Need to know how to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia? This guide is just what you need!
By the end of this tutorial, you’ll learn how to access unlimited content on BBC iPlayer in Australia or anywhere else in the world! If you love BBC iPlayer and live anywhere outside of the UK, in this case, Australia, then VPN will help you here. Be it anything on BBC, you will easily be able to access it.
How to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia in 5 simple steps
Take a look below for a simple tutorial on how to get started and watch BBC iPlayer in Australia:
- Subscribe to the VPN that works with BBC iPlayer, I recommend Surfshark because of its highly optimized BBC iPlayer VPN servers in the UK.
- Download and install the VPN app on a supported device, like a desktop, smartphone, tablet, or Smart TV.
- Open the VPN app and sign in to your account.
- Connect to a UK server.
- There you go! Access bbc.co.uk/iplayer, sign in to your BBC iPlayer account, and start streaming it in Australia with great ease!
Now, since you know how to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia, you should also go through the tutorial below, showing you how to sign up for the BBC iPlayer service by creating your account.
Why do you need a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia?
Even if you’re traveling outside the country or live anywhere abroad, you will face geo-restrictions while accessing BBC iPlayer. It would not matter if you have a BBC iPlayer subscription, it’ll all go in vain. However, the tutorial mentioned above will help you in this case as well.
BBC iPlayer is geo-locked and if you’re trying to access it in Australia or anywhere else in the world without a VPN, it will not be possible.
However, just because BBC iPlayer isn’t aired anywhere outside the UK, doesn’t mean you can’t access it. By using a VPN that offers servers in the UK, you’ll be able to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia in no time!
A VPN service provider like Surfshark with a highly optimized UK server enables you to mask your IP address and connect to one of the UK IP addresses it offers. Using it, you will them be able to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia without any setbacks.
How to create a BBC iPlayer account from Australia
To access BBC iPlayer in Australia, you still need to create your account if you do not have it already. The steps are pretty easy, allowing you to create a BBC iPlayer account in Australia in no time. Here’s how:
- First, since you’ve already gone through the steps above, showing you the abridged version of how to watch BBC iPlayer from Australia, then you should know that the first step involves signing up with a VPN and connecting to its UK server.
- Next, go to bbc.co.uk/iplayer, and on the top-left corner of the screen, you’ll see a “Sign In” option. Click on it.
- On the redirection page, click on “Register now.”
- You’ll see two choices, select “16 or over.”
- You’ll now be asked to fill in your date of birth, like so:
- Now, you’ll have to fill out all the other details in the designated fields. Here’s what the sign-up sheet looks like:
- That’s all!
Now, take a look below for an idea on how to select a postcode to register for BBC iPlayer. It’s a continuation of the steps mentioned above.
How do you select a postcode to register with BBC iPlayer?
When you sign up for the service, like in the tutorial above, you’re going to have to enter the United Kingdom in the blank for the country. Apart from that, you’re going to also have to enter a postcode.
The only thing you need to do is Google a random UK postcode, but don’t write it as it is. You’ll have to make some changes.
Insert “1AA” with it. For instance, if you Google a random UK postcode like “E1 7AA”, you’ll have to change the last three characters to “1AA.”
The reason behind this is that there are many postcodes that numerous people use. So by changing the code to E1 1AA, you’re registering with one that is standard and that won’t be detected.
After figuring out the postcode section, simply hit the “Register” button. You’ll now be redirected to another page. Select “No, thanks” and then on “continue.”
Make sure you’re always connected to a VPN with one of the UK IP addresses, and that is fast, secure, and compatible with multiple devices!
Not too sure about which VPN service to go with? How about you take a look below! I’ve rounded up and tested some of the best VPN services for BBC iPlayer, with dedicated servers in the United Kingdom.
The best VPNs to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia
Most users around the world normally scout of the best VPN for BBC iPlayer to access outside the UK. However, because this service is tough to get access to, the VPN you choose needs to be up to the highest standards and performance.
So, if you need to know how to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia with the help of a VPN, you’ll find a list below of top 5 VPNs which are tried and tested:
- It has network coverage of 3200+ servers in 95 countries, all of which include numerous UK IP addresses spread across 3 cities in the United Kingdom. All servers also support P2P.
- The best price at which you can get Surfshark is $2.49/month.
- All these servers can be activated with Smart DNS, allowing you to access services like BBC iPlayer on devices that don’t directly support VPN apps. However, this feature can only be used on one IP address at a time. You can find the full tutorial on the Surfshark Help Center page.
- Great speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Offers advanced security levels like AES 256-bit encryption, a Kill Switch, and NoBorders (to access BBC iPlayer in countries with online surveillance/censorship laws). Others include Camouflage Mode, GPS spoofing and more.
- Allows unlimited device connections and supports numerous operating systems. It offers apps for Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, Firestick, Routers, and others.
