How much does a good VPN cost? Is it expensive to buy VPN services? Are cheaper VPN services more susceptible to cyberattacks? Is a VPN worth it for online protection? These are just a few questions asked by users worldwide who sweep the market for the best or the most reliable VPN software.
However, it’s quite common for most users to first take a hard glance at the price without looking into the features it offers, or settle for just any VPN service without truly understanding what a VPN is and how it performs.
Let me tell you something, the price of a VPN has a lot to do with the performance. There are many factors that circle it. This guide will give you the front row seat of all your need to know about buying a VPN, its cost, billing or payment methods, etc.
You get the gist, right? So, let’s begin. Before we start, you need to get into terms with what a VPN is.
So, what is a VPN?
In laymen terms, a VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, is a software that acts like a bridge between your device and the internet as a whole. It encrypts (secures) your data, anonymizing it before reaching the website you’re trying to access. In short, hiding all the breadcrumbs and digital footprints, from reaching ISP or other surveillance bodies.
There’s a lot that this one brilliant software can do, however, there’s a limit to that as well. Most users tend of believe the age old myth that a VPN is the ultimate software that offers 100% security. But, that’s not true. There’s a certain amount of security and abilities that a VPN software offers, depending on what activities you carry out etc.
So, how does one choose a VPN? First things first, it’s come to light that most users first ask about the cost or price rather than other important questions. Keeping that in view, how much should you be paying for a top VPN provider? Take a look below.
How much does a VPN cost? And does a VPN’s price have anything to do with its performance?
Every VPN serves a similar purpose, but not all are the same. The price of a VPN often varies according to features, network coverage, device compatibility and unblocking abilities. When you take a look at all of this and more, only then can you determine whether or not the VPN is cheap, expensive or affordable.
Generally speaking, a VPN usually offers more than one package to choose from. This depends on whether or not it’s for personal use, corporate or just for a really short time. A VPN’s price is generally made up of a monthly price, 1-year package and can go up to the 2-3 years packages. The monthly cost for VPN services is usually always the priciest, which is why you should consider the packages; being affordable. For reference, if you’re looking to invest in a renowned VPN like Surfshark, here’s what its price packages are like:
Just like Surfshark, there are many VPN providers in the market that offer similar packages, but it all comes down to which software you choose, and how you should choose it. A VPN’s monthly price usually costs between $5-12.99/mo., with the annual and biennial prices often rated at $30-100 coming with a discount as compared to monthly rates.
Something to ponder on
When you think about how much a VPN costs, there are many things to look into. This is because a VPN can cost around $10 a month throughout the year, but can go as little as $5-8 during a special or seasonal discount offer. The billing amount can increase depending upon add-ons that cost a separate fee, like a special feature, Dedicated IP etc.
The afore-mentioned prices are only a general idea of the overall value of a VPN service’s monthly price. However, the cost of a VPN is completely oblivious if the provider fails to meet certain requirements or standards suitable enough to make the software secure – functional, which brings us to the next question:
How to choose a great VPN according to the price
Now, as mentioned above, there are many VPN services in the market, but when you’re looking for a particular one, for example for streaming, there are certain attributes to look for while considering a reasonable price. Here’s what to look for:
- Monthly prices – If you’re going to go for the price, always take a look at the monthly price. If it’s too expensive, find out what features they offer in comparison. Also make sure to look for other user-reviews from authentic sources.
- Servers – A smart network coverage is what helps you access most of the geo-restricted content. It also helps in general to anonymize your activities and protect you from third-party websites.
- Device compatibility – Device compatibility and multi-device connections are important. Look for one that offers apps for all the most popularly used devices.
- Security and advanced features – Military-grade encryption and other security features like a Kill Switch, ad-blocker etc. is a must. There are many providers that claim to offer it, but fail to come through in performance. Always conduct a little research. It’ll give you a better idea of the software you’re investing on. Especially if the VPN costs a lot, make sure the features and overall performance is up to the mark.
- Payment methods – Take a look at what payment methods a VPN provider offers. It says a lot in terms of allowing users to consider safer options like the anonymous payment method through Bitcoin. It doesn’t require users to hand in their personal data when signing up for the service.
- No logs – Look for a VPN that also offers a strict no-logs policy and has the reports to prove it.
- Safe jurisdiction – The jurisdiction of a VPN needs to be safe as well. If you’re provider is located in a surveillance country like the States, your VPN services no-logs policy needs to be top of the game.
There are only a few top VPN providers that are not only worth every penny, but also deliver in features, speeds, data protection and a lot more.
Instead of buying a VPN, is a free VPN just as good?
No, it’s not. Think about it, why would a great VPN provider offer free services? The provider’s company needs to earn enough funds to pay employees, and make better improvements to the VPN app. A free VPN will add more issues to your plate, and come with major complications. Always go for an affordable choice rather than a free service.
Is a VPN’s lifetime subscription a good idea?
In most cases, users look for the best VPN deals and discounts, but it’s not the same as a lifetime VPN subscription. Yes a huge discount on VPN services that’ll last for years is a good idea, but there’s a huge risk factor that comes with it.
As mentioned, not all VPN services offer the same performance, even though they’re priced the same, more or less. Choosing a lifetime subscription is risky only because there is no saying when or if the provider will last in the long run.
If many users only go for a cheaper price by subscribing to lifetime packages, how are enough funds being generated to build the app stronger? If a provider is not able to secure its software or company through lack of funds, they could discontinue services in the long run, as well as offer poorer performance.
Looking for the best VPN isn’t as easy as you think. Yes, it’s a great tool that allows you to maintain online privacy, unblock geo-restricted services, bypass ISP throttling, and secure your device, but no VPN service no matter how great comes without flaws.
That’s something to consider when choosing one that offers the best price. Because not all VPN’s cost the same, it makes settling for one very confusing.
That’s why you need to go through various VPN reviews, allowing you to understand what you’re looking for. You also need to brush up on your knowledge on VPN myths just in case you have the wrong idea about the software and then lastly take a look at the price of the VPN, giving you a full idea of what you’re getting. A VPN, in short, is important for online protection, but you need to tread lightly and understand what you’re using it for.