Have you heard of Kodi? Are you new to it? Then this guide is for you! I’ll be highlighting a beginner’s guide to Kodi, showing you how to install it, how to use it and how to install the best Kodi add-ons on multiple supported devices.
Kodi will heighten your streaming experiences. With that being said, I will show you how to use Kodi. This involves:
- How to download and install Kodi
- How to update Kodi
- What is a Kodi add-on
- How to install a Kodi add-on
- How to use a Kodi add-on
- What is a Kodi Build
- How to install a Kodi Build
- How to install a Kodi add-on on a Build
- Lastly, make sure you understand that to use Kodi, you’ll need to be connected to a Kodi VPN that’ll encrypt your data, passing your activities through a secure tunnel. Don’t know how to use a VPN for Kodi? I’ll highlight a tutorial for that towards the end.
Before jumping to ways on how you can use Kodi, you need to first understand what it’s all about.
Kodi: What is it?
When most beginners hear about Kodi, they probably associate it with a service that’s extremely difficult or confusing to comprehend, hard to use and set up. It’s sometimes even associated with a service that’s only created for tech buffs.
But, that’s not true!
Kodi is one of the best and free open-source media players in the world that will make every streaming enthusiasts dream come true. Also, in case you’re wondering how to use Kodi, or if it takes a while to set up, you should know that it’s extremely simple to use!
You’ll be able to access any and every kind of steaming service through something called a Kodi add-on. This is when there’s a particular movie, TV show, music genre or game etc. not readily available for streaming on Kodi.
But, because Kodi can’t provide immediate access to every streaming platform, it’ll need the assistance of plugins, known as a Kodi add-on.
There are innumerable Kodi add-ons available for installation where you can stream movies, TV shows, and documentaries from popular platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu etc. With Kodi, you’ll also be able to access builds, Kodi skins for user-friendliness, repositories, and more.
Kodi is compatible with many devices, just in case you have a preference. It works the best with Firestick, Android, iOS, Nvidia Shield, Xbox One, PS4, and Linux. You’ll be able to sideload many Kodi-add-ons on to these devices through a method called sideloading.
How to use Kodi
Kodi is compatible with many devices. However, since Firestick is the most popular for Kodi, I’ll be highlighting a tutorial on that.
To use Kodi, you’re first going to have to learn how to install the app. Now, the thing is, Kodi isn’t available on the Amazon App Store, so, to get the app on your Firestick, you’re going to have to learn how to jailbreak your device.
You can either go for the updated Kodi Leia 18.9, or stick to the older version of Krypton 17.6. Either way, the installation process is the same.
How to Download & Install Kodi on Firestick
You’ll first need to enable apps from unknown sources on your Fire TV and download the Downloader app in order to install Kodi. Here’s what you should do:
- On your Fire device, go to the main screen menu and click on either “My Fire TV or Device.”
- You’ll see something called “Developer Options”, go into it, and enable the “ADB debugging” and “Apps from Unknown Sources”
- You might be prompted by a pop-up warning, simply click on “Turn On” to continue.
- Now, head back to the main screen and in the search bar, type in “Downloader”.
- Click on the download button or on Get.
- Once, the app has been downloaded and installed, click on “Open.”
You’ve now got yourself the “Downloader” app. This will assist you to sideload any third-party APK apps, like Kodi, on your device. Now, you begin to jailbreak your device to download Kodi.
Here’s what you should do:
- Launch the Downloader app, and you’ll see an empty URL tab. You should see “http://” by default.
- Now, enter in the Kodi APK link “tv/download” to download the app and click on “Go.” Make sure you download the 32-bit APK file.
- The Kodi APK will now download.
- Once that’s done, approve the permissions by following the onscreen instructions, and then click on “Install.”
- That’s about it.
How to install Kodi on Android TV
This procedure is pretty simple as compared to installing and using Kodi on Firestick. The Kodi app version Leia 18.9 is already available on the Google Play Store, so installing it shouldn’t be an issue. Here’s a quick tutorial showing you how to get started:
- Fire up your Smart TV or connect it to a TV, in case you’re using an Android Box.
- Go to the main screen and click on the Google Play Store
- Type Kodi and you’ll easily find the app.
- Click the “Install” button and follow the onscreen instructions. You’ll have the Kodi app on your device in under minutes!
