The Amazon Firestick device is by far one of the best innovations for HD streaming. However, since not all streaming services are available in every country, you should try out ExpressVPN on your Firestick to bypass these barriers.
Why, do you ask? Read ahead!
Before moving ahead with why ExpressVPN is by far one of the best VPN providers in the industry and well, one of the best for Firestick, I’ll first be providing you’ll with a step-by-step tutorial, on how to install ExpressVPN on your Firestick device for the best HD streaming experience.
Keep in mind, nothing is ever difficult, especially where setting up the VPN on your Firestick is concerned. If you’re new to this, just follow the easy step by step guide.
How to install and use ExpressVPN on your Firestick
ExpressVPN usually has a pretty straight to the point download and installation guide but is quite different when it comes to Firestick. The great part about ExpressVPN is that it also has a dedicated app for it on Amazon.
Before starting with the installation methods, you will have to first subscribe to the ExpressVPN services and then proceed with using it on Firestick.
So, to install ExpressVPN on your Firestick device from the Amazon Play Store, you first have to:
- Head over to your home page on your Fire TV and click on the search button, typing in ExpressVPN. Like so:
- You’ll have several apps show up, click on the first one under the “Apps & Games” section:
- Once you click on it, you’ll be provided with the option of “Get”. Click on that.
- It will hardly take a few seconds to download, but when it does, click on “Open”.
- Launch the app, and sign in with the same email and password you used to subscribe to the ExpressVPN services.
- After you’re signed in, you’ll see a power button. Click on it. You’ll automatically be connected to the best server for you. You can easily change it by going into the server location options and connect to a US IP preferably. That’s only if you’d like to unblock the US Netflix library or Amazon Video.
- That’s about it!
Now, let’s look into the second way to manually Sideload ExpressVPN on Firestick.
Using the Sideloading method on Firestick – The APK file
There are times when you won’t be able to access the ExpressVPN app on Amazon, due to restrictions or censor-blocks within your country. However, using the Sideloading method, you can easily get started with it. To begin, check to see if your Fire device can download apps from unknown sources. Here’s how:
- Go to the settings tab on your home screen and click on “My Fire TV”.
- Then click on “Developer Options”.
- And turn on the option for “Apps from Unknown Sources”.
- In the next step, head back to your home page and look for the Downloader app
- Click on the first link, that looks like this:
- You’ll find a “Get” option, click on it.
- Wait for the app to download and install.
- When it’s installed, open it and head to the URL section and type in the URL of the ExpressVPN APK installer and click on “Go”.
- The ExpressVPN APK file will now download, like so:
- Install the app.
- Wait for it to install and click on “Done”. You’ll further be provided with the options to Install, Delete, or Done. Click on Done.
That’s it! You’re all done!
Can you use ExpressVPN for First-Generation Firestick?
ExpressVPN, being one of the best VPN providers available has developed newer ways for you to enjoy your internet freedom on a wide platform of devices, and this includes the first-generation Firestick. I mean considering the fact that there’s no VPN app available for first-generation Firestick.
However, there are other ways you can use ExpressVPN on it, as promised. These are by:
- Using a Router
- Using the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer feature
- Creating a Hotspot shield that is VPN protected
Using a Router
If this was any other VPN provider, you’d probably have to invest in a router that comes flashed with Router Firmware. The great thing about ExpressVPN is that provides its own router firmware.
Use it to connect ExpressVPN to your VPN supported router, and in turn, will be able to connect to multiple other devices including your first-generation Firestick, in one go.
Using the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer feature
MediaStreamer is a smart DNS proxy, brought to you by ExpressVPN. It’s created to unblock vast amounts of streaming services that aren’t available in your country. These are mostly restricted due to Geo-blocks.
Since the first-generation Firestick cannot support VPN apps, you can utilize the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer proxy to replace all the default DNS servers on your device. You’ll find this in the Wifi settings.
Creating a Hotspot shield that is VPN protected
Sometimes using a router for connecting ExpressVPN to your Fire device won’t work, especially if it’s not VPN compatible. In this case, instead of panicking and getting yourself a new router, what you can do is, use your desktop or laptop.
