Amazon’s Fire Stick has taken the lead in providing the best streaming experiences for users worldwide. However, accessing some of its content is only possible with the best VPN! But, if you’re not too sure about investing just yet, I’ve shortlisted the best free VPN for Firestick for you!
Read on for more! But wait!
Hold up! Before you proceed…
Here’s a quick look at the list of free VPNs for Firestick:
- Windscribe – best all-rounder freemium VPN for Firestick and torrenting
- ProtonVPN – supports streaming on Amazon Fire Stick with unlimited bandwidth
- SurfEasy – good for YouTube and limited streaming on Amazon FireStick
To binge on Firestick, you’re going to have to connect it to an HDMI port on your television, and it automatically transforms it into an HD streaming platform. Apart from that, to gain access to most of the services Firestick provides, you’re going to need the best VPN for it, that’ll gain you immediate access.
However, I understand that most of you are a little on edge about paying an additional cost for VPN services, and usually opt for a free one.
That’s completely alright. But, if you’re going to go for free services, always make sure you know which ones are reliable and which ones aren’t.
Before getting into the bigger details, here’s why you need a VPN for Firestick.
Why you need a VPN for Firestick
Needing a VPN for Firestick and needing a VPN, in general, are both of dire importance. Either way, you’re going to need a reliable one that can cover up a list of requirements. These are as follows:
- To unblock multiple international streaming services that aren’t available in your country or either because you’re in a country that has strict censorship laws.
- Most ISPs throttle your bandwidth by slowing down your local internet speeds. Connecting to a VPN on Firestick will provide you with unthrottled and steady speeds.
- Online surveillances are a big pain. If you’re tired of constantly being watched or scrutinized, especially within 14-eye regions, a VPN is the best bet for it. It will provide you with all the anonymity and privacy you need.
- Along with unblocking multiple streaming services for movies, you’ll need a reliable FireTV VPN to let you access multiple online gaming platforms that may be blocked in your region.
- A secure Wifi connection is needed for connecting to your Fire device. If ever the need to use a public Wifi arises, a VPN will secure your traffic and device from intruders.
The best free VPN for Firestick
Here’s the thing, I don’t believe in free VPNs. There’s a lot to disagree with, and I am more than sure that almost 49% of internet users look up free or affordable VPN services. There’s absolutely no harm in that.
But, before settling for any, always remember to look for VPN reviews and other user experiences from sources like Reddit, etc. regarding a particular VPN service. You might even run into the best VPN deals.
Now, coming to the point, just in case you are looking for a free VPN for Firestick or FireTV, there are only a few that I would recommend using. These are as follows:
Top of my list, we have Windscribe, a great free VPN for Firestick and it is easy to navigate. However, on the contrary, its free version is a little restricted. As I mentioned above, I don’t usually rely on free VPNs but Windscribe’s free version is far more reliable than many other free VPN providers. You can check out more details in my Windscribe review.
The free version isn’t as efficient as its premium plan. It covers a count of 10 server locations, and a 10 GB bandwidth/mo. So, very limited amounts of streaming can be done.
When it comes to its security, I believe that would be considered as the free version’s strong suit.
It runs of 256-bit encryption, which pretty much encrypts your data and shields it from prying eyes. As far as unblocking streaming platforms are concerned, since there aren’t many servers to work with, it might be a little difficult to unveil many streaming websites. However, It is one of the best free VPNs to unblock Netflix.
Another perk is that both the paid and free versions can be used on Firestick and other devices; makes a great free VPN app for Android and as a Chrome extension. It also allows unlimited device connections! All-in-all it still makes a pretty good free VPN app for privacy on your Firestick device.
You can easily find a dedicated app for Firestick/FireTV on Amazon App Store!
Second, on the list, we have ProtonVPN.
Another freemium VPN, whose free version is much more trustworthy than most free VPNs. Although, it does have a more restricted functionality as compared to Windscribe, only where server coverage is concerned.
It provides very limited coverage of servers; around 3 countries, which are the United States, Netherlands, and Japan. Yes, that’s a very small list, considering the streaming services we have to unblock. However, the spread covers all the major locations, which are American specific, European, and Asian Pacific. This pretty much is all the coverage you need for a free VPN.