How to update Kodi
I understand that most users are still utilizing the older Kodi app version. However, for a smoother experience, it’s always recommended that you update the Kodi app, to get better tools, and bug fixes. The latest version is the Leia 18.9, and just in case you’re looking for ways on how to update Kodi on more than one device, there’s a guide you can look into.
What is a Kodi add-on?
Kodi, as mentioned above is a media player and is used to play music, movies and TV shows that can be accessed from the local library. However, what good is that when the content is limited? That’s where Kodi add-ons come in.
A Kodi add-on is a crucial part of Kodi. This app wouldn’t be one of the best entertainment platforms without it. Add-ons are filled with unlimited streaming links to all the best movies and other services from the internet. There are also circumstances where your Amazon or App Stores don’t offers certain apps because of where you’re located. This is why most users load add-ons onto Kodi.
These add-ons are filled with numerous content from libraries comprising of:
- TV shows
- Kid’s entertainment
- Music etc.
Since you’re a little acquainted with what a Kodi add-on is, now, let’s move on with a short tutorial on how to install it.
How to install a Kodi add-on
There are hundreds of add-ons available, but only a few are the best for Kodi. The following tutorial will help you download any unofficial add-on onto Kodi in no time. But first, you need to enable the “Unknown sources.”
Here’s how you start:
- Launch Kodi on your device.
- Now, click on the Kodi “settings” icon.
- Now, click on “System” to launch the Kodi settings.
- On the left side of the menu, towards the bottom, click on “Standard” and switch it to Advanced.
- Now, click on “Add-ons” and then enable the “Unknown sources.”
- You’ll receive a warning concerning the dangers of accessing add-ons through unknown sources. Click on “Yes” to continue.
- Now, to go back to the “System” page, click on the Esc key. Then, click on “File Manager.”
- Click on “Add source.”
- You’ll receive a pop-up window, select “None.”
- Now, to download an add-on, you’ll first need to download the repository that contains it. Enter the repository URL in the path tab, and name it.
- Click on “OK”
- Return back to Kodi’s main screen by clicking on the keyboards Esc button. Click on “Add-ons.”
- You’ll see a package icon on the top left corner. Click on it.
- Next, click on, “Install from zip file.”
- Now, select the repository name that you created, and choose the .zip file that contains the repository you require to install.
- Once you’ve installed the repository, click on “Install from repository.”
- Select the name of the repository that you just installed.
- When you click on it, you’ll see a list of categories, like music, games etc. Click on the category you require and then on the add-on you want.
- Once you click on the add-on that you require, click on “Install” and then on “OK.”
- Wait for the add-on to install, and then return to the main Kodi home screen by pressing the Esc button.
- You should see the new and installed Kodi add-on.
How to use a Kodi add-on
Now that you’ve installed your add-ons on Kodi, you need to learn how to use them. But first, do you know how to find them? If not, you’ll find a short tutorial below. Secondly, all add-ons are different and will be found in their own categorical tabs. For instance, you installed an add-on for movies and videos, so, it’ll be found in the Video add-on section. In the same way, if you’re planning on looking for your add-on for video games, it’ll be found under the Game add-ons.
Since add-ons for movies, videos and TV shows are the most sought after, I’ll focus my tutorial around that.
So, here’s how to find the video add-ons:
- On your home screen, click on “Add-on” on the left side menu.
- Click on “Video add-ons.”
- You’ll see the entire list of streaming services that the add-on offers, like so:
Next, you use your add-on. Don’t know where to start? Here’s what you should do:
- When you choose the add-on you like, for instance, if you look at the image above, all you need to do is click once over any of them, and it’ll open instantly.
- Once you open the add-on, you’ll have another list of options to choose from, like Movies, TV shows etc. Click on “Movies” to access them.
- Each add-on is different. For instance when you choose a particular add-on, you might receive a list of sub-categories to choose from, like in the image above. Or, sometimes you’ll directly be lead into the movie titles.
- Once you click on the subcategory and then the title name, the add-on will then start scrapping the movie from various links.
- When that’s done, click on any of the links and start streaming!
What is a Kodi Build?
When you install Kodi, you might’ve noticed the standard blue background. This is called a Kodi skin, named Estuary. Secondly, when you install Kodi, the app comes without any add-ons or pre-installed streaming links. So, for that you’ll need to separately download add-ons according to what you require.
However, if you’re looking for just one place to access unlimited Kodi add-ons and skins to change the overall look of Kodi, you’ll need to install a Kodi Build. A Build comes with numerous pre-installed add-ons and skins for you to choose from, making Kodi a little more advanced and exciting overall.