Most of Windows desktop/laptops come with a default option to share internet connections. This can then create a secure Wifi Hotspot, and be used to connect to your first-generation Fire TV Stick device.
Just in case you have any further questions, here are some frequently asked questions:
Why do you need a VPN for Firestick/FireTV?
With the rise of notorious cybersecurity threats on the horizon, it’s important for extremely heavy or regular internet users to take advantage of the best online security a VPN can provide you. Using a VPN, in general, has its perks. With that in mind, here are a few reasons as to why you may need a VPN for your Firestick:
- One of the main reasons we use a VPN on Firestick is to gain access to restricted streaming services like Netflix that aren’t readily available outside the US. There’s always a lack of libraries or restricted content, but with the help of the best VPN, you’ll unlock a whole plethora of channels on your Firestick. ExpressVPN has managed to unblock unlimited platforms. Some of these include BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney Plus, Comcast, and more.
- Speaking of streaming services, Kodi is the most widely used open-source streaming platform for Firestick. However great a media streamer it may be, it does, however, pose some risks. Using it with a VPN will secure your connection and experience.
- Since many streaming services aren’t exactly allowed to be accessed within geo-censored countries, using ExpressVPN with it will heighten your security measures. It’ll provide you with the best encryption and other features that’ll protect your anonymity.
- Many people take their Firestick devices with them when traveling, and to access it, you’re going to need a strong Wifi connection. But what happens when you connect to unknown Wifi sources. A public Wifi is extremely harmful and shady; putting your data and device at risk. A VPN can secure that connection with the best encryption.
What should I expect with an ExpressVPN subscription?
Many VPN users seem to find ExpressVPN a little overpriced, which starts at $12.95/mo. for its monthly subscription. But, as much as that is true, ExpressVPN is still one of the top-grade providers that offer special discounts.
So, if you’re planning on getting ExpressVPN for your Firestick device, definitely check out its budgeted price of $6.67/mo. for its yearly deal, with 3 months free!
Getting yourself an ExpressVPN subscription for your Firestick/FireTV comes with additional perks. Like:
- 256-bit AES encryption
- 3000+ servers in 94 countries
- OpenVPN protocol
- Delivers some of the fastest speeds! You can see the full test results here.
- 5 multi-device connections
- Kill Switch
- DNS and IP leak protection
- Compatibility with multiple other devices with apps for Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, and much more.
- It also allows you to connect to 5 multiple devices per subscription.
- Offers the best ExpressVPN deals.
There are a lot more details to get into, which you can go through in my ExpressVPN review.
Can I use a free VPN for Firestick?
A free VPN isn’t the best option for Firestick, however, there are many free providers that do work with it, and that follow strict privacy policies.
Instead of going for a free VPN to test out on Firestick, why not try out the ExpressVPN free trial for Firestick? It’s safer, provides premium access, and won’t log your data.
How do I check whether ExpressVPN is working on my Firestick?
When you connect to the VPN by clicking on the best server, your IP address is automatically changed according to the location you chose. To find out if ExpressVPN is running smoothly on your Firestick:
- Make sure you have a steady internet connection.
- Check to see if your IP is leaking or is different from your actual physical location.
- Also, conduct other tests like DNS and WebRTC tests.
- Browse through a previously restricted website and check to see if it unblocks.
- If any problems arise other than that, contact the ExpressVPN support chat for further inquiries.
Among many VPN providers, using ExpressVPN for Firestick is one of the best choices you’ll make. Yes, everyone settles on different views, but after having tested it out, I believe it works wonders. From having the best security features, fast speeds, access to multiple international streaming platforms, and sporting the best privacy policies, ExpressVPN tops the list!
All-in-all ExpressVPN makes one of the best apps for your Firestick, Fire TV, Fire TV Cube, and first-generation FireStick by using the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer feature for an advanced streaming experience!
Another great thing about testing ExpressVPN on your Firestick is that if you’re not fully satisfied, you can cancel your account and ask for a refund within the first 30-days.