Hulu, among other popular streaming services like Netflix, is only available in certain parts of the world. In the case of Hulu, you’ll only find it aired unrestrictedly within the US and its territories. This is the reason why the service actively blocks VPN services from being used to access its platform.
Are VPN services illegal to use on Hulu?
Hulu doesn’t straightforwardly admit to not allowing the use of a VPN, but it does include some policies against circumventing any copyrights over its service, using IP shielding accessories. In short, they may not mention the word VPN, but they do refer to it indirectly.
Here’s an excerpt from the Hulu Terms and Conditions page:
How to choose a VPN to unblock Hulu?
Hulu does block access to its services using a VPN. However, this highly depends on the VPN you choose. Not all VPN services are the same, or fall in the same hierarchy. Some are good only for the speeds, while others are heavy on their unblocking abilities. Here’s how to choose a VPN strong enough for Hulu:
- Go for a VPN that offers Dedicated IP addresses.
- One that’s not blocked by Hulu.
- Offers fast streaming speeds.
- Covers a variety of US servers.
- Supports multiple devices to access Hulu when on the road.
- Reliable support chat to guide you through the procedure.
- A free trial to the premium app.
- One that also offers the best VPN deals.
How does Hulu detect the use of VPN services?
Hulu can’t exactly trace VPN access back to you, but there are a certain amount of factors that trigger off the block. The reason Hulu has managed to block certain VPN access is probably because:
- The VPN app you use is weak in encryption.
- Too many users trying to unblock the service using a shared IP or a blacklisted IP.
- The VPN you use leaks DNS and IP, revealing your physical location or IP address.
- The device or app you’re using isn’t supported by Hulu. It only allows access through its official app.
- If you’re locked out while using a VPN or proxy, this means that the provider you’re using doesn’t provide accessibility for Hulu.
How to successfully unblock Hulu with a VPN
- Subscribe and download a VPN that’s best for Hulu and one that hasn’t been blacklisted.
- Install the VPN on a Hulu supported device.
- Launch the app, and connect to the best US server. It’s better to contact the provider’s support team and ask what works best.
- Clear your cookies and cache from the browser, and check to see if your location settings are matching that of the VPN IP address, or launch the Hulu app.
- Start streaming!
Can we use a free VPN for Hulu?
Free VPN services aren’t as strong or secure as a premium one. There might just be a 1 in a million chance of you scoring a free provider that works with Hulu, but chances are you might get caught midway. Free VPN services aren’t equipped with numerous IP addresses that will get you access to the service, as compared to a premium provider for Hulu. Other than that, there are other factors that might ruin your experience.
Which VPN providers work with Hulu?
Which VPN services don’t work with Hulu?
- Hotspot Shield