Getting the best out of your Apple TV can be a huge task, especially if you’re living within regions that don’t support iTunes, or maybe you just can’t gain access to certain streaming platforms. Now, with the best VPN for Apple TV, you can welcome unlimited possibilities! Keep reading!
The thing is, using an Apple TV can make you feel like you’ve struck gold. However, getting access to certain movies, TV shows, live streams, etc, can be a little bit of a tactful task. This is mostly because the content you’re trying to gain access to, varies from region to region.
For instance, Netflix is accessed full-on in the US, while it is restricted in India.
On the other hand, if you travel abroad and happen to take your Apple TV device along with you, say to a third world country that comes with geo-restrictions or to countries within the 14-eyes alliance, I doubt you’re going to be able to access your iTunes account, regardless of the fact that you’re still paying for it.
Only the best VPN for Apple TV will allow you to stream unlimited content from all over the globe while paving open access to use your Apple TV from wherever you are. However, everyone who’s acquainted with the VPN world should know that only a limited number of VPNs that work well with multiple devices.
It’s a fact that Apple TV doesn’t support VPN software. So, all-in-all you should know that to connect a VPN to your Apple TV, the ones you pick will have to be VPN supported routers.
This is why my 5 top picks for the best Apple TV VPN are:
- Surfshark – connect to unlimited devices including your Apple TV at great speeds.
- NordVPN – uses SmartPlay technology to unblock streaming services on Apple TV.
- ExpressVPN – best for accessing Netflix on Apple TV, using MediaStreamer feature.
- CyberGhost – perfect for anonymity while accessing streaming services on Apple TV.
- FastestVPN – a budgeted Apple TV VPN with strong security backing.
How the best Apple TV VPN was chosen
The thing is, no matter what product you need to invest in, always make sure you know exactly what you’re looking for. It could depend on the durability of a VPN or just for security needs.
Either way, when choosing the best VPN for Apple TV, always follow a certain criterion. I selected these 5 providers based on:
- A wide list of servers, which will not only unblock multiple streaming platforms but also servers from locations that allow you to connect into your iTunes accounts.
- Reliable privacy policies and a strong encryption backing.
- Unlimited bandwidth and steady speeds for ultra HD 4K streaming.
- Device compatibility and allowance of multi-device connections.
- Trustworthy free trial periods and refund policies.
- A helpful 24/7 customer support staff.
The best VPNs for Apple TV – Discussing their perks
Here’s a little on what makes each of these 5 providers the best choice for Apple TV. We start with:
One of the main reasons why Surfshark made it to this list is because of its capacity to support unlimited device connections per subscription. Apart from it being practically free, it provides app support for multiple platforms.
Some of these include Windows, iOS, and macOS, Android, Linux, Firestick, routers, and much more. The thing is, since there’s no dedicated VPN app for Apple TV, it will have to be connected through a supported router.
Coming to the fun bit, Surfshark has around 1700+ servers in 64 countries. This gives you ample room to scout for the best server that supports iTunes from wherever you may be. You can even test this out using the Surfshark free trial.
Other than that it also allows you to stream through restricted platforms like Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime Video, and much more, with solid speeds for 4K streaming.
Security has always been on the best list for Surfshark features, operating on military-grade encryption on OpenVPN protocol; adding a built-in Kill Switch to the math. It also includes SmartDNS technologies, allowing you to access unlimited geo-blocked content worldwide.
This is just a small part of what Surfshark offer, for more details and a broader insight; you can have a look at my Surfshark review.
By reputation and according to personal usage, NordVPN is definitely a top contender for the list of best Apple TV VPNs.
Providing both extreme speeds and steady security measures to back it up, it automatically hits as one of the best for your Apple device.
To start things off, it offers a smart DNS proxy feature by the name of SmartPlay. This feature allows you to access geo-blocked content like HBO NOW, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and a lot more, by setting it up directly with your router.
And, speaking of routers, NordVPN also provides pre-flashed routers, making it easier for you to unblock content. However, if you’re dead set on using the compatible router you already have, not to worry, NordVPN does provide step-by-step guides, showing you how to manually setup.
Unblocking content won’t be that difficult considering that the VPN covers around 5500+ servers in 59 countries.
You can also connect to other supported devices like Windows, Firestick, iOS, Android, and more; simultaneously since it allows up-to 6 multi-device connections. To check out its entire list of supported devices and overall performance, there’s a NordVPN review to support it.
Now, let’s come back to what NordVPN is renowned for; its security. It operates on 256-bit encryption which is basically impenetrable. It also includes a default Kill Switch.
You can test these out for free using the NordVPN free trial testing period. If you think that’s not enough, NordVPN also covers you with a 30-day refund policy.