For instance, have you heard of the popular Titanium Build? Here’s what it looks like:
How to install a Kodi Build
There are quite a few Kodi Builds that are the best but not all are great for Kodi. Most of them come with various kinds of add-ons that might not be good for Kodi nor your device. However, to give you an idea of the best and most popular right now, take a look at the list below:
- Misfit Mods Lite
- No Limits Magic
- One Nation Portal
To give you an idea of how to install a Kodi Build, follow this tutorial below on the most popular Titanium Build. Before starting, here’s what you need to note: The Titanium Build is a part of the Supreme Builds Wizard.
So, we’ll first need to install the Supreme Builds repository to get the Supreme Builds Wizard. Here’s what you should do:
Step 1: Supreme Builds Installation
- Launch the Kodi settings by clicking on the Cog icon, and then open the “File manager.”
- Then click on “Add source”
- Select “<None>”
- Now, using the on screen keyboard, type in the URL “http://repo.supremebuilds.com/”
- Click on “OK”
- Head back to the home screen, and click on “Add-ons.”
- You’ll see a package icon like shown in the image below. Click on it.
- Click on “Install from zip file”
- Now, from the list, click on the name you gave for the media source. For example “Supreme” as shown in the image below:
- Click on “repository.supremebuilds-1.0.2”, keeping in mind that it depends on the version you have.
- Wait for the add-on to install. You should receive a notification, like shown in the image below:
- Now, click on the tab that says “Install from repository”, and click on “Supreme Builds Repository”
- Click on “Program add-ons”
- Then on “Supreme Builds Wizard”
- On the bottom right of the screen you should see an “Install” button, click on it.
- Once this installs, you’ll again see a notification that says “Add-on installed”
- Dismiss the pop-ups!
Step 2: Titanium Build Installation
- Now, that the repository is out of the way, head back to the Kodi home screen and click on “Add-ons”, and then on “Program Add-ons”
- Click on the build to run it!
- There’ll be a list, click on “(Supreme Builds) Builds”
- You’ll see multiple servers. Click on the fastest one depending on where you’re located. Here’s a sample of the servers mentioned in the image below:
- Click on “(Supreme Builds) Fresh Install”
The fresh install wipes all the old Kodi add-ons clean and replaces it with Titanium Kodi Build. If you want to hang on to the old add-ons as well, then choose “Standard Install” instead of the fresh install option.
- Once you click on fresh install, there’ll be a dialogue box. Click on “Continue”
- The Titanium Build will now start to install. Here’s what it looks like:
- After the installation, there’ll be another dialogue box, click on “Force Close.”
- That’s about it!
How to install a Kodi add-on on a Build
There are circumstances when the Kodi Build you install doesn’t come with certain streaming services, games, TV shows, music libraries that you require. So, you’re going to have to install an add-on on the Build you have installed.
For instance, we went through a Titanium Kodi Build tutorial above, but it might not come with the add-on you’re looking for. There is a way for you to add separate add-ons to your Kodi build, and here’s how:
- Choose any one of the best Kodi add-ons. I went with Genesis Reborn. And, since I’ve already covered a Titanium Build tutorial on top, we’ll keep the same theme flowing.
- Launch Kodi.
- Head to the home screen of Titanium Build, and click on “Main Menu” and then on “Settings.”
- You will receive a list of options, click on “System”
- You’ll be prompted with another window, click on “Add-ons” on the left side of the screen, and then enable “Unknown sources” from the Systems Settings list.
After this, the steps are the exactly the same as the tutorial on how to install a Kodi add-on, mentioned above. Just for a quick idea, here’s what you do:
- Insert the source URL to the Kodi build
- Install the repository for the add-on
- Lastly, install the add-on from the repository
Always use a VPN with Kodi
Kodi is a third-party app, and there are many add-ons that generate copyrighted content through torrent streams. This is why you need to use a Kodi VPN to protect your online activities and hide your physical location from the ISP and the government.
Secondly, Kodi might not be available from where you’re located. To access it, you’re going to have to connect to a virtual VPN server of the country that permits access to it.
To access Kodi, you’ll also have to jailbreak your device, mostly where Firestick is concerned, since the app isn’t directly available on the Amazon App Store. A VPN can give you access to it. However, not all VPN services are reliable nor work.
This is why I’ve shortlisted and tested a few of the best VPN for Kodi. They are: