Regardless of what VPN you use, Netflix is still one of the toughest platforms to get access to; especially from geo-restricted regions. Keeping that in mind, I’ve shortlisted only 5 free top VPN choices for unblocking Netflix, just in case you’re on a tight budget.
Almost everyone around you is desperately trying to get onto the Netflix bandwagon but excels with a little luck. The thing about Netflix is that the service isn’t available in most countries. And, if it is available, you’ll only have access to one or two libraries, depending on your location.
For example, the people living in Japan won’t have access to the US library. Using a VPN is the only sensible option that will give you access to the Netflix libraries from anywhere in the world.
However, since Netflix actively blocks off the use of VPNs from accessing its services, it’ll be very difficult for you to utilize a free one. This makes the task of choosing a free VPN for Netflix, so much more tactful.
Before moving ahead with how I chose the best free VPN for Netflix, here’s a quick look at the top 5:
- Surfshark – top choice for a free Netflix VPN, offering unlimited data and device connections.
- CyberGhost – a huge refund trial period, and unblocks Netflix and multiple other services.
- NordVPN – unblocks Netflix is many countries worldwide and has the best security features for it.
- Windscribe – comes with a premium and free VPN app for Netflix.
- PrivateVPN – a simple powerhouse VPN that unblocks Netflix.
How to choose a free VPN for Netflix
In most cases, it’s quite difficult to choose the best VPN that works with Netflix, which makes looking for a functional free one double the pressure. There are many providers that pose to be the best, but, are they really?
Keeping into consideration that you can’t just use any premium VPN to unblock Netflix, so picking a free one has to be under equal and minute scrutiny. Here’s what I looked for when choosing a free VPN for Netflix:
- Privacy – to be able to pull off such a big task such as unblocking Netflix or accessing certain libraries, you have to choose a free VPN that has the best or most reliable privacy policies. Although I don’t agree with trying to access restricted content nor do I condone it, but if you’re going to do it, it’s always better you remain safe.
- Security – the more secure your connection, the better it is for you. Certain VPNs are overly priced and some free ones don’t possess any means of security measures. All 5 premium and free VPNs enlisted for Netflix, come with a strong grip on the security front. They also incorporate security features that’ll bypass geo-blocks and give you access to restricted services.
- Speeds and bandwidth – All the VPNs list are capable of producing fast and steady HD streaming speeds, which an ordinary or unknown free VPN would fail to provide. I chose the free VPNs according to the unlimited data capacity they provide or even if not unlimited; offer a decent amount of daily or monthly data.
- Server coverage – There are many streaming services that are blocked or restricted within certain countries, and only the best VPN can help to unblock them. So, if you’re trying to gain access to the US-Netflix library from another country, the VPN you’re using has to come with US servers. Free VPNs usually come with less server coverage, but that’s alright as long as it covers locations that are most in-demand.
The best free VPN for Netflix in 2020
Another thing, before moving on with each provider – I don’t believe in a truly free VPN, especially where unblocking Netflix is concerned.
So, for that, I’ve listed the best premium VPN services that come with a free trial and a reliable refund period to access and test Netflix. Trust me; it’s a way better option than a completely free VPN. In fact, these providers also offer great VPN deals that are affordable.
However, you should know that these providers are budgeted choices too if you feel like investing in the full app later on! So, let’s get started and begin with:
- First, on the list of free VPN for Netflix, we have Surfshark. Hailing from a privacy-friendly region in the British Virgin Islands, full anonymity on the internet will never be a problem.
- Jumping right to what makes Surfshark a part of the free Netflix VPN list, is because of its free trial period for Android and iOS smartphones.
- Besides that, you can also use the Surfshark 30-day refund policy on any supported device; canceling at any time during the given time slot.
- Surfshark is by far one of the best choices for Netflix, and especially since it unblocks the US-library, along with others like France, Japan, the UK, Canada, Netherlands, etc.
- It has around 1700+ servers in 64 countries that you can also use during the free trial. Other streaming services that you can access with Surfshark, include Amazon Prime, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and a lot more.
