You will find that some of the best content is aired in the UK, and almost all of them are subjected to geo-restrictions. Accessing them might not be as easy as you think. For starters, BBC iPlayer is geo-blocked everywhere else outside the UK, and to access it, you’re going to need a UK IP address. Only the best VPN can give you that. With that said, this guide will show you how to get a UK IP address for free and from anywhere in the world!
Because most UK sites are blocked everywhere else in the world, you’re going to need a VPN that not only offers a UK IP address, but one that is strong enough to bypass the toughest geo-blocks. The VPN you choose needs to be able to secure you by paving an anonymous connection throughout. When you connect to a VPN, it encrypts all your web-traffic, allowing you to access numerous UK services from anywhere and instantly. Plus, the added perk is that you will always be able to bypass ISP speed and bandwidth throttling.
If I were to recommend a VPN that is reliable and one that offers a UK IP address, it would have to be Surfshark. It offers servers in the UK and proved to be reliable when we tested the VPN app with multiple UK services. This provider is affordable, user-friendly and allows you to test the VPN using its free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to get a UK IP from anywhere
- Subscribe to the best VPN that offers a UK IP address. I recommend using Surfshark.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Once installed, launch the VPN and connect to a UK server to get a UK IP address.
- Now that you’ve gotten a UK IP address, proceed to unblock any UK streaming service, website or channel!
- Another additional step would be to clear your cookies and cache.
- You can check through ip.org or any other IP checker service to see if your IP now matches the one provided by your VPN service.
- That’s all!
With a UK IP, you will be able to watch any UK TV channel from abroad. The possibilities are limitless! The reason we chose Surfshark, is because it not only offers a UK IP address, but is one of the best VPNs for Sky Sports, and even BBC iPlayer.
Short on time? Here are the top VPNs that can give you a UK IP address
- Surfshark is currently one of the best VPNs to use in and outside the UK that offers a UK IP address and unblocks some of the best UK streaming content.
- NordVPN packs a heavy punch where online security is concerned and offers a UK IP address. Its speeds are fast, and it offers a SmartPlay technology.
- ExpressVPN is great for fast speeds and streaming. It tested exceptionally well throughout my review of the app. Plus, it comes with a MediaStreamer service to get access to geo-blocked platforms or websites.
Is there a reason why we need a VPN for a UK IP address?
As mentioned above, you’ll find that most UK content is blocked or subjected to geo-restrictions, which is why a VPN is necessary for unblocking it. There are countries like China or even Russia that are under heavy surveillance online, mixed with some of the harshest restrictions. Times like this call for the best VPN to help users get past these restrictions.
Apart from this, using a UK IP address, you will be able to access your local bank accounts and more while traveling abroad. Other reasons around this aren’t only to do with bypassing online restrictions or accessing a streaming service. It’s also to do with bypassing ISP throttling within the UK itself. Your internet service provider often restricts how much speed and bandwidth you can use, and let’s not forget the online tracking. A VPN with a UK IP address will allow UK residents to use the internet safely and freely.
The best VPNs to get UK IP address – Detailed analysis
As mentioned, there are many VPNs in the market, but not all of them are reliable enough to offer the best services. After testing many, my team and I chose these 3 providers so that you can connect to a UK IP address and access UK TV content anywhere in the world!
Plus, for those of you who don’t know, the United Kingdom is a part of the 5-9-14-eyes alliance. It’s among some of the most highly surveillanced regions in the world. Using one of these VPNs and connecting to a UK IP address will help hide your traffic and restrict monitoring. Plus, they all offer a free trial or a refund period for testing. They are:
- There are many reasons why Surfshark tops the VPN list. Firstly, it offers 3200+ servers in 65 countries, including coverage in the UK, which means you will get access to UK IP address easily.
- The Surfshark servers including the UK ones are all optimized for streaming and torrenting. When we tested them, we got access to Netflix UK, ITV, BBC iPlayer, BT Sport, All4, Eurosport Player, Sky Go, Sky Sports and more! I was also able to access other services like Hulu, Amazon Prime, Hotstar and more connected to other servers.
- Surfshark offers unlimited bandwidth and fast speeds to avoid buffering or lagging issues.
- What I love about Surfshark is that it is one of the best VPNs for multiple devices. It offers unlimited device connection.
- Speaking of devices, Surfshark offers apps for Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, Firestick, Linux, Xbox, Apple TV and more.
- The security suite is top-notch. Surfshark operates using AES 256-bit encryption, has a Kill Switch, NoBorders and Camouflage Mode, GPS Spoofing, Smart DNS, and more!
- Need to test the VPN? Surfshark offers a free trial and 30-day refund.
- NordVPN gets great reviews for its security and streaming allowance. It offers around 5200+ servers in 59 countries, with over 440+ servers in the UK that you can connect to for a UK IP address. It’s also got Double VPN servers for extra anonymity.
