This guide will show you the best VPN for Roku, as well as the easiest way for you to install it.
Short on time? The best Roku VPN in 2021 is…
- Surfshark is the best VPN for Roku in the market. It’s fast, secure, affordable, easy to set up, and offers unlimited device connections.
- NordVPN is the second-best VPN for Roku because of its military-grade security, fast speeds, and its ability to bypass geo-blocks in heavily restricted countries using SmartPlay.
- ExpressVPN is the best option if you’re looking for the fastest 4K and UH speeds. It offers MediaStreamer DNS and is also great for online security. Comes with a free trial.
- IPVanish offers unlimited device connections, unblocks multiple services on Roku, and doesn’t log any user information.
- CyberGhost is great for streaming buffs, especially on Roku. Its servers are optimized for reliable streams in either 4K, or HD definition. The apps are user-friendly great for beginners and professionals.
What is Roku?
The American company, Roku Inc. has managed to produce a whole line of various Roku devices that run on the Android-based Roku operating system. Each is designed to provide the best streaming experience for home theatre. It first launched its line back in 2008 and produced a whole variety of Roku streaming boxes available for your use.
They are the ROKU:
- Streaming Stick
- Roku TV
They’re still among the number one list of streaming platforms in the industry providing both free and paid services, opening up a whole world of channels, apps, and VoD services for users worldwide.
You’ll find services from big streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, BBC iPlayer, Prime Video and so much more.
However, since Roku doesn’t support VPN apps, you’ll have to use other ways to set up the VPN connection for Roku.
The best VPN for Roku in 2021
The 5 top providers mentioned below have not only been chosen for the list of the best VPN for Roku but also because they offer all-around performance and robust features. Each Roku VPN has been tested a couple of times, making sure they’re still up to the mark. They are:
Surfshark tops the list as one of the best choices in the industry, period, and makes one of the best VPNs for Roku.
I tested and reviewed the Surfshark app multiple times, and each time I test it, the results come back to my expectation. Here are a few reasons why Surfshark is a top recommendation for Roku:
- Firstly, when I tested Surfshark’s unblocking abilities, I managed to access quite a few streaming services. I unblocked the US and UK Netflix libraries, Hulu, Amazon Prime and more.
- Surfshark allows unlimited device connections.
- Speaking of devices, Surfshark is compatible with routers and comes with a variety of pre-flashed options. You can even use the Surfshark Smart DNS feature on those devices that don’t support native VPN apps via a router.
- Other major platforms that Surfshark is compatible with include Windows, iOS, Android, Firestick, PlayStation, macOS, Linux, and more.
- You’ll find a Surfshark coverage of around 3200+ servers in 65 countries, with the inclusion of US servers. Its servers are optimized for streaming and P2P, delivering great speed for 4K HD quality.
- It hails from a privacy-friendly region in the British Virgin Islands, where user’s data is not stored or logged.
- The Surfshark apps operate using 256-bit AES encryption, offer an OpenVPN option, and have a Kill Switch.
You’ll find a detailed report on its speed results and multiple other features. So, if you think that Surfshark is worth your attention, you test the VPN app to see if it’s for you. Other than that, Surfshark also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for Roku due a number of reasons, with more attention given towards its speeds and security.
It’s fast, secure, and performed well throughout testing. Introduced as one of the strongest providers especially where security is concerned, let’s take a look at what we’re dealing with:
- NordVPN is pretty impressive when it comes to unblocking streaming services worldwide, even within heavily censored regions. You’ll find a SmartPlay technology feature for that. A few of the widely known services it managed to unblock included Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney Plus, and more.
- This provider also works pretty well with routers and comes with its own firmware for DD-WRT, Tomato, and more. Apart from routers, NordVPN is highly compatible with multiple other platforms. A few of them include Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Firestick, Linux, Apple TV and others. With each subscription, you’ll be allowed to make up to 6 multi-device simultaneous connections.
- You’ll have unlimited privacy with this VPN on Roku, knowing it originates from a privacy-friendly location; Panama.
- On NordVPN, you’ll have coverage of 5000+ servers in 59 countries, optimized for high-speed 4K streams.
- NordVPN is mainly known also for its security backing. Running on a 256-bit AES encryption has a Kill Switch, is DNS leak protected on all apps, and the inclusion of other features, you’ll clearly see how NordVPN is one of the best VPN providers for Roku.
- This VPN also comes with its own custom DNS.
If you’re up for a free test drive, there’s a free trial and refund period you could look into. However, even if you’re not satisfied with the performance, you could always contact the support team and ask them for a refund or account cancellation.
In all its powerhouse glory, we have ExpressVPN next on the list of best VPN for Roku. You’ve might have gone through multiple VPN review websites and always see ExpressVPN on every list, and wondered why? Well, ExpressVPN has never failed to disappoint, while testing it out for Roku. Here’s what makes it great for Roku:
- ExpressVPN is pretty impressive with its unblocking abilities. It has managed to bypass some of the world’s biggest geo-blocks. Upon testing, a few of the widely used services it managed to unblock include Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, and more.