- You can binge for hours since Surfshark also provides unlimited bandwidth.
- Other perks of using this VPN for Netflix, also lies in the fact that it operates on 256-bit AES encryption, sports a Kill Switch, has a GPS spoofing and Split-tunneling feature, all of which are needed when trying to access restricted services.
- Additionally, you can also use it on multiple supported devices like Windows, macOS, Firestick, browser extensions, Apple TV, and a lot more, since it allows unlimited devices connections.
For more details on its features and performance, you can take a look at my Surfshark review. If you’re ever planning on investing in the complete app, which isn’t any difference compared to the free trial in terms of performance or features, you can do so using its best-budgeted price of $1.99/mo.
- Next on the list for free Netflix VPN, we have another premium and budgeted choice called CyberGhost. Known in the industry as one of the best for preserving its user’s privacy, this Romanian provider is one of the more reliable free choices for accessing Netflix.
- Yes, CyberGhost is a paid product but it also comes with a free trial for mobiles and a huge 45-day refund period, which you can test out to access multiple Netflix libraries.
- It is one of the better free VPN choices for Netflix that also is budgeted if ever interested in the full app.
- You can access other services like Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Go, Disney Plus, and a lot more, using more than one device.
- Some of its supported platforms include Windows, macOS, Firestick, PS4, Apple TV, and other TVs. You can also connect to the VPN using around 7 devices, simultaneously.
- CyberGhost offers around 6000+ servers in 90+ countries, all of which you can connect to using its free trial and refund period.
- Other than this, it rendered really good speeds and additionally also allows unlimited bandwidth during the free run.
- On the security front, CyberGhost offers the same premium features for its free trial as it does for the premium plan. Some of the more notable features are a Kill Switch, 256-bit AES military-encryption, an Ad and Malware blocking feature, and is DNS and IP leak protected.
All-in-all, CyberGhost makes a pretty decent choice for a free Netflix VPN, and if you’re interested in subscribing to its services, you should go for its budgeted price of $2.75/mo. For more information on the provider and how it performs, there’s a CyberGhost review that you can look into.
- Coming to one of the most renowned premium provider for security with the ability to bypass geo-blocks worldwide, we have NordVPN.
- Full online anonymity and privacy on the internet will never be an issue for this Panama VPN, especially NordVPN observes strict no-logging policies.
- NordVPN is a budgeted choice that generally makes a great VPN for Netflix. Also, it makes a great free VPN for Netflix. Free how? It has a variety of 5000+ servers in 59 countries, all of which can be accessed during your free trial period on Android and iOS mobile devices.
- NordVPN unblocks the US Netflix library and more in countries like Canada, Netherlands, Japan, and the UK with great ease.
- You can even further extend this free trial with Netflix by utilizing its 30-day refund. You’ll be able to cancel your account and avail a full refund if you’re not fully satisfied with the service.
- NordVPN allows connections up to 6 devices simultaneously.
- Other platforms it supports include Windows, Apple TV, Firestick, PS4, browser extensions, and much more that’ll make your free Netflix experience a great one.
- NordVPN allows you to access premium security features. Some of these include 256-bit AES encryption, a Kill Switch, DNS, and IP leak protection. Other features include Double VPN, Onion Over VPN, SmartPlay technologies, and a CyberSec feature allowing you to block malicious ads.
If you think that NordVPN would make it on your list for a life-long investment, you should go for its best-budgeted price of $3.71/mo. For a full detailed report, testing its speed and performance, you can have a look at my detailed NordVPN review.
- Windscribe not only offers a premium version of its app but also a completely free one.
- If ever you feel like just going for a basic but free VPN for Netflix, then Windscribe is great.
- It is a Canadian provider, which doesn’t violate the no-data retention policies it holds, even for its free version.
- Even though its premium version of the app allows you to unblock Netflix with dedicated servers by the name of “Windflix”, this doesn’t apply to its free app.
- On the free VPN app for Netflix, you’ll be allowed to utilize servers in 10 locations, which does include the US. This makes it easier for you to unblock the US Netflix library.