- This provider is known as one of the best VPNs for streaming and also for torrenting. When I tested the VPN, I was able to get access to UK TV channels and apps like Netflix UK, ITV, BBC iPlayer, BT Sport, All4, Eurosport Player, Sky Go and Sky Sports.
- Just in case you need an IP address for torrenting, you can now safely access qBittorrent and other clients.
- Comes with unlimited bandwidth and some of the fastest speeds recorded.
- Don’t worry about using more than one device. NordVPN allows up to 6 multi-device connections.
- Where app support is concerned, NordVPN offers apps for Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, Firestick, Linux, Xbox, Apple TV and others.
- Most users recognize NordVPN as one of the best providers for security and online protection. It offers apps that come with a variety of features that could make accessing UK content a whole lot easier. Some of these include SmartPlay, Obfuscated servers, CyberSec feature, Leak protection, and AES 256-bit encryption.
- ExpressVPN usually tops the list for a number of reasons, and just because it’s third on this list doesn’t mean much. It’s one of the more expensive providers but works better than most on this list. It offers UK IP addresses and that is only one of the many reasons why we love ExpressVPN.
- It offers UK IP addresses. There are around 3000+ servers in 94 countries on the ExpressVPN list, which includes servers in 4 UK locations.
- ExpressVPN might be slightly over priced but for good reason; it works reliably. During my testing, I was able to get access to some of the best streaming services both UK and internationally. It works with Netflix UK, ITV, BBC iPlayer, BT Sport, All4, Eurosport Player, Sky Go, and others like US Netflix, Hulu, DAZN, Amazon Prime etc.
- You can even test ExpressVPN using its limited free trial or the 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re not happy with the service, ask for a refund.
- Comes with unlimited bandwidth.
- Produces some of the fastest speeds up till date, especially if you have paid for a faster internet connection.
- Allows simultaneous connections up to 5 devices so you can protect multiple devices in one go.
- If you’re worried about whether ExpressVPN supports your device you’re in luck because it offers apps for all the popular operating systems and devices. A few of them include Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, Firestick, Linux, Xbox, Apple TV, and more.
- A few notable security features that come with the ExpressVPN app are AES 256-bit encryption, a MediaStreamer feature, Split-tunneling, Perfect Forward Secrecy, and a Kill Switch.
How to choose a VPN that offers a UK IP address
Apart from choosing a VPN that offers a UK IP address, you need to choose one that offers features to balance out its overall performance. Just imagine if the VPN offers a UK IP, but isn’t reliable enough to unblock any UK channels, streaming services or websites? How does that VPN serve its purpose then? There are other things you need to look for when choosing a VPN, they are:
- UK IP address or servers— Of course, to access UK content or UK TV channels and apps, you will need a UK IP address. To get a UK IP, you will need a UK server. Go for a VPN that offers UK servers along with other international servers to access other platforms.
- Ability to unblock UK content as well as other international services – there are times when a VPN might offer specific IP addresses via the virtual servers you connect to, but not all work reliably to unblock UK TV content and other platforms. The providers listed above are the best for unblocking US and UK Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Euro Sport, Sky Sports and more! You could always run a few tests to know if they work, which brings us to the next point.
- Bypasses ISP throttling– it’s a VPN myth that a VPN is designed to offer the fastest speeds. The thing is, most internet service providers often throttling speeds and bandwidth, which slows down the overall speeds of your internet connection. The VPN servers you connect to need to offer fast and reliable servers, and unlimited bandwidth, to help you bypass throttling and downtime.
- Free trial and refund period – most users are new to VPNs and need to test the VPN to get a better idea of how it works or how to use it. The providers above all offer a limited completely free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- VPN security and advanced features – apart from looking for a VPN that offers a UK IP address, the security suite it offers plays a very large role. The most basic but good VPN needs to at least offer 256-bit encryption, and other functional features like a Kill Switch, Split-Tunneling, Leak protection (you can test it), and a strict no-logs policy. To access any kind of restricted or geo-blocked streaming service, website or app, a VPN needs to be reliable enough to keep your connection safe and secure. So, basic VPN security is a necessity for almost everything.
- Supports apps for major devices – the average person uses more than one or two devices daily. Getting a VPN that supports apps for all is a necessity. Plus, the added bonus would be to choose one that supports multiple device connections.
- A reliable support staff – we all need help at some point or the other, especially while setting up a VPN or while choosing the best server or protocol according to what we need the VPN most for. A 24/7 customer support is appreciated, so look for a VPN that offers that kind of perk along with the other VPN features enlisted.
You now know how to get a UK IP address. Hope the tutorial above and the small guide on how to choose a VPN helps you get the best provider, especially if you’re looking for a UK IP address to unblock UK TV content and more! Plus, if you’re on a budget, you should know that the VPNs on the list above offer regular discounts. You can find them on our VPN deals and discounts page.