Apart from limited servers, the best part is that its free version offers unlimited bandwidth, and with medium to low speeds. Well, that’s what you should expect from a free VPN app. So, just in case you’re interested in this free VPN for your Firestick, you’ll experience moderate speeds depending on your internet connection, and unlimited data capacity. For more of its performance results, have a look at my ProtonVPN review.
You can connect it with your Firestick device by configuring it with a router.
Hide.me is another premium and free VPN for streaming on FireStick. This means that along with its premium plan, it has a limited free version.
It’s mainly recognized in the industry for P2P file sharing and torrenting, but sadly this isn’t applicable towards the US servers in its free version. However, you can still attempt to torrent using its free servers, which in turn makes a great free app for installing Kodi on your Firestick.
It does, however, have more servers for its free version as compared to ProtonVPN, offering around 5 locations for you to connect to; fast speeds if you connect to any of the provided servers that are closer to your location.
You can unblock a limited amount of streaming services, like Amazon Prime Video and HBO GO, but not all. You can find a 3 step tutorial of getting started on its website.
Coming to its bandwidth, it does have a restriction towards the data capacity it provides. The free version will allow you only 2GB of data a month, which will allow you enough time to download or stream through a couple of movies for a few hours.
The Hide.me free app can be really great for your privacy on FireStick, as it offers bank-grade AES 256-bit encryption with a strict no-logging policy. Apart from having a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, it also supports other major platforms like Windows, iOS, Android, and macOS.
Last on the list of free VPNs for Firestick we have, SurfEasy.
This free VPN is best for simple day-to-day usage. If you’re just in for a VPN to secure your Fire device and connection, and maybe use it towards simple browsing, SurfEasy is the best option.
The reason I said simple browsing, is mainly due to it allowing you a limit of 500MB only. This is far less in comparison to the VPNs provided above. However, what makes it stand out is the fact that it offers servers in 13 different countries. And that’s way more coverage as compared to all the free VPNs provided in this list.
With SurfEasy, you can connect to your Fire Stick device with a dedicated app for it, by downloading it from the Amazon store. Along with your Fire device, you can also simultaneously connect it to 4 other devices, since its multi-device allowance is up to 5 devices.
To secure your devices and data, SurfEasy runs on military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and observes a strict no-logging policy. This will make sure your Amazon Firestick browsing experience is an anonymous one.
Free VPN for Firestick – How they were chosen
Just like there’s always a criteria when choosing the best premium VPN for Firestick, there’s also a way to know which FREE VPN is the best for you and your Fire device. You can’t just go and select any random provider. This could harm your device, your data, and invade your privacy.
Most free VPNs are void of providing you with the best or basic features that you need. It’s very rare you’ll find a free VPN that actually works. They’re mostly just scams. However, there’s a reason why I settled for these 4 free VPN providers. They are as follows:
Access to multiple streaming platforms
The main reason to need a free VPN for Firestick is also chosen based on its ability to unblock multiple streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, YouTube, and more. However, not all the free Firestick VPNs are capable of that. You’ll have to try different server switches.
Apart from needing great security and speeds, most streaming services are blocked in many countries. A free VPN for Firestick needs to be able to bypass these restrictions, which the 4 free VPNs provided succeeded in doing so.
User-friendliness and compatibility
An app for Firestick and in general should be very simple to use. It should be designed in such a way that it’s accessible to professionals and beginners alike. Apart from its user-friendly usability, the provider should also have a dedicated app for Firestick. Device compatibility is very important. Besides supporting a free app for Firestick, they also were compatible with a few of the major operating systems.
There are some circumstances where a free VPN might offer a couple of server locations, but these won’t be applicable if the coverage isn’t spread across all the major countries of the world. For instance, what if you land up with a VPN that provides countless servers but are from just one country?
That would make no sense. All providers mentioned on my list for free VPN for Firestick may have a small coverage from 3-13 countries, but they stretch out to all the major locations of the world. Always go through each provider and see what their free app version is offering. For instance, if you need to access Hotstar on your Firestick, go for a free provider that offers an Indian server.
This is extremely important to protect your privacy and your device. A free VPN usually compensates its value of being free with providing or stealing your data and selling it to third parties. To secure your data and internet connections, the free VPNs for Fire Stick provided, all come with AES 256-bit encryption and strict no-logging policy.
