Subtitles can be annoying at times but become necessary for Kodi in certain situations. For example, when you want to watch a movie without getting a noise complaint, the audio quality is low and of course when watching foreign-language films. In any case, you need subtitles to understand what is going on.
Subtitle services offered by Subscene.com and OpenSubtitles.org are some of the best available for Kodi. You can use both services in conjunction with Kodi on any compatible device including Windows PC, Android, and FireStick.
Keeping yourself safe when using Kodi
Although, keep in mind that even if you can get the subtitles service up and running, you could not be able to access the stream you want. Much of the content available through online streaming services are geo-restricted and protected by active copyright and distribution laws. Now we do not advocate the violation of such laws, but there are many reasons why it can be a hassle. For example, you may have a valid, paid-for subscription but are not currently within the USA. Or maybe the country you live in does not support the use of a particular streaming service. In any case, you can easily bypass all of these problems by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) like FastestVPN.
FastestVPN offers unparalleled services in connection security, protection from hackers and unlimited bandwidth. The company has a strict ‘no-logs’ policy and boasts stringent security measures to avoid IP address leaks meaning your privacy is guaranteed. Furthermore, FastestVPN stops ISPs from tracking your internet usage and helps prevent DMCA notices. Heres how you can install it on Kodi.
- Go to the FastestVPN website and subscribe to the package that suits you.
- Download then install the FastestVPN app on to the same device you use Kodi on.
- Launch FastestVPN, and select the server location relevant to the country you want to stream content from. i.e. for content from the USA, select the USA server.
- Ensure that you connect through PPTP or IKEv2 protocols.
- Click on the ‘connect’ button.
- Once the VPN connects, launch Kodi.
- Then install whichever streaming add-on you prefer.
- Watch and enjoy it.
How to Get Subtitles on Kodi using Subscene.com
Subscene.com is an excellent option to get subtitles on Kodi with the bonus of having no registration process. Although Subscene.com supports fewer languages than OpenSubtitles.org, it can be directly set it up from within Kodi without registration. Here’s how:
- Go to Kodi home-screen and then click ‘Settings’ found at the top-right corner.
- Then click on ‘Player Settings’ from the list that appears.
- Now choose the ‘Language’ option on the left pane.
- Then under the ‘Download Services’ section on the right, click ‘Languages to download subtitles for’ to select whatever language you would like to get subtitles for Kodi in. English is the default, but you can change it whatever you want later on.
- Now to install subtitles for TV Shows, click ‘Default TV show service’. For movies, click ‘Default movie service’.
- Then click the ‘Get more’ button and select Subscene.com to download its subtitle service for Kodi.
How to use OpenSubtitles to Get Subtitles on Kodi
OpenSubtitles is usually the go-to site to get subtitles for Kodi. It has subtitles in a wide variety of languages for almost every movie, and TV show released so far. The only downside is the extended registration process. Here’s how to get subtitles on Kodi with OpenSubtitles.org:
- First, go to https://www.OpenSubtitles.org and create an account by clicking on the ‘register’ link at the top of the page.
- Next, launch Kodi and then click on the ‘Add-ons’ button found on the left panel of the home screen.
- The icon on the top-left of the screen that looks like an open box is the ‘Package Installer’ option. Click on it.
- On the next screen click ‘Install from repository’.
- If you have more than one repository installed on Kodi, you will see a list. Select the ‘Kodi Add-on repository’ form this list. If you don’t have more than one, it will directly take you to the next step.
- Next, click ‘Subtitles’ and then select ‘OpenSubtitles.org’ from the list.
- Then click the ‘Install’ button that you will probably see on the bottom-right of the next screen.
- Once ‘OpenSubtitles.org’ add-on is installed, click on it again and then click the ‘Configure’ button on the next window.
- A dialogue box will then open up prompting you to enter the same credentials you used to create the OpenSubtitled account in step 1.
- Once complete, return to the Kodi home-screen and click ‘Settings’ (the cog icon)
- Open ‘Player settings’ and make sure that the selected option is anything other than ‘basic’ in the bottom left ‘cog’ icon.
- Then select the ‘Language’ option on the left panel of the next window.
- Then, on the right, click ‘Languages to download subtitles for’ in ‘Download Services’ and choose your preferred language (usually English).
- To setup Kodi subtitles for TV Shows, select ‘Default TV show service’.
- Then, click on the ‘Get more’ button for the complete list of available subtitles for Kodi.
- Select ‘OpenSubtitles.org’ from this list and click on it to download.
- Once complete, click it to set it up as the Kodi subtitle service.
- To setup subtitles for movies, click ‘Default movie service’ and repeat Step 13 through 16.
- Now switch on your TV show or movie, click the subtitles icon on the bottom right and OpenSubtitles will take care of the rest.
Subtitles still not working? In some cases, add-ons require you to go into add-on settings and enable the subtitles before they show up while you’re watching something. Read the following for detailed instructions.
Enable Subtitles in the addon Settings
- Go to the ‘Add-ons’ section in settings and select Video add-ons.
- Then select the Exodus Redux addon.
- Then scroll down on the main screen of Exodus Redux and click Tools.
- When the next window opens, click ‘settings’ then ‘subtitles’.
- Look for the Subtitles option in the left-hand menu and then click to ‘turn on’ on the right to ‘Enable Subtitles’.
- Finally, click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
Subtitles add to the experience of watching either a movie, TV show or video on Kodi. OpenSubtitles and Subscene are the best services for getting subtitles on Kodi. Both have their pros and cons; Subscene is quicker in getting subtitles on Kodi, but the subtitles may lag. You can quickly fix this by advancing or delaying the offset of the subtitles. To avoid any hiccups use OpenSubtitles as it is the best and most efficient with almost no syncing issues.
Furthermore, don’t forget the install FastestVPN on your device to protect yourself and your family from unnecessary ISP tracking, hackers and pesky geo-restrictions. Gain access to any content anywhere with FastestVPN with no worries whatsoever.