If you’ve used or are using Hotspot Shield VPN, you may have at one point seen the message of “Something went wrong! We’re trying to fix the problem. It might take a few seconds…” This is the “Hotspot Shield something went wrong” error, and I’m going to show you how to fix the issue.
It’s no rule that you’ll see this error message while connected to Hotspot Shield, as it’s said to work smoothly for some users. However, if you are one of the many that received this error message, let’s learn how to fix it using 4 simple methods.
How to fix the Hotspot Shield “something went wrong” system error message
Before proceeding to the tutorial below, make sure you have the Hotspot Shield VPN app downloaded from the official site. If you’ve downloaded the app through a third-party source, then the steps below might not help you out.
4 easy ways to fix the Hotspot Shield system error message
- Reboot your device
- Jet-start Hotspot Shield manually
- Reinstall the app
- End the cmw_srv.exe process in the task manager
Method 1 – Reboot your device to solve the Hotspot Shield “Something went wrong” message
The simplest and most straightforward solution to solving this error message will be to restart your device. This error usually takes place when your PC abruptly ends the Hotspot Shield process.
All you need to do is click on your Windows button on your PC, and then click on “Restart.” This will give your device the reboot it needs.
Hopefully this simple and short procedure will help solve the system error message.
Method 2 – Jet-start Hotspot Shield manually
This next solution is pretty simple too. Here’s how you can begin:
- Start by clicking on the “Windows” key. Type “Services.”
- Scroll and look for Hotspot Shield. When you find it, right click on it, and then select “Start.”As mentioned above, this step is absolutely easy to follow through with. Also note, like in the image above, if you’re seeing the “Running” status next to Hotspot Shield even without clicking on “Start” then proceed to uninstall and reinstall the app.
Method 3 – Reinstall the Hotspot Shield app
Reinstalling the app is another solution to fixing the error message. Not sure how to do it? Take a look at the procedure below. This is usually the method that most Hotspot Shield users refer to. Let’s get started:
- Open the “Run” panel or, click on the “Windows” key and type “Run.” It will launch the command prompt.
- Type “control” and click on “Enter.”
- Click on “Programs” and then on “Programs and Features” or directly on programs and features if the option comes for you.
- Scroll and look for Hotspot Shield. Right-click on it and then on “Uninstall.”
- Lastly, go to the official Hotspot Shield website. Download and install the latest version of the app.
- Launch the app, sign in, connect to any server and that’s it! The Hotspot Shield “Something went wrong error” will now have been fixed.
Method 4 – End the cmw_srv.exe process in the task manager
If method 2 does not work for you, and if you can’t find Hotspot Shield in the “Services” window, then this method should help you out.
Let’s get started:
- Open the “Run” window. Type “taskmgr” and then click on the “Enter” key. This will open the “Task Manager” window.
- Look for the “cmw_rvr.exe” process and right-click over it and then on “End task” when prompted.
- In the next window, click on “End process”
- Lastly, close the task manager, restart the VPN app, and if it’s running, it means that the Hotspot Shield something went wrong error issue is resolved.
And that’s about it! These 4 methods should help you get rid of the Hotspot Shield something went wrong error message. However, if you’re just planning on skipping the issue altogether and would like to subscribe to another top VPN service, here are a few reviews you can go through.