- Strict no-logs policy and is headquartered in a privacy-friendly region in the British Virgin Islands.
- Surfshark offers a free trial and a 30-day refund period. You can use that to test the VPN with BBC iPlayer in Australia.
- Also unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, and others.
All-in-all, Surfshark truly makes one of the best VPN services to unblock BBC iPlayer in Australia. There are many more reasons why this provider is known as an all-rounder VPN among users, which is why it tops my list.
- The price to get NordVPN at is $3.29/m
- NordVPN covers a great network coverage of 5000+ servers in 58 countries, all of which include over 440+ servers in the UK! So, if you’re wondering how to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia, simply connect to any one of these UK servers!
- In its list, NordVPN also include Double VPN servers that are strengthened with double encryption and enhanced security. However, according to the chat support agent, they do not recommend it mostly because the speeds are slower as compared to a regular server.
- NordVPN offers a unique SmartPlay feature that isn’t like a regular Smart DNS. It requires no manual configuration, and comes with military-grade encryption. You can use it on any server, and in this case the UK one. It’ll allow you to access content that’s usually very difficult to get a hold of, which in this case is BBC iPlayer within Australia.
- Other advanced features that’ll make streaming on iPlayer a whole lot better include AES 256-bit encryption. There’s also a Kill Switch, CyberSec (to get rid of malicious ads), and DNS / IP leak protection.
- You will be able to watch BBC iPlayer on more than one device, since NordVPN allows up to 6 multi-device connections. It offers apps for Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Firestick, Routers, Browser extensions, PS4, etc.
- When tested, NordVPN delivered some pretty impressive speeds, even on the UK server. It also offers unlimited bandwidth so you can stream on for hours without end on BBC iPlayer.
- Comes with a free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN is one of the strongest providers, and also is one of the fastest. This is why most users label it as a favorite. Its overall performance was exemplary, and will definitely allow users in Australia to experience the best on BBC iPlayer.
- You can get ExpressVPN in the best price, of just $6.67/month.
- The ExpressVPN network coverage extends up to 3000+ servers in 94 countries worldwide! Within this list, it also includes numerous servers in the UK (Docklands, East London, London, and Wembley).
- This VPN includes a MediaStreamer feature that runs on DNS management, which you can use to access BBC iPlayer and other content on other devices through a router’s connection.
- Other ExpressVPN features include a Kill Switch, AES 256-bit encryption, Split-Tunneling, and DNS / IP leak protection.
- ExpressVPN makes one of the best VPN services to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia, also because it’s one of the fastest! You can check its speed test report here. It also comes with unlimited bandwidth, making your overall experience on this service a whole lot better.
- All servers offer P2P support.
- ExpressVPN also unblocks other services like Netflix, HBO, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime and a lot more, from anywhere in the world, including the “Land down under.”
- Where device support is concerned, ExpressVPN offers apps for Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Firestick, Linux, and others. It even allows simultaneous connections on up to 5 devices.
- Strict no-logs policy.
- Comes with a free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee, in case you’re looking to test the ExpressVPN apps for BBC iPlayer.
ExpressVPN is a powerhouse and its overall performance was extremely satisfactory during my testing and review of the entire app. It delivers some of the fastest speeds, high-end security, and allows access to BBC iPlayer. What more could we want?
- CyberGhost offers a huge platform of 8000+ servers in 91 countries, out of which over 723+ servers are in the UK (Berkshire, London, and Manchester).
- What’s great about the CyberGhost app, is that there are specific UK servers already assigned to access BBC iPlayer. It makes it much easier to choose those rather than going through many to find the speediest one.
- You’ll be able to bypass the BBC iPlayer geo-blocks in Australia, with the help of the VPN’s security unit. It operates on military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, has a Kill Switch feature, and doesn’t leak DNS and IP when I tested it.
- Apart from BBC iPlayer, CyberGhost VPN also unblocked many other streaming services. Some of them included Netflix, ESPN, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and a couple others.
- The speeds aren’t the strongest suit, but they’re pretty great overall for HD and 4K streams. It even comes with unlimited bandwidth.
- You’ll be able to connect to the VPN on more than one device since CyberGhost allows simultaneous connections on up to 7 devices. It offers apps for Windows, Firestick, Linux, Android, iOS, and others.
- CyberGhost is located in Romania, which is far away from any 14-eyes surveillanced regions, and also sticks to a strict no-logs policy.
- If you need to test the VPN app, you’re in luck. CyberGhost offers a free trial and a generous 45-day refund policy.
CyberGhost makes a user-friendly app for both beginners and professionals alike. The good part as mentioned in the points above, is that this provider pre-labels servers, making our search for a BBC iPlayer server easier.
- PureVPN is one of the best VPN services to access BBC iPlayer in Australia mostly because of the number of servers it offers in the UK. Its coverage extends to over 6500+ servers in 78+ countries, out of which 600+ are located in the UK (Maidenhead, London, Gosport, and Manchester).
