Besides Japan having the best Ramen, it’s also known for being one of the most advanced countries in the world. However, despite the fact that they’re the sole creators of some of the best technology, it is among a few countries that hold tight surveillance laws. To skip around these laws, you’ll need the best VPN for Japan.
No, Japan isn’t among the strictest countries in the world when it comes to online freedom, and in fact, is pretty flexible. But, when it comes to downloading copyrighted content or illegal international streaming, that’s when the Japanese government puts its foot down.
So, before proceeding ahead, here are the 5 best Japanese VPNs, allowing you unrestricted streaming and safe online connections. They are:
- Surfshark – Has US and Japanese servers; for fast speeds and allows unlimited device connections.
- NordVPN – Has strong VPN security features. VPN access in Japan to streaming services like Netflix, with unlimited bandwidth.
- ExpressVPN – Top VPN provider with good security for Japan. Has decent speeds, P2P optimized servers, and aids in accessing geo-blocked platforms.
- CyberGhost – VPN with the best privacy policies, great download speeds, and has 92 servers in Japan.
- FastestVPN – Bypass geo-blocks on platforms like Disney Plus and Amazon Prime.
The best VPN for Japan
A VPN just like every other great software or product; has many replicas of it. Not all are great, some are cheaper than others, and only a few are functional; delivering great performance.
So, if you need the best VPN for Japan, you’re going to need one that delivers towards your specific needs. One that provides access to international and local streaming services worldwide, with the best security features, and offers the best VPN discounts.
So, here’s a little about each VPN showing you just how great they are for Japan. Starting with:
1. Surfshark – Best choice for Japan providing Japanese IP
- Known as an all-rounder in the VPN industry, hailing from the British Virgin Islands, a privacy friendly region, observing strict privacy and no-logging policies.
- In terms of location coverage, it has 3200+ servers in 65 countries, with servers included in Japan.
- Its security features include military-grade encryption on OpenVPN protocol, a Kill Switch, GPS Spoofing, Whitelister (split-tunneling), and more.
- It produces reasonably good speeds depending on the servers you connect to in comparison to your physical location.
- It provides unlimited bandwidth, and access to stream through any geo-restricted platforms with ease like Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime.
- It’s also compatible with a wide series of major devices and apps, which include Windows, FireTVstick, iOS, macOS, Android, browser extensions, Nvidia Shield, and more.
Surfshark is a diverse VPN and a great choice for Japan. If you think you’d like to get to know the VPN a little more before investing, try out the limited time Surfshark free trial for 7-days on iOS and Android smartphones. You can also dive into its 30-day refund on top of any paid subscription!
To check out its full performance, take a hop into my Surfshark review.
2. NordVPN – Top-notch security for Japan, having 84 Japanese servers
- This Panama born VPN provides a strong grounding on security backed with its strict no data-retention policies.
- It covers 5000+ servers in 59 countries, with the inclusion of 84 servers in Japan, allowing you to stream through unlimited content worldwide.
- Nord utilizes the 256-GCM AES encryption with the 2044-bit DH key making it double protected. It has a Kill Switch, DNS and IP leak protection, a CyberSec feature, Double VPN, and other superlative features that you can go through in my NordVPN review.
- In terms of streaming and torrenting, it has optimized servers that can give you access to restricted services like Disney Plus, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer.
- Its compatibility is leveled up to supporting major devices and apps for Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Linux, and others.
- NordVPN even has a dedicated Firestick VPN app to stream your favorite shows in Japan.
- Where speeds are concerned, Nord offers the best with unlimited bandwidth. NordVPN has proven to be one of the best VPN services in its field, making it an exceptional option for Japan.
You can now put NordVPN to the test using its 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobile devices or test it out for a longer time using the 30-day refund. Not happy with the NordVPN services? No problem! You can ask for a refund and cancel your account at any time.
3. ExpressVPN – Best for international and local streaming in Japan
- Besides Surfshark, we have another British Virgin Island VPN, called ExpressVPN. Keeping that in mind, your chances of an internet experience for maximum privacy and anonymity are very high!
- It has around 3000+ servers in a huge coverage of 94 countries. This is inclusive of servers in Japan. Most of its servers deliver the best speeds.
- Besides having a wide coverage, it runs on tight security features like bank-grade AES 256-bit encryption, a Kill Switch, Split-tunneling, runs a private and encrypted DNS, inbuilt Speed Test feature to check out the best server for you.
- It also produces some of the best speeds with no bandwidth limit for torrenting and streaming on platforms like HBO GO, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Netflix, and others.
- Keeping compatibility in mind, it also supports major devices for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, Linux, Routers, FirestickTV, and a lot more.
- It also has a built-in feature called MediaStreamer which aids in accessing restricted streaming sites, worldwide. So, even if you’re in Japan, just connect to the VPN using any one of its servers to access these streaming services.
If you feel that ExpressVPN is a little overpriced, I’d suggest to first try it out using its free trial or 30-day refund. You can always ask for a refund and account cancelation if you’re not happy with the service.
You can check out a full list of its details in my ExpressVPN review.
