Does NordVPN work in China? Is NordVPN safe to use in China? Was NordVPN blocked in China? You’ll have all your questions answered in a short bit; provided I’ll be showing you how to get started in no time!
I can only assume that the whole world is aware of the many internet restrictions that China paves. It’s one of the most heavily censored countries in the world! And that’s truly not an understatement. If you look up an entire list of all the channels, websites, and apps that are censored in China, you’ll be surprised; rather shocked! So, even if you’re traveling to China for business or vacation, you’re not going to be able to stay connected with the rest of the world.
In fact, did you know that WhatsApp is blocked in China too, and the only way to access it is with the best VPN for it?
Using a VPN is the only bet to jet you across these restrictions. However, because VPNs are now more in demand within China, the government has set out to block off multiple VPN generated IPs and even went far enough to block the usage of certain VPN altogether.
Luckily, there are only a handful of VPNs that still work in China, and NordVPN is one of them.
However, there’s a catch to using a VPN in China, which is the case for any provider. If you want to actively unblock multiple streaming services and international apps/websites in China, you’re going to have to download the NordVPN app before traveling there.
There might be ways to access it while in China, but there honestly is no guarantee.
How to successfully use NordVPN in China
Before heading straight to the guide, let’s get a few things out of the way first. The only way you’re going to successfully be able to get past censored platforms in China is by using obfuscated servers. Luckily, NordVPN does offer them.
These servers are mainly needed to bypass the strongest and heaviest Geo-blocks. However, the Obfuscated server option is only available on the OpenVPN apps. And these apps are only available for Windows, Android, macOS, and Linux.
How to get started with NordVPN
- First head over to the NordVPN website, and sign up with the service by creating your account. I’d suggest you go for the cheapest or most discounted price.
- Once you sign up, download and install the NordVPN app on a compatible device.
- Now, wait for the app to install, and then launch it.
- You’ll be asked to tick a few boxes depending on what you need. Then sign in to your account. Use the same credentials that you used to sign up with the service.
- Now, head over to the Settings. Click on it.
- Either click on “Advanced settings” or “Advanced”, depending on what Windows version you’re using, and enable the option that says “Obfuscated servers (OpenVPN)”.
- Once enabled, head back to the main screen of the app, and you’ll now find the option of “Obfuscated Servers” written under specialty servers.
- Click on the Obfuscated Servers option to sideload the list. Just click on anyone that you need. Here’s what it looks like:
- That’s about it! If you feel like switching to the regular NordVPN servers, all you have to do is go back into the advanced settings and disable the “obfuscated server”
What about iOS users? Can we use NordVPN in China with iOS?
There isn’t an OpenVPN connection for iOS users in China just yet, but there’s a way for you to use NordVPN by manually setting up an IKev2 connection.
How does NordVPN work in China?
Yes, there are many VPNs that are officially blocked from access points in China, and many that don’t work, but NordVPN isn’t one of them.
There was a point where the Chinese government had only allowed VPNs to operate within the country only if they were willing to comply with certain laws. These laws included giving China a hold of its Chinese VPN servers, among other rules.
NordVPN was among a few that didn’t comply with these demands. This doesn’t mean that NordVPN isn’t allowed to function within China. This means they’re safe and far away from the holds of the Chinese government; they’re free to operate.
Then there’s also the Obfuscated servers option that NordVPN provides to hide all OpenVPN traffic. This allows you to bypass the strongest blocks, even in China. With NordVPN, you’ll be able to access the internet normally and with privacy.
However, for added benefits, it’s always good to go through other user reviews to see what they think about the situation. A platform that I trust for honest VPN reviews is Reddit. Here’s what a couple of Reddit users had to say regarding NordVPN in China:
What else does NordVPN offer that makes it one of the best for China?
Besides being able to bypass the Great Firewall of China, NordVPN is known for offering unlimited internet freedom and other opportunities.
There are a few factors that otherwise highlight why NordVPN makes a great option for China. They are:
- Firstly, NordVPN offers around 5500+ servers in 59 countries. This includes coverage of server locations that surround China. Using one of them, you’ll have access to local content.
- Then there’s the option of the NordVPN obfuscated servers to use in China.
- A strict no-logs policy and a transparency report to prove that.
- NordVPN is located in Panama, a privacy-friendly region, away from surveillanced countries in the 5/9/14-eyes jurisdiction.
- Operates using AES 256-bit encryption, OpenVPN protocol, has a Kill Switch, a CyberSec feature that blocks ads, uses Double VPN, and SmartPlay technology is DNS and IP leak protected and much more.
- Unblocks multiple streaming services. A few of these include Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.
- P2P friendly
- Compatible with multiple apps and devices. A few supported platforms include Windows, Android, and Firestick, macOS, Linux, iOS, Browser extensions, and more. The added perk is that NordVPN also offers up to 6 multi-device simultaneous connections.
- There’s also a 7-day free trial and a 30-day refund. You can contact the support team for a refund and account cancellation during the provided time frame.
- 24/7 customer support
For a wider look into what makes NordVPN one of the best for China, you should check out its complete test and performance review of the complete app.
Scoring a decent VPN in China is tough, but with patience and proper research, you’ll be able to land one that’s reliable. NordVPN happens to be one of the few that actually still work in China. It’s still advisable that in order to use this provider in China or any other, you should download the app before traveling there.