- The PureVPN apps come with great security features, some of which include a Kill Switch, AES 256-bit encryption, Split-Tunneling and more. You can even get add-on features like DDoS protection or Port Forwarding on the UK server.
- Whether you’re in Australia or another country, you’ll be able to access other streaming platforms apart from BBC iPlayer. During testing, I was able to unblock Amazon Prime, Hulu, ESPN, and a few others.
- The speeds were great considering that my internet connection was a little slower. On a local connection of 58.37 Mbps, the UK server scored around 41.26 Mbps. The apps also come with unlimited bandwidth so you can stream on for hours.
- PureVPN offers apps for a great variety of platforms. Some of the more popular ones include Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Linux, Firestick, Chromecast, and more. You’ll also be able to use the VPN app simultaneously on up to 10 devices!
- PureVPN, sadly, offers a 7-day free trial for a small price, and a 31-day refund period. It’s better to use the refund to test the app.
No doubt PureVPN makes a great VPN app for multiple purposes. However, the best traits are seen in the provider’s ability to access a heavily guarded service like BBC iPlayer.
BBC iPlayer not working with my VPN
It’s no doubt that BBC iPlayer is one of the toughest geo-restricted services to get access to, among many others.
Yes, a VPN is your best option to access BBC iPlayer. However, there are circumstances when the VPN you use either doesn’t work with BBC iPlayer or, it could also be related to issues that you could solve on your own.
So, here’s what you can do to fix the issue:
- Make sure you’ve subscribed to a renowned VPN that’s also desired by many. The VPN services on my list are user favorites.
- When you connect to the VPN and to a UK server, also make sure you clear all cookies and cache from the settings, and then restart your browser. This ensures that no unwanted traces are tracked.
- Maybe the device is the issue? Try another one!
- Check your internet connection.
- There are times when one UK server could be experiencing a large user flow. Try switching to another server.
- Regardless of a VPN, you need to change your time zone on your device to one in the UK.
- Check the VPN app for any settings that you may have missed. For instance, always make sure that the leak protection feature is enabled on the app if it offers one.
You can always contact your VPN service provider for additional help.
What BBC iPlayer channels are the best to watch in Australia?
BBC iPlayer is the one-stop to all BBC content, and if you’re in Australia you should definitely give the following a look at. You’ll find a mixture of sports, movies, TV shows, documentaries, music and a lot more!
- BBC Four
- BBC News
- BBC Parliament
- Radio 1
- BBC One
- BBC Two
- BBC Scotland
- BBC Alba
Is the BBC iPlayer free to use?
Yes, BBC iPlayer is technically free to use. The reason I used technically is because you have to pay the annual UK TV license fee to avail of it. However, BBC never asks for the proof so you are good to watch it for free anywhere in the world.
Which VPN can access BBC iPlayer in Australia?
The best VPN to access BBC iPlayer in Australia is Surfshark. It has been tried and tested by many users in Australia and it works perfectly in bypassing geo-restrictions on it.
How to watch BBC iPlayer outside the UK?
Given that BBC iPlayer is only available outside of the UK, accessing it anywhere outside the UK is not possible. This is why using a VPN is the only way to easily watch BBC iPlayer outside the UK.
Is it safe or legal to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia using a VPN?
Yes, it’s legal to use a VPN in Australia, even if it’s for streaming on BBC iPlayer. There aren’t really any laws that say it’s forbidden. Although, because BBC iPlayer comes with copyright or geo-restricted laws, make sure the VPN you use is the best.
Can I use a free VPN to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia?
No, you can’t. Yes, there are many users who connect to a free VPN every now and then, but a free provider isn’t secure nor strong enough for you to access a heavily-guarded streaming service like BBC iPlayer. You’ll experience ISP throttling, poor security, lack of servers, and terrible speeds. Not failing to mention free VPN services often steal user data and sell them to shady third-party sources.
Why can’t I watch BBC iPlayer in Australia without a VPN?
To watch BBC iPlayer or any BBC-related channel/service, you’re going to need a paid UK TV license. However, if you’re moving to Australia, that TV license will go to waste since the service also comes with geo-restrictions. Its content is only created for the people living within the UK.
Is it unsafe to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia without a UK TV license?
No, not really. If you were a resident in the UK and wanted to access BBC iPlayer without a license, you might just get fined. However, this isn’t the case in Australia. Secondly, because you’re using a VPN to access the service, it adds much more anonymity and privacy.
You now know how to watch BBC iPlayer in Australia. From now on Australians should keep in mind that accessing BBC iPlayer will always require a VPN connection of the highest quality like Surfshark.
Furthermore, all the providers mentioned on my list have been tested and produced the best performance throughout. Not forgetting to mention, they offer a large server network in the UK.
Additionally, these VPNs offer affordable packages, which you can keep track of, on our VPN deals and discount page.