Vietnam is one of the strictest countries in the world, especially in their online laws. If you’re ever planning on visiting Vietnam, be sure to take the best VPN along with you!
Online surveillance on its own is haunting to understand, but in a country like Vietnam, they’ve seemed to take it up a notch. Any website (which is almost every website) that is accessed against their law, is punishable.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a tourist within the country. If you’re caught on the wrong side of the internet, websites or platforms that might be considered normal throughout the world, the consequences are harsh.
So, why take a risk? Why put your privacy on the line? Why give up your internet freedom entirely?
Since you’ll be needing a VPN in Vietnam, you should know that not every provider is capable enough, nor reliable. I’ve put several suitable options through a series of tests, and shortlisted only the best. They were picked on a number of factors, but first here’s a quick look at them:
- Surfshark – budgeted, secure and fast VPN to use in Vietnam, at $2.49/mo.
- NordVPN – strongest VPN security for users in Vietnam at $3.49/mo.
- ExpressVPN – the highest speeds, and good security for users in Vietnam at $6.67/mo.
- IPVanish – US-based provider, unblocks multiple streaming websites in Vietnam at $3.25/mo.
- CyberGhost – added online privacy and user-friendly app for users in Vietnam at $2.75/mo.
How the best VPN for Vietnam was chosen
The risk factor will always be at its peak when choosing a reliable and safe VPN software, especially for a country like Vietnam. The censorship, surveillance, and mass media control is no secret in Vietnam. It’s real and it’s happening. Just like China and its Great Firewall, Vietnam has also enforced a similar shield called the “Bamboo Firewall”.
There are countless of top premium VPN software in the industry, but not all are recommended for users in Vietnam.
So, keeping that in light, when choosing the best VPN, make sure you follow certain guidelines and look for specific features, just how these top 5 providers were selected. Here’s how I selected them:
- Privacy and security are the main focal points in Vietnam; it’s what’s lacking. So I picked these 5 based on the encryption and privacy policies they offer. Each is built on AES 256-bit encryption, has a Kill Switch, and offers other advanced features. Their privacy terms layout a strict no-logs policy.
- Most websites, channels, apps, streaming services, and social platforms are blocked within Vietnam. I tested each VPN on the list to make sure they were strong enough to access them.
- The Vietnam VPNs chosen, also come with extensive server coverage. This will allow you to not only unblock streaming services but also shield your physical location and IP address.
- They offer Vietnamese IP addresses to access local content from abroad.
- Speeds and unlimited bandwidth also play an important role. Each VPN was tested for maximum speeds, enough even for HD and 4K streaming.
- Other factors revolved around the best VPN discounts, compatibility with all the major operating systems, the safety of jurisdiction, and free trials.
The best VPN for Vietnam in 2020
As mentioned, there are a whole lot of other providers in the industry, and not all are acceptable when it comes to strict and heavily censored/surveillanced regions like Vietnam. After going through hundreds of providers, these top 5 VPNs were tested, and chosen for their ability to withstand against harsh restrictions.
Here’s what makes them great:
- Surfshark might be new to some or when compared to other older VPNs, but it sure does grow in reliability day by day. It is located in the British Virgin Islands, safe from the 14-eyes regions.
- This VPN covers strict no-logging policies and delivers in performance. The people of Vietnam or tourists traveling there won’t be at risk, when online within the country.
- It has around 1700+ servers in 64 countries, including coverage in Vietnam. The server coverage keeps growing over short periods, which is great!
- When put under testing, I was able to unblock multiple international channels, websites and apps using various Surfshark servers. The speeds were great too.
- A few of the platforms it unblocked, include Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Facebook, BBC iPlayer, as well as local websites in Vietnam.
- Supports P2P.
- Coming to security, privacy and encryption is important for any software in Vietnam. Surfshark is built suing AES 256-bit encryption, has a Kill Switch, and is DNS/IP leak protected and more. There’s also a Multi-Hop feature, allowing you to connect to two servers in one go, adding double the anonymity.
- When it comes to Surfshark’s device compatibility, it supports all the major platforms. The added perk is that Surfshark also allows unlimited device connections. A few of the supported devices include Android, Windows, iOS, Linux, Android TV, PS4, macOS, Firestick, and more.
For a full view of the Surfshark security suite, testing, performance or server coverage, here’s a detailed review you can go through. Other than that, if you’re willing to test the VPN for Vietnam, Surfshark offers a free trial and a 30-day refund.
- Since online security is a prime concern in Vietnam, NordVPN should be your go-to choice. You’ll find this VPN located in a privacy-friendly region in Panama, free from prying eyes.
- NordVPN abides by strict no-logging, despite the latest scandals in data breech. It had been through several independent audits, coming out with clear results.
- It covers around 5000+ servers in 59 countries. This includes servers in Vietnam. It also has a DoubleVPN feature, strengthening your connection behind two servers.
- When tested, NordVPN pulled all the stops in great speeds, and unblocking abilities. It even has a special feature by the name of SmartPlay to access geo-blocked websites.
- I was able to access the US Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Showtime, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Sling TV, Hotstar and more.
- Apart from streaming, NordVPN is compatible with torrenting platforms.
- Now coming to what NordVPN is widely known for – its security features. Apart from DoubleVPN and SmartPlay, there are other means of amour. NordVPN operates on AES 256-bit encryption, has a Kill Switch, and a CyberSec feature for blocking ads, the list goes on.
- With NordVPN, you’ll be able to secure up to 6 devices simultaneously. A few of its supported platforms include Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Firestick, Linux, Smart TVs and more.
