There are 3 ways to turn off your VPN on Mac. Let’s first start with:
Manually disabling it from the Configuration Window
- Go to the network settings by clicking on the Apple icon on the top corner towards the left.
- Then, click on “System Preferences and Network”.
- On the left, you’ll find a series of network options, click on “VPN”.
- When you found the VPN you’re looking for, click on “Disconnect”.
Disabling a VPN on Mac from the VPN app itself
- Open the VPN app on your Mac once you’re done using it.
- Simply click on the “Disconnect” button. If your VPN app doesn’t have a disconnect button, then it’s probably under the name of “Turn Off VPN”, or “Stop”.
- Depending on your internet connection, it may or may not take a while to fully disconnect.
- That’s all.
Turning it off from the menu bar
- Head to “System Preference” and then on “Network Window”.
- Choose which VPN you want to disable from the options and click on it.
- Once it opens, click on “show VPN status in the menu bar”.
- Now, since you’ve enabled the option, you’ll be able to disconnect from the VPN by simply clicking on the VPN status icon on the menu bar, and disable it.
How to uninstall a VPN on Mac
Uninstalling a macOS VPN is far different from disabling it. Just in case you need to know how follow the steps below:
- First, make sure you sign out from the VPN app on your macOS and exit it.
- Open a new window on Finder, and then open the Applications
- When you find the VPN app you wish to uninstall, press down on it, and drag to Trash.
- Then go into the Trash icon, and empty.
You can also try deleting it from the app store:
- Go to the App Store
- Click on the Applications folder
- Then go into “User”, then “library”, and then “Containers.”
- Right click on the VPN app, and press “Delete.”
How to delete a VPN connection from your Mac
- Go into “System Preferences.”
- Now click on the “Profiles” icon.
- There’ll be a minus sign next to the VPN app that you need to delete. Click on it.
- Enter in the admin password, if any.
- That’s about it. The connection is now deleted.