming service that is broadcasted out of Europe is available for free within European walls. For this reason, a VPN would be best to access these restricted services. You wouldn’t need to pay big amounts or get ripped off just for a Hotstar or Netflix subscription.
4. Unlimited bandwidth and good speeds
There’s absolutely no point in a VPN being able to access streaming services only to have you waiting for ages for content to stream through without any buffering or limited capacity. I chose these VPNs based on their performance and allowance of unlimited bandwidth, and ones that also steady your local speed connections.
5. P2P compatible servers
Now, as I mentioned above, P2P file sharing isn’t supported in every country within Europe due to copyright laws. I chose these 7 VPNs based on their support towards torrenting on every platform from wherever you are. Topvpnservice nor I condone the torrenting of the copyrighted material. However, the only reason put towards the provision of these top VPN providers is only for the sole purpose of our viewers remaining safe while doing so.
6. Heavy security features
To use a VPN in Europe, or anywhere around the world, it should possess some of the best or best or basic security measures to keep your identity and data completely secured with the steadiest encryption protocols available. It should be capable enough to block off any malicious websites, secure your device from viruses and hackers.
7. The best VPN for Europe – privacy policies
Your privacy should be the main focus. Choosing these VPNs also meant on the basis of them sticking to strict privacy policies or no data-retention laws. So, when the government comes barging in, your VPN providers have nothing to offer, protecting your overall digital footsteps.
8. Compatibility with various platforms
Now the devices you use often vary. You may be logged into Netflix from your phone and PC, and that’s perfect because these enlisted VPNs for Europe are compatible with all the major devices and apps for various platforms. The plus point is that these VPNs also allow you to connect to multiple devices simultaneously in one subscription.
For someone to be able to use the software, a VPN should be easily accessible and understandable. There are cases where the app is perfect but lacks user-friendliness. These 7 VPNs have sound security, functionality, and an overall user-friendly interface for all apps.
10. 24/7 chat support
In case you face any problems in set up or just need some basic app inquiries, they all have around-the-clock chat support that’ll guide you through with ease.
11. Dedicated IP
This is an additional perk. Not all VPN providers offer dedicated IP addresses. A few of the top providers on my list do offer it. A Dedicated IP address is a personalized IP offered to a single user. This means you’ll have maximum VPN protection through a separate IP only within your use.
Free VPNs for Europe
Free VPN services aren’t the greatest choices to use for online safety in Europe.
They throttle your speeds, and bandwidth, offer a lack of security features that entirely defeats the purpose of a VPN.
However, if you’re still looking for a free VPN for Europe, there aren’t many that work there. For premium and safe services, you should try out free-trial VPN services that offer a refund policy.
That’s practically free! They each extend services to anyone who requires a testing period and promises to refund your money back with no strings attached!
How do I get a European IP address?
Yes, I know Europe is a continent but the laws within all European countries differ. For instance, Russia holds up strict censorship laws while Norway doesn’t. Keeping that in mind, what happens if you’re a European traveling to the US, and want to watch local content from back home? How do you access it? It’s simple. All you need to do is:
- First, choose any one of the best VPN for Europe mentioned in the list.
- Subscribe to its services. Download the app and install
- Once done, proceed by opening up your browser and clear the cache and cookies from it.
- Refresh the screen.
- Move on to connect to any one of the European countries’ IP addresses mentioned on the server list.
- And lastly, start streaming!
The 14 Eyes Alliance – The darker side to Europe
Have you ever heard of the 14-eyes alliance? It consists of a group of countries that spike similar intentions, which ship off major surveillance on internet users within the country; sharing it with one another.
Did you know the at least 10 countries from the eyes alliance are part of Europe? So, if you thought that you were safe online within Europe and all its internet freedom glory, you thought wrong.
This is exactly why you need a reliable VPN to help you go about your online surfing; securing your internet privileges. All the top VPN services mentioned on this list come with a strict no-logging policy, perfect for preserving your privacy and securing your data.
To conclude – What is the Best VPN for Europe right now?
The best VPN for Europe right now is:
No more restricted surfing, get access to local European content overseas or from abroad, access to communication platforms like Whatsapp/Skype, all using the best server list of European and international locations, with full protection on all your devices and data. That’s all you’ll ever need!
All of the VPNs on this list offer the best discounts. You can keep track of them on our VPN deals and discount page!
To Summarize, the Best VPN for Europe is…
|Rank||Provider||Our Score||User Rating|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|
|Read Review||Find Out More Get Started >>|