This is just the tip of the iceberg for NordVPN. For a more detailed look at how this VPN would secure you in Vietnam, go through my NordVPN review. It highlights more features, and test reports etc. NordVPN also offer a 7-day free trial and if you’re not satisfied, you could also cancel your account and ask for a refund.
- Privacy, security and high speeds are what ExpressVPN is globally known for, and it delivers exactly that. Using ExpressVPN in Vietnam means added security and anonymity over the internet, especially since it’s located in a privacy-friendly region in the British Virgin Islands.
- ExpressVPN is a logless VPN, and if you take a look at their website under the name of “Privacy Safeguards” you’ll see all that the provider does and doesn’t collect.
- This VPN is one of the best for Vietnam also because it covers around 3000+ DNS protected servers in 94 countries, including Vietnam.
- I ran a few of the main Express servers through a series of tests, and one was to check whether it unblocked international services. I managed to successfully access Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Hotstar, Amazon Prime and more. The great part is that ExpressVPN has a MediaStreamer feature to help unblock these platforms.
- Since online security is also a primary need in Vietnam, ExpressVPN offers military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and the use of OpenVPN protocol. There’s also a Kill Switch, and DNS/IPv6 leak protection.
- ExpressVPN offers VPN protection up to 5 devices which you can connect to simultaneously. A few of its supported devices include Windows, iOS, Firestick, Android, Linux, PS4, Comcast, and more.
There’s a lot more that ExpressVPN offers and delivers successfully. You’ll find a more detailed approach in my ExpressVPN review. Other than that, if you’re up for testing the VPN out, there’s a limited time free trial. If the services aren’t up to your speed, you could always cancel your account and request a refund during the given time frame.
- Next we have IPVanish. This VPN is a US-based provider, and even though its location is a little bit of an issue for most providers, it does follow a strict no-logging policy. You’ll find all the details on its terms of service page.
- Secondly, IPVanish covers around 1400+ servers in 75+ countries. However, it doesn’t include a Vietnamese server on its list, and that’s alright. Most users turn to IPVanish if they’re looking to access international services, accounts, websites, apps etc. The majority of its server list covers locations in the US.
- Plus, if you wanted to access any services or channel with privacy within Vietnam or its neighboring countries, it includes servers all across Asia and Europe.
- Additionally, even if the use of VPNs are blocked in Vietnam, IPVanish offers a Scramble OpenVPN traffic feature, which basically bypasses sensors that block VPNs and other apps. You’ll pass through undetectable.
- When I tested a couple of the IPVanish international servers, I was successful in unblocking the US Netflix, Disney Plus, BBC iPlayer, FOX, HBO, Disney Plus, Hulu, Amazon Prime and more.
- IPVanish is also known for its security features, defending its users against external attacks. It’s equipped with AES 256-bit encryption with Perfect Forward Secrecy, has a Kill Switch, offers a large variety of protocols to choose, and much more.
- Lastly, IPVanish supports multiple devices and operating systems. A few supported devices include Windows, Firestick, iOS, Android, Nvidia Shield, Roku, and more. The latest IPVanish update states that you’ll be able to simultaneously connect to unlimited devices.
IPVanish delivers fast speeds, offers security and privacy to the people in or travelling to Vietnam. You’ll even be able to test it during its 30-day refund guarantee. For more information or a look into its test results, take a look at my IPVanish review.
- Last, we have CyberGhost. This VPN is a Romanian provider, which is known for giving users the chance to add privacy and anonymity online.
- It doesn’t log any data and keeps its users data secure. You’ll find the entire spread of what this provider does and doesn’t store in its terms of service page.
- CyberGhost has a huge coverage of 6000+ servers in 90 countries. It also includes around 18 servers in Vietnam.
- I wouldn’t say that CyberGhost is the fastest, but its speeds are decent enough for HD or 4K streams. It did, however, unblock multiple streaming services. Some were Netflix, Comedy Central, ESPN, Disney Plus, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime and more.
- Apart from the no-logs policy, CyberGhost uses military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, has an OpenVPN option, offers a Kill Switch and Split-tunneling, and is DNS protected.
- You’ll be able to connect up to 7 devices in one go per CyberGhost subscription. A few of its supported devices include Windows, Android, and Firestick, iOS, macOS, Android TV and more.
There’s a lot more offered by CyberGhost that isn’t mentioned on here. You can go through a detailed CyberGhost review for that. If you’re not sure about investing, CyberGhost offers a free trial for desktops, Android and iOS. However, the time limit is different for them. There’s also a 45-day refund to test on multiple devices.
Is it legal to use a VPN in Vietnam?
Yes, it’s legal. Even though censorship is high in Vietnam, it still isn’t as bad as it is in China. Vietnam allows the use of VPN and deems it as legal but accessing content that is blocked by the government is considered illegal. This is why you must use a secure and safe provider and not just any unknown software.
Can I use a free VPN in Vietnam?
No, you shouldn’t. Even though a VPN is legal to use in Vietnam, using a free one won’t make things any easier for you. It comes with poor or no encryption, malware or viruses, terrible speeds and stores/steals data. Only a few premium free choices work effectively, although not recommended. However, if you still feel like testing it out, you should check the ones below:
Vietnam is a tourist attraction site, and as much fun as that is, you’re not going to be able to access half the websites or apps you normally would anywhere else. Using the best VPN services in Vietnam (Surfshark, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, IPVanish, and CyberGhost), you can bypass these restrictions safely.