Firestick offers some of the best streaming content for users all over the world. However, because most content might be blocked due to geo-restrictions, users utilize VPNs for Firestick to bypass these hurdles. One such VPN is Surfshark! This guide will show you how to install and use Surfshark on Firestick via its dedicated Fire TV app and a sideloading method.
How to install the Surfshark Firestick app
- Subscribe to the Surfshark Firestick app by choosing a suitable pricing package. Surfshark is known to be a budgeted VPN, having the best deals.
- Once that’s out of the way and you’ve created your Surfshark account, head over to the Amazon App Store.
- On the search bar, type in Surfshark VPN and click on it.
- Select the first Surfshark app under “Apps & Games”.
- Once done, click on the option that says “Download”.
- Wait for the app to Download and Install the Surfshark Firestick app.
- Then click on “Open”.
How to use Surfshark on Firestick
It’s extremely easy to install and use Surfshark on Firestick, which is why it’s one of the best.
All you have to do is:
- Download and Install the app.
- Sign in to your Surfshark account using the same email and password you used to subscribe to the VPN.
- Connect to the best server depending on your physical location or depending on the streaming service you’re trying to unblock. Or just click on the “Quick connect” button.
- You’ll then receive a pop-up icon that will ask you to accept the connection request.
- This will allow the app to connect to the best server. Like so:
And that’s about it!
Sideloading the Surfshark Firestick app via APK method
Even though the Surfshark app is available on the Amazon App Store, there will still be some unfortunate circumstances. For instance, you won’t be able to access the app on the website due to restrictions, geo-blocks or maybe you just preferred getting an older version of the app.
Either way, just in case the app isn’t supported from where you are, there’s a workaround method available for you. So, here’s how you Sideload the Surfshark app on your Firestick device:
- On your Firestick, check to see whether you can download apps from unknown sources.
- If it does allow it, go to your Firestick “Settings” menu.
- Then click on the option that says “My Fire TV”.
- After that, click on the option that says “Developer options”.
- Enable the “Apps from Unknown Sources”.
- Then click on “Turn On”.
- Once that’s out of the way, head back to the homepage and proceed to install the Downloader app.
- In the search bar, type in “Downloader” and click on it.
- A lot of apps will open up, but click on the app that looks like this:
- Download and install the app, and then click on “Open”.
- Once you open the app, you’ll find a pop-up that requires you to enter the APK file URL. Head to the Surfshark website and copy the file link.
- Come back to the Downloader app and enter the URL, like so:
- Click on “Go”, and wait for the file to download.
- Once downloaded, you’ll receive another pop-up asking if you’d like to click on Install, Delete or Done. Click on “Install”.
- Wait for the APK file to install and that’s about it! You now have your Surfshark app, which you’ll find in your list of apps.
Can I use Surfshark on a first-generation Firestick?
It’s a fact that VPNs don’t support first-generation Firestick devices. However, there are always other methods to get started with the app. There are 2 ways where you can use the Surfshark app on your 1st generation device. They are:
- By using a router that is pre-flashed with router firmware. You can use it to connect to unlimited devices that Surfshark doesn’t have a dedicated app for.
- Since most laptops and desktops come with the option of creating a Hotspot shield, which is VPN protected. You can use that connection to connect to multiple devices, including the First-generation Fire TV stick device.
Can I use Kodi on my Firestick using Surfshark and how to set it up?
Not many devices support Kodi, and the fact that it works on Firestick is a plus point. To add to this Plus point, you can use the Surfshark app to stream on Kodi. That is very necessary especially since certain copyright laws are incorporated by using add-ons on Kodi. Running Surfshark with it will give you added security and privacy. Here’s how to get started with it:
- Turn your Firestick device on and open the Settings
- Then click on “Device”, followed by “Developer Options”.
- Turn on the “Apps from Unknown Sources”
- Return to the homepage, and look for the “Surfshark” app.
- You’ll find the first link that says “Surfshark VPN”. Click on it.
- Install it and then click on “Yes”.
- Once completely installed, sign in to your account and start streaming! (Carefully of course)
What features can we get from the Surfshark Firestick app?
It’s a sad fact that most VPNs produce different features for different client apps. As for the case of Firestick, you’’ be accessing some of the best security features and speed results. These features include:
- 3200+ servers across 65 countries
- Unlimited device connections
- 256-bit encryption
- Access to unblock streaming services
- Kill Switch
- Clean Web
And much more!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a VPN on Amazon Fire Stick?
You can use a VPN on FireStick. In fact, using a VPN for Firestick helps users bypass ISP throttling, gain access to the best streaming services, and get access to the best Fire TV apps like Kodi and more. The Surfshark Firestick app is the best because of its affordability and security features, fast speeds, and unlimited bandwidth. Plus, once you install the Firestick VPN app, you can use the VPN to download Disney Plus in Philippines, Mexico, and other countries.
What can I get from a Surfshark subscription?
With one Surfshark subscription, you get access to numerous streaming services, online protection, access to Firestick games, unlimited device connections, apps for numerous devices, and more.
Does Surfshark work with Firestick?
Yes, Surfshark works with Firestick, and you can easily get the app from the Amazon Store. To get started, go to your Fire TV homepage and go to the search bar. Type and look for “Surfshark” > click on the “Get” button and download the app on your Firestick device.
Can you use Surfshark for free on Firestick?
There is no Surfshark free trial available for Firestick, but you can hack a free trial for Firestick using the 30-day money-back guarantee. Simply sign up with Surfshark, download the VPN on your device, connect to the best server, and use the VPN for free on Firestick for 30-days. However, make sure you ask for a refund before the time frame ends.
Why is Surfshark not working on Firestick?
If you’ve installed Surfshark on Firestick and it’s not working, this could be due to a number of reasons. However, to fix the issue, you might have to clean your cache, and restore the Surfshark app back to its factory settings.
Can Surfshark unblock the US Netflix library on Firestick?
Yes, it can. With Surfshark on Firestick, you can access not only Netflix but can unblock 18+ libraries. All you have to do is Subscribe to Surfshark, download the Surfshark Firestick app, launch it and connect to the best server.
Does Surfshark work with Kodi?
Yes, Surfshark does work with Kodi and you can easily access it from anywhere in the world. Before getting started, make sure to check if the VPN is enabled, then connect to a Surfshark US server. Access or download Kodi on Firestick and get the best addons.
Can I use a free VPN for my Firestick?
You can, but it’s not something we would recommend. There are a few free VPNs for Firestick that work, but for a better experience on Firestick or better results, we recommend using a premium provider. Surfshark does come with a free trial, providing premium features for you to test the VPN, or you can hack a free trial using its 30-day money-back guarantee for your Firestick.
Firestick is one of the best devices where you can get access to unlimited streaming platforms. However, accessing some of its services is restricted depending on which location you belong to. Using Surfshark for your Firestick can unblock all these streaming platforms as well as protect your device and more with its high-end security features.