Okay so, it’s a complete myth that free VPNs provide you great speeds. If you see it in its specs somewhere, don’t believe it, only unless it’s from a reliable source. All the free VPNs mentioned on my list don’t boast great speeds, but reliable ones for your Firestick experience that won’t slow down your local connection speeds all that much.
Free Premium VPNs for Firestick
This is for anyone who needs a premium VPN for Firestick but isn’t too sure about investing in it. And guess what? You’re completely entitled to that!
Usually, I’d say to always go through detailed VPN reviews, which is the best option in making VPN choices.
However, for your convenience, here’s a quick list for the best VPN for Firestick with premium features, all of which come with reliable refund policies, free trials and that have premium dedicated apps for Firestick. They are as follows:
- Surfshark – comes with a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, a 30-day refund policy, and great speeds and allows unlimited device connections. It also has a 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobile devices.
- CyberGhost – has a dedicated app on Amazon, a 45-day refund, perfect privacy policies, and an allowance of 7 multi-device connections. You can try testing it out for free using its limited free trial.
- ExpressVPN – offers a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, has a 30-day refund/free trial, good speeds, and allows simultaneous connections up-to 5 devices.
- NordVPN – has a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, offers a 30-day refund, strong security features, and allows at least 6 simultaneous multi-device connections. It also comes with a short free trial period.
- IPVanish – includes a dedicated Firestick app on Amazon, has a 30-day refund policy, unblocks Netflix, and allows simultaneous connections up-to 10 devices.
Instead of going for a free VPN for Firestick, and experiencing some pretty restricted or limited streaming privileges, why not test out a premium VPN using its refund policies? You’ll automatically see the difference! Then from there, you can easily decide which premium VPN to go for, using it on your Firestick.
How do I install a free VPN on Firestick?
- First, you start by signing up with the VPN you went with.
- Then you fire up your Firestick and sign in to your Amazon account.
- Look for the VPN app you signed up with.
- Download and Install it.
- Once installed, launch the app and connect it to the best server according to your location.
- That’s about it!
Now that you’ve gone through some of the best free VPNs for Firestick, here is the most frequently asked question by various VPN users/investors:
What about the free VPNs that don’t have a dedicated app for Firestick?
The steps you see above are basically for all the free VPNs on my list that come with a dedicated app for Firestick. But what happens when a free provider, like ProtonVPN, doesn’t come with a dedicated app for Firestick? What do you do then?
There are 2 other ways to get it started with your Firestick device, which are as follows:
Using a Router
First, you need to make sure you’re subscribed or signed up with the chosen VPN, only then can you move on to proceed with the following:
- Sign in to the admin dashboard of your router.
- Mesh together the configuration files of your VPN with the ones of your router.
- Turn your VPN on.
- Once connected to the VPN, you can connect your Firestick to the VPN using your router.
Using the APK file method
Sometimes VPNs don’t come with a dedicated VPN app Firestick and nor is it available on Amazon. Sideloading it through an APK file is the other best alternative to get started. You have to:
- Go to the settings of your FireStick device and click on “Device”.
- You’ll find two options under the name of “USB debugging”, and “Apps From Unknown Sources”. Turn both of them on.
- Return to the previous menu and click on “About” followed by “Network”.
- Take track of the IP address mentioned on the top of the list.
- Now, once that’s done, go to the main page of your Firestick and download an app called “Downloader App”.
- Launch the app and enter in URL of your downloaded APK file and click on “Go”.
- Install the app.
- Now open your FireTV, click on “Settings” then “Applications” and then on “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Look for your sideloaded VPN and click on “Launch Application”.
- Login your VPN app details to sign in.
- Connect to the best server and start streaming!
Using a free VPN for Firestick can be a little frustrating, especially since it provides very limited features, speeds, and security. A free VPN, in general, is extremely unreliable.
However, the free VPN providers mentioned on my list (Windscribe, ProtonVPN, Hide.me, and SurfEasy), have been tried and tested out. They may lack abundant server coverage, fast speeds, and security, but one thing is for sure, they can be trusted, as compared to many free VPN provides in the industry.