4. CyberGhost – Best for privacy in Japan, having 91 Japanese servers
- Since surveillance and online censorship is practiced a lot in Japan, definitely consider this Romanian based VPN, known for its privacy and no-logging policies.
- Covering a wide platform of 6000+ servers in 90 countries, with around 91 servers located in Japan.
- Coming to its security features, it runs on 256-bit AES encryption, has a Kill Switch, an Automated HTTPS Redirect, and a Data Compressor which is best when traveling to Japan, a split-tunneling feature called Exceptions, and much more.
- It provides access to some of the biggest geo-restricted websites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, HBO GO, and access to local Japanese content.
- Speaking of streaming, its servers are also P2P optimized and provide unlimited bandwidth and good download speeds.
- It supports a wide platform of devices and apps for Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, browser extensions, Linux, Fire TV.
Besides the CyberGhost free trial, it also comes with a long 45-day refund period on top of any subscription. You’ll be able to test its premium features on multiple supported devices and not pay a dime if you cancel on time.
For a detailed look at its performance and features, here’s a CyberGhost review.
5. FastestVPN – Budgeted VPN for Japan
- FastestVPN being based in the Cayman Islands opens up wider opportunities to stream endlessly on international streaming platforms like Disney Plus, Popcorn Time, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and a lot more with the best security measures possible.
- It has around 350+ servers in 31+ countries, with the inclusion of severs in Japan.
- Coming to its security, it runs on 256-bit AES encryption, on all the major protocols including OpenVPN, has a Kill Switch, Split-tunneling, Smart Connect feature for the best servers, and more that you can see in my FastestVPN review.
- Besides streaming, its servers are P2P optimized; also providing unlimited bandwidth and great speeds.
- It allows you multiple device options with support towards devices and apps for Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Roku, and Kodi.
Why do you need a VPN in Japan?
Before discussing my list of top VPNs for various purposes, I like giving a quick briefing on how I chose them. But, in the case of needing a VPN in Japan, it’s quite different. Japan is home to some of the best inventions in tech, for instance, PlayStation, but there are other factors that might come in the way of full internet freedom:
The Japanese government is extremely strict when it comes to downloading copyright material; resulting in serious consequences. It can be torrenting from Pirate Bay or even streaming on Netflix since it comes with copyrights. And believe me, the consequences can result in jail time. So, if you plan on indulging in blocked streaming platforms, the only way to safely access them with full privacy is by using a VPN in Japan.
Unknown internet sources
There are other reasons why you may need a VPN in Japan. It also goes back to needing one to protect yourself from unknown Wi-Fi sources or protecting your devices from hackers just waiting for opportunities.
Accessing geo-restricted streaming services
Streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime are blocked in many countries including Japan. These are due to geo-restrictions held by the government and also because Netflix itself is serviced to only certain countries in the world.
Accessing Japanese content from abroad
Also, when traveling abroad, you’re probably going to be blocked off from accessing any Japanese content for free from back home, it also includes the Japanese Netflix library. For this, you need the best VPN for Japan that additionally offers Japanese IP addresses.
Torrenting is by far almost illegal throughout the entire world, including Japan. I, nor topvpnservice, by no means condone any activities you choose to do in your time. Torrenting copyrighted content in Japan is considered a serious offense. I mean, torrenteers could face serious jail time and more. However, what I can tell you is if you feel like going ahead with it, you should do it safely. The only way around it is with the best VPN for torrenting.
Online censorship – masking your identity
Other reasons include the widespread of hateful or wrongful comments over social media platforms. To avoid this, the government does routinely monitoring; with regular surveillance around the internet activities by many users. To get a full report of why you definitely need a VPN in Japan, why don’t you check out a blog on “The Freedom on the Net” in Japan by FreedomHouse.org.
How to choose the best VPN for Japan?
Do you have any idea how many VPNs are there in the industry? With the fast pacing issues regarding cybercrimes and online surveillances, it makes the topmost agenda where cyber-security is concerned. There are a ton of great VPN services, but not all fit certain criteria depending on your needs.
For this instance, choosing the best VPN for Japan depends on a bucket load of factors regarding its online surveillance and censorship issues. Most of these factors are the backbone, showing you just what VPN you need and one that’s best for Japan.
So, to choose the most suitable Japanese VPN for you, consider looking at these pointers. They include:
1. Platform of servers
This may seem like an unimportant factor, but it isn’t. When looking for a VPN, let alone one for Japan, look for one that doesn’t have the biggest but should incorporate server locations with the best coverage.
This means for Japan, taking into regard its censorship issues, you’ll need a VPN with US or UK servers. This unblocks multiple entertainment platforms that are blocked in most parts of the world. Secondly, go for one that provides Japanese IP addresses, to unblock and binge on Japanese cable TV or watch local anime when traveling abroad.
2. Tight security encryption and other advanced features
There’s nothing better than a VPN that’s rich in features. Some VPNs claim to have the best security, but when you come to check them they lack overall performance. For choosing the VPN with profound functionality, also take a look at what the greater amount of people are using. All the VPNs enlisted are in the top 10 VPNs in the industry.
A good VPN always runs top-grade encryption, has a Kill Switch by default, and supports all the major protocols, offers DNS and IP leak protection, and other advanced features like GPS Spoofing or Split-tunneling.