ExpressVPN is by far one of the best VPN providers according to me. Its overall performance has hit the tip in providing its users with profound streaming experiences.
First of all, this provider runs its own smart DNS proxy by the name of MediaStreamer.
This pretty much allows you to unblock extremely restricted and censored streaming services worldwide. Using its 3000+ servers in 94 countries, you can access services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer; you can even run Kodi with it.
To check its speed and overall performance, you’ll find its detailed test results in my ExpressVPN review.
Secondly, what’s even more impressive is that ExpressVPN also makes its own router firmware, which will go great with the router you already have, that’s if it’s VPN compatible. You don’t need to spend long hours trying to manually set up your router with the VPN, for your Apple TV.
ExpressVPN is known to have a strong security front, operating on bank-grade encryption. Additionally, it has an active Kill Switch and a Split-Tunneling feature. You can try testing out the app using its free trial period; springing along with an additional 30-day refund policy.
CyberGhost is known by many to promote and come through with the best privacy or anonymity for its users. This makes it all the more a great choice for setting it up with your Apple TV. To stream 4K content from a restricted region, you’re definitely going to need all the anonymity you can get.
This is because most streaming services aren’t available where you are, and might be due to copyright laws.
However, with CyberGhost, you don’t have to worry about that. It allows access to multiple streaming platforms like BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and more.
As for gaining immediate access, CyberGhost offers around 6000+ servers in 90 countries, offering great speeds and unlimited bandwidth. There are far greater features for you to look into, in my CyberGhost review.
CyberGhost makes a great VPN option for your Apple TV and considering the fact that it also supports pre-flashed routers, so you can now set it up either manually or just by entering in your CyberGhost credentials.
You can put this to the test since CyberGhost comes with a reliable 45-day refund policy with premium access.
Just in case you haven’t exactly heard of this VPN provider, it’s about time you did. There are many unsought VPN providers like FastestVPN, which haven’t been given proper recognition.
Having personally tried and test out the app, I can easily place it as one of the top 5 VPNs for your Apple TV. Plus, it’s a budgeted option!
Using the FastestVPN app, you can either manually set it up on a supported router, since the app carries support to routers DD-WRT, Tomato, Asus, and much more.
The only downside is that FastestVPN doesn’t provide any pre-flashed routers, so you’re probably going to have to set it up manually.
With the FastestVPN app, you’ll be unblocking multiple streaming services from all over the world, well at least the ones that Apple TV provides. You’ll be unlocking Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, DAZN, BBC iPlayer, Hotstar, and a whole bunch of other channels, using around 350+ servers spread across 39+ locations.
Since FastestVPN also allows you to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously, you can utilize your VPN with 10 devices as well as unlimited other platforms that have no dedicated app, by using a router.
Also, since FastestVPN is a budgeted VPN, it offers no free trial, but a reliable 15-day refund policy. You’re welcome to check out its detailed performance in my FastestVPN review.
How to set-up a VPN on Apple TV
We’ve gone through much detail regarding what each of the 5 VPNs for your Apple TV provides. Now, it’s time to set it up.
This set-up guide will just give you a general idea regarding getting started. If you still have a difficult time understanding each method, you can contact the support chat of each VPN provider for further queries. They’re available 24/7!
Regardless of what Apple TV you have, whether it’s the 1st, 4th, or 5th generation, it’s still not directly compatible with VPN apps. As mentioned before, there are other ways for you to access a stable VPN connection for your Apple TV. They’re done by:
- Using a Router
- Creating a Wifi Hotspot
- DNS Settings
We first start with:
Using a Router
The thing about using a VPN on your router highly depends on whether or not the router you use supports a VPN. Some routers come pre-flashed, while others don’t. If you don’t already own a pre-flashed router, there are other methods to connect your Apple TV to the VPN.
But first, here’s a general guide showing you how to get started with a router:
- First, make sure you flash your router with either DD-WRT or Tomato. Make sure you look up the type of device you’re using. Not all routers will support this firmware.
- Login to your router and enter in your routers IP address. It’s usually either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, if in case it’s neither of the two, contact your ISP and ask for the credentials.
- Once entered, navigate through the Admin panel and upgrade the router.
- Click on upload and wait for it to proceed.
- Once uploaded, restart your device and log into it again.
- Configure the VPN settings on the router.
- Sign in to your account, connect to the best server, and connect your Apple TV with the VPN protected router.
- That’s it! Enter in whichever streaming site you’d like to unblock and proceed.
Creating a Wifi Hotpot
Just in case pre-flashing your router doesn’t interest you, there’s another way for you to connect the VPN to your Apple TV. This involves creating a secure Wifi connection through a Hotspot. This is far easier to work with as compared to connecting to a Router.