- The only downside according to me is that it allows only a 10GB/mo. bandwidth limit.
- But the best part about using the Windscribe free VPN app is that it allows you to make unlimited device connections, which is very rare for a free app.
- Some of the Netflix compatible platforms that Windscribe supports include Windows, Android, iOS, Chrome extensions, Smart TVs, and a lot more.
- The free app provides military-grade encryption the same as the premium app, is DNS and IP leak protected, has a Kill Switch, and a Firewall feature. The features may seem a little limited but this much more than what any other free VPN app provides, especially since Netflix is added to the table.
There’s a lot more to look at, a lot more details for you to get into, which you’ll find in my Windscribe review. The premium version is a little expensive according to me, with the cheapest price being $4.08/mo. But, that’s why there’s a free app! Windscribe also comes with a limited 3-day refund period to test its premium features.
- PrivateVPN is yet another premium VPN that offers a free trial. It is said to be one of the best in the industry right now especially where Netflix is concerned.
- Using the PrivateVPN free trial, you can access an unrestricted and unlimited Netflix experience. It has around 150+ servers covering around 60 countries. The server coverage is a little small, but it serves its purpose quite nicely.
- You can connect to its entire server list when using the free version for Netflix; allowing you access to more than just the US library, some of which include Canada, Australia, Japan, and the UK.
- Allows you to simultaneously connect up to 6 devices.
- Some supported platforms include Windows, Android, iOS, browser extensions, Kodi, and more.
- It operates on military-grade 256-bit AES encryption and also has a Kill Switch for the Windows client.
- Besides Netflix, you’ll have access to other geo-blocked streaming services. Some include Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, HBO Go, and a lot more.
If you need a little more time, you can extend your trial using the PrivateVPN 30-day refund policy. All you have to do is subscribe to its premium services and use it for free. It’s free because you can easily ask for a full-refund during or on the 30th day. So, if PrivateVPN fits you perfectly, you can invest in the PrivateVPN premium app, with the cheapest price at $3.82/mo., for 13 months.
How do you get started with a free Netflix VPN?
It doesn’t take much to get started. Below you’ll find simple steps, showing you how to get a free VPN for Netflix. You first have to:
- Sign up or subscribe to the cheapest price or the most suitable one according to you, unless it’s Windscribe which only requires you singing up. I’ve recommended 4 other great free Netflix VPNs besides Windscribe, which include, Surfshark, CyberGhost, NordVPN, and PrivateVPN
- Once you sign up, download the app onto a supported device.
- Install it and launch the app.
- Sign in to your account and connect to the best server. This depends on which Netflix library you’re trying to access.
- Now, either open the Netflix app or head over to its website. You’ll be redirected to the Netflix library depending on the server location you connected to.
- Choose a movie or series and start binging!
Is it safe to use a free VPN for Netflix?
Honestly, no, it isn’t. This is exactly why I chose known and premium VPN providers that offer free versions, free trials, or refund policies.
Trying to access a platform like Netflix isn’t a small deal. By trying to unblock its services, you’re basically about to violate certain policies. Neither I nor topvpnservice condones any violations or breaches of the law.
I’m only here to inform my readers about the best possible free VPNs to use in order to stay safe. Always go for a VPN that is familiar. However, if the provider is new to you, go through plenty of other user reviews as I do. Reviews and user experience always vary according to where they’re located.
How to lift the Netflix ban with a free VPN?
The only way to get across the Netflix ban is by using the best VPN there is. However, some of us always opt for a free one. I always say to go for a affordable choice or a premium one with a free trial period.
In this case, we’re choosing a free provider. Always make sure that the VPN has or comes with great speed and a reasonable amount of servers. This gives you the opportunity to make several server switches. It changes your IP address, in order to access multiple Netflix libraries.
Using a free VPN for Netflix is not always the wisest choice. But that’s exactly why you should consider using any one of the freemium Netflix VPNs provided on my list. I’ve recommended 5 (Surfshark, CyberGhost, NordVPN, Windscribe, and PrivateVPN). They all come with heavy encryption, server coverage, and steady speeds.