3. Speeds and unlimited bandwidth
What’s the point of a VPN if not for great speeds and unlimited bandwidth? Without that, all you’re left with is string security backing and that’s about it.
To enhance the speed of your VPN performance, always tweak around with the servers. Most US servers are best for streaming on Netflix or Disney Plus. To watch these servers you need to either connect to a server location that’s not only close to you but one that also has the ability to unblock these services.
If a US server is what you need, then connect to a US server that offers greater speeds. There are ways to check that out. If your VPN doesn’t have an in-built speed tester like ExpressVPN, then go to a website like speedtest.net and weigh your options.
4. Stable privacy and no data-logging policies
To choose a VPN with the best privacy policies, they need to originate from privacy-friendly regions that observe a watertight no data-retention law. This is extremely important, especially considering your online activities are already in cahoots by the government.
Knowing that downloading pirated content is or streaming movies on limited platforms is illegal, it could easily trigger off your ISP or the government into keeping an eye on you. For this, go for a VPN that offers an ample amount of privacy and strong encryption, keeping both your identity and physical location safe.
5. Refund or trial periods
That’s the best thing, you’ll be able to check out all its premium services with great speeds and unthrottled bandwidth. And of course, you won’t even have to pay a dime. If ever during the refund period you’re not fully satisfied with the services, you can simply ask for a refund during the time period.
6. Multiple devices and simultaneous connections
To choose the best VPN for Japan, always go for one that supports multiple devices and apps for major devices like Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Smart TVs, browser extensions, and many more depending on the device you mostly use. Secondly, go for a VPN that allows you to make multiple-device connections per subscription.
For example, did you know that Surfshark allows unlimited device connections? That’s practically free!
How to access the Japanese Netflix library from anywhere
If you know a great deal about Netflix, you should also know that it has a number of libraries included in its service. Netflix is a US-based streaming service that almost everyone in the world is trying to gain access to. Why, you ask? Well, copyright reasons. Just because Netflix is available in many parts of the world, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to access all its libraries.
For instance, the most in-demand library is the US one, and to access it, you’re either going to have to live in the US or get yourself the best VPN to access it. In the same way, there are many Japanese movie fans all around the globe, including Japanese born citizens who’ve moved abroad.
Once abroad, you’re not going to be able to access any Japanese movies from the JP library, due to geographic restrictions. So to gain access to it, you’re going to have to:
- Make sure you’ve signed up with the best VPN for Japan that provides Japanese IP addresses. I’ve recommended 5.
- Sign up for Netflix.
- Open the VPN and connect to a Japanese server.
- Proceed to Netflix and you’ll be met with the Japanese library.
- Start watching!
However, if you still face any more difficulties, here’s what you can do:
- Check to see if you’ve connected to any GPS related apps and disable it.
- Disconnect from your Google accounts.
- While you’re logging out, also check to see which time zone you’ve logged in as. If you need Japan Netflix, then change the clock to Japan’s time zone. Netflix can go to great lengths to unveil your actual IP.
- Tweak around with the server location you’re connected to. Disconnect and connect again to it, achieving a different Japanese IP address.
- Accessing restricted platforms usually calls for extra settings like clear your cookies and cache from the settings on any device you’re using.
- Make sure to disable the IPv6 from your devices.
Can I use a free VPN in Japan?
I don’t know, do you want to get ripped off? Hate to be blunt but free VPNs just don’t cut it in my books. Many users including myself were completely delusional when it came to “free VPNs”. There is literally no such thing! Metaphorically speaking.
Using a free VPN will only get you a limited platform of servers, not much you can choose from. They also produce extremely lethargic speeds and throttling bandwidth. It’s like borrowing money from someone with no returns only to find out you have to return the favor in kind. Free VPNs may not cost you a dime, but it sure does cost you a lot more. You’ll be putting your data or private information that you log online, at risk.
Free VPN services often sell their VPN users details to third party clients. That’s the fee you’ll be paying. Most of them might have military-grade encryption, but what good is that if you’re not going to be able to access multiple services?
Are VPNs illegal in Japan?
No, they’re not!
The thing is, Japan provides ample freedom to its users to stream the net as they please. The government only puts a foot down when it comes to downloading copyrighted content or streaming on international platforms that are geo-blocked. It isn’t mentioned anywhere that the use of VPNs is looked down upon.
Although, just because there isn’t a tight hold on censorship in Japan, it’s still more than wise to use a VPN for the safer side. Hackings are always at large and can strike at almost any given time. So, stay protected with a Japan VPN while you can!
As I and probably many others have mentioned, there are many VPNs in the industry. Even though there is an abundance of great ones, you’ll have to go through certain criteria to pick the best according to what you need.
In this case, I’ve listed the best VPN for Japan (Surfshark, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, and FastestVPN) based on the ongoing issues in online surveillance and censorship in the country. All these top providers are capable of providing the best security through high-end encryption, and its ability to unblock restricted entertainment platforms worldwide.
To Summarize, the Best VPNs for Japan are…..
|Rank||Provider||Our Score||User Rating|