But again, this will only work if you have a Windows desktop/laptop or a macOS pc. The thing is, these platforms already come with built-in options to share Wifi or Ethernet connections.
To give you a brief idea on how to get started, you first begin by:
- Going to the “Network & Internet” option and click on “Status”.
- Then under the option of “Change your network settings“, click on “Change adaptor options”.
- Proceed by finding your VPN provider name. It depends on what connection you’re connected to. Either way, you’ll probably find it under the name of an unidentified Ethernet network or your VPN provider’s name.
- Right-click and select “Properties”, followed by “Sharing”. Tick the box where it says “Allow other network users…computer’s Internet connection” and then under the “Select your networking connection“, click on the VPN connection that you’re adding.
- Click on “OK”.
- To make sure your Apple TV is actually connected to the VPN, restart the connection and connect to it again.
This is another way to access content from Apple TV, but the only downside of this is that it comes without any encryption or security. This is because you don’t have to connect to the VPN, but just change the DNS settings on your Apple TV.
Some VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN come fully prepped with Smart DNS proxies by the name of MediaStreamer and SmartPlay, making it extremely easy to access restricted streaming services. To get started:
- On your Apple device, go to the main menu and click on “Settings” followed by “Network”.
- You’ll have to go through the list to find your current network. Once found, click on “Configure DNS” followed by “Manual”.
- Type in the address of the DNS proxy. You can directly ask your VPN provider for the address.
- Click on “Done”.
- “Reboot” your Apple TV and start streaming.
As mentioned earlier, if you require to use the Smart DNS proxies to access streaming points, keep in mind that the only services you’ll be provided with is streaming access. No amount of security or speed limit, nor privacy will be added, since you’re not actually connecting to the VPN.
Can I use a free VPN for Apple TV?
No, and I wouldn’t recommend it either.
First off, it’s extremely difficult to find an Apple TV VPN with the provision of premium services that actually work smoothly for it. So, the question is, how can a free VPN provide features and performance of a similar standard?
Free VPNs don’t provide apps for Apple TV so you could try setting it up, using a router. But, again, a free VPN only and usually allows you to connect to one device at a time, so, it’ll just be the router for now.
On the other hand, there is an option of using an OpenVPN connection to connect to the device, but that still strings along with unlimited risks and limitations of usage. So what’s the point really?
Other than that, you know the “free VPN” drill. If you aren’t paying for its services, you have to compromise somehow, and of course, that’s without your consent. All the VPNs provided on my list come with a free trial and premium features. So, why not use that instead?
Plus, along with connecting the VPN through a router, for your Apple TV, you’ll be met with more advantages, like, extended device compatibility, and an allowance towards simultaneous device connections.
Why do we need a VPN for Apple TV?
A VPN is designed to serve multiple purposes. Choosing the best Apple TV VPN also means selecting one for multiple purposes. Keeping that in light, here are a couple of reasons why you need a VPN for your Apple TV and also why we chose them:
- Access to multiple streaming services – That’s probably the number one reason why you’d need a VPN for your Apple TV. Most streaming services on the Apple box vary in availability depending on where you reside. The VPNs I provided on my list, can help you unblock or bypass these geo-restrictions.
- Privacy/Anonymity – Accessing certain streaming services also requires privacy and anonymity. There’s a reason why most of these services are blocked. To access them, you have to ensure that your physical location and identity aren’t compromised within the process.
- Geo-Spoofing – Sometimes you may have access to multiple streaming services within the US, but what about when you travel to another country that doesn’t allow it? You’ll be locked out of your own iTunes account. To access it, you’re going to need an Apple TV VPN with multiple servers for you to connect to, depending on your requirements.
How do you unblock US Netflix on Apple TV?
It’s quite simple. All you have to do is:
- Subscribe to one of the Apple TV VPNs mentioned on this list. I’ve recommended 5. (Surfshark, CyberGhost, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and FastestVPN).
- Once you connect the app to your Apple TV using one of my three guides, connect to a US server on the VPN app.
- Head to your Apple TV settings and change the location of your iTunes account to a US one.
- Open the Netflix website, and start streaming!
Accessing content on your Apple TV will be easier than you think if you use any one of the provided Apple TV VPNs on my list. They all come with the ability to unblock multiple streaming services, provide the best speed results, and do not leak your IP and DNS.
If you’re a little uncertain about the VPN providers, which is more than understandable, you should go through extremely detailed VPN reviews, before making any hasty decisions. Remember, most VPNs for Apple TV like the ones on my list, always come with a free testing period or refund policies. This makes things easier for you to decide!