Firestick provides some of the best streaming experiences for users worldwide. As immaculate a device it is, you still wouldn’t be able to access half of the streaming services it provides. Why? Geo-blocks and censorship issues, that’s why! In this case, only a VPN can help access it and there are only a few providers that are best for Firestick and Surfshark is one of them.
Surfshark has tipped the peak in being one of the best VPN providers in the industry. Since it supports and allows unlimited device connections, you should try out its 30-day free refund trial to test out its premium features.
If you’re completely new to the world of tech, this guide is for you. We’ll be discussing how to install Surfshark on your Fire device within just minutes. You’ll also learn how simple it is to navigate through the Surfshark app!
How to install Surfshark on Firestick
It doesn’t take much to get started with installing Surfshark on your Firestick device. All you need to do is:
- Subscribe to the Surfshark VPN by choosing a suitable pricing package. Surfshark is known to be a budgeted VPN, having the best deals.
- Once that’s out of the way and you’ve created your Surfshark account, head over to the Amazon App Store.
- On the search bar, type in Surfshark VPN and click on it.
- Select the first Surfshark app under “Apps & Games”.
- Once done, click on the option that says “Download”.
- Wait for the app to Download and Install.
- Then click on “Open”.
How to use the Surfshark app on your Firestick
If you thought setting up your Surfshark VPN on your Firestick was easy, then you’re in for a treat! It’s extremely easy to use the Surfshark app on your Firestick device, which is why it’s one of the best.
All you have to do is:
- Download and Install the app.
- Sign in to your Surfshark account using the same email and password you used to subscribe to the VPN.
- Connect to the best server depending on your physical location or depending on the streaming service you’re trying to unblock. Or just click on the “Quick connect” button.
- You’ll then receive a pop-up icon that will ask you to accept the connection request.
- This will allow the app to connect to the best server. Like so:
And that’s about it!
APK version – Sideloading the Surfshark app for Firestick
Even though the Surfshark app is available on the Amazon App Store, there will still be some unfortunate circumstances that involve you not being able to access the app on the website due to restrictions, geo-blocks or maybe you just preferred getting an older version of the app.
Either way, just in case the app isn’t supported from where you are, there’s a workaround method available for you. So, here’s how you Sideload the Surfshark app on your Firestick device:
- On your Firestick, check to see whether you can download apps from unknown sources.
- If it does allow it, go to your Firestick “Settings” menu.
- Then click on the option that says “My Fire TV”.
- After that, click on the option that says “Developer options”.
- Enable the “Apps from Unknown Sources”.
- Then click on “Turn On”.
- Once that’s out of the way, head back to the homepage and proceed to install the Downloader app.
- In the search bar, type in “Downloader” and click on it.
- A lot of apps will open up, but click on the app that looks like this:
- Download and install the app, and then click on “Open”.
- Once you open the app, you’ll find a pop-up that requires you to enter the APK file URL. Head to the Surfshark website and copy the files link.
- Come back to the Downloader app and enter the URL, like so:
- Click on “Go”, and wait for the file to download.
- Once downloaded, you’ll receive another pop-up asking if you’d like to click on Install, Delete or Done. Click on “Install”.
- Wait for the APK file to install and that’s about it! You now have your Surfshark app, which you’ll find in your list of apps.
What features does Surfshark provide for Firestick?
It’s a sad fact that most VPNs produce different features for different client apps. As for the case of Firestick, you’’ be accessing some of the best security features and speeds results. These features include:
- All its 1700+ servers across 64 countries
- Unlimited device connections
- 256-bit encryption
- Access to unblock streaming services
- Kill Switch
- Clean Web
And much more!
Just in case you have any more questions that need answering, regarding Surfshark or the benefits of using a VPN on your Firestick, here are some frequently asked questions for you to look into.
Can I use Surfshark on a first-generation Firestick?
It’s a fact that VPNs don’t support first-generation Firestick devices. However, there are always other methods to get started with the app. There are 2 ways where you can use the Surfshark app on your 1st generation device. They are:
- By using a router that is pre-flashed with router firmware. You can use it to connect to unlimited devices that Surfshark doesn’t have a dedicated app for.
- Since most laptops and desktops come with the option of creating a Hotspot shield, which is VPN protected. You can use that connection to connect to multiple devices, including the First-generation Fire TV stick device.
What can I get from a Surfshark subscription?
There’s a lot that Surfshark can provide for you, but following you’ll find a few important key points:
- Unlimited bandwidth
- 1700+ servers in 64 countries
- Kill Switch
- 256-bit AES encryption
- OpenVPN protocol
- Unlimited device connectivity per subscription. (this means you can connect the VPN to your Firestick as well as 10-20-or more supported apps or devices in one go)
- Multi-hop feature
- DNS and IP leak protection
- Fast speeds for 4K HD streaming
- P2P support
- GPS Spoofing
- Access to numerous geo-blocked streaming services
If you’d like a wide scope into the detailed performance and features that Surfshark provides, then go through my review. It includes the VPNs test results based on speed, leaks, and access to streaming services.
Can I unblock the US Netflix library on Firestick using Surfshark?
Yes, you can. Surfshark provides top-notch security features and unlimited access to restricted streaming services like Netflix and much more. To access Netflix on your Firestick, all you have to do is:
- First, make sure you’ve subscribed to a Surfshark plan.
- Download the Surfshark app on your Firestick device.
- Launch the app, connect to the best server, and you’re in!
- All the US movies that weren’t previously available to you are now accessible.
Can I use a free VPN for my Firestick?
You can, but you shouldn’t.
Surfshark does come with a free trial, providing premium features for you to test on your Firestick, so why put your privacy, data, and device at risk with an unreliable free one?
Surfshark, is already a discounted VPN, with the best-budgeted prices of $2.49/mo., plus it allows you to connect to numerous supported devices all in one subscription. That is practically free! If you aren’t satisfied with its performance, it even offers a 30-day refund period!
Besides this, there are only, say a couple of absolutely free VPNs for Firestick that work. For results, you’ll have to test them out on your own and at your own risk.
Can I use Kodi on my Firestick using Surfshark and how to set it up?
Not many devices support Kodi, and the fact that it works on Firestick is a plus point. To add to this Plus point, you can use the Surfshark app to stream on Kodi. That is very necessary especially since certain copyright laws are incorporated by using add-ons on Kodi. Running Surfshark with it will give you added security and privacy. Here’s how to get started with it:
- Turn your Firestick device on and open the Settings
- Then click on “Device”, followed by “Developer Options”.
- Turn on the “Apps from Unknown Sources”
- Return to the homepage, and look for the “Surfshark” app.
- You’ll find the first link that says “Surfshark VPN”. Click on it.
- Install it and then click on “Yes”.
- Once completely installed, sign in to your account and start streaming! (Carefully of course)
Firestick is one of the best devices where you can get access to unlimited streaming platforms. However, accessing some of its services is restricted depending on which location you belong to. Using Surfshark for your Firestick can unblock all these streaming platforms as well as protect your device and more with its high-end security features.