- For that, you have access to around 3000+ ExpressVPN servers in 94 countries. Each of its servers is optimized to deliver the fastest speeds; allows unlimited bandwidth.
- Even though ExpressVPN doesn’t have an app for Roku, you can use a router to gain maximum connection. ExpressVPN is compatible with a large variety of routers and also sells its own pre-flashed routers for easy access.
- Other devices that ExpressVPN is compatible with include Windows, iOS, Fire TV, macOS, Android, Linux, and more. You’ll also have the option of connecting up to 5 devices per subscription, simultaneously.
- To make breaking through heavy geo-restrictions easier, ExpressVPN comes with its own smart DNS proxy called MediaStreamer. If your router doesn’t support VPN, you can replace the default DNS addresses with the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer
- Besides speeds and unblocking abilities, ExpressVPN is also one of the best for privacy and security over the internet. Hailing from the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN has strong encryption standards, has a Kill Switch, and is DNS and IP leak protected and more.
There is a lot to look forward to with ExpressVPN. Even if it’s labeled as one of the pricier VPNs, it still provides strong functionality and performance as compared to most. However, you can still test the VPN using the ExpressVPN 7-day trial and 30-day money-back guarantee.
IPVanish performed great when I reviewed its app, and makes a good addition to the list of Roku VPNs. To access restricted content that is mostly aired only within the US, you’re going to need multiple US-based servers to connect to. IPVanish is a US-based VPN, with most of its coverage with the States. However, there’s more to look into regarding its competence for Roku:
- Firstly, IPVanish is a US-based VPN. It covers around 1600+ servers in 75+ countries. In that list, includes a maximum coverage of US servers, all optimized for unblocking restricted streaming services at the best speeds.
- IPVanish also provides its own DNS servers.
- During the IPVanish testing, I managed to unblock Sling TV, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Hulu, Netflix (UK and US), Amazon Prime, and more. Its servers are owned by the company and are also equally competent for torrenting.
- Even though IPVanish doesn’t have or provide pre-flashed firmware, it supports multiple various routers that you can buy pre-flashed, or set it up manually.
- Other devices or OS that IPVanish supports include Firestick, Windows, iOS, Android, Kodi, macOS, Linux, PS4, and more. This provider now allows you to connect to unlimited platforms simultaneously for VPN protection on all your devices.
- Besides that, IPVanish uses military-grade encryption and runs on OpenVPN by default. Other features include DNS and IPv6 leak protection, no-data retention policy, and more.
You can use the refund and free trial to test the app on any supported device, including Roku. This will give you an idea of what to expect.
CyberGhost makes a user-friendly and affordable app, which is why it’s loved by most users. However, choosing the best VPN for Roku also revolves around one that’s best for ultimate online privacy. How else are you going to smoothly access restricted worldwide content? CyberGhost does justice in this department too. There’s a lot to make CyberGhost worthy for Roku, starting with:
- The CyberGhost unblocking abilities. During testing, I managed to unblock a whole variety of the more sought after streaming services. A few of them included Hotstar, Disney Plus, Amazon Video, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
- The distinction between CyberGhost and the other VPNs is that it divides its servers among those that are great for streaming and ones that are for torrenting. You have around 6000+ CyberGhost servers in 90 countries to choose from, with the inclusion of US ones.
- CyberGhost has great compatibility with a number of major devices, with routers being one of them. There are multiple tutorials on its website, showing you how to get started.
- Apart from that, CyberGhost is compatible with Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Firestick, Linux, PS4, and more. You can connect to both a router and another device since CyberGhost allows up to 7 simultaneous multi-device connections.
- Privacy or online anonymity won’t be an issue. CyberGhost is a Romanian provider that observes strict rules against data retention.
- Other than that, CyberGhost delivers great speeds, provides unlimited bandwidth, and operates using military-grade encryption. Almost all its apps even come with Kill Switch and DNS leak protection.
If you think the CyberGhost makes the best anonymous and budgeted VPN for Roku, then test it out using either the 24-hr trial for Windows or the 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobiles. There’s also a big 45-day refund period.
All this and more is why CyberGhost is one of the best Roku VPN services and loved by users worldwide.
How do you install or set up a VPN on Roku?
Roku doesn’t support VPN apps or Smart DNS addresses on its platform. However, there’s a workaround method you can use. By connecting a VPN to the best router, you can create a connection between Roku and that router.
There are a couple more ways for you to gain VPN access on Roku, so let’s take it step-by-step, starting with:
Setting up a VPN connection on a supported WiFi-Router
- First, you have to have a router that comes pre-flashed, if you don’t have that, get it flashed with the appropriate firmware.
- Log in to your router firmware dashboard, by either typing in “192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1” into the URL bar. Now, look for an option that says “set up a VPN connection”.
- Once done, whichever Roku VPN you decided to go with, contact the website and support team, ask them for a step-by-step guide to set the VPN upon your router.
Just a note, not every router is VPN compatible. If you have an older version of it, you can get it flashed with the desired firmware.
However, I’d suggest you hire a professional for that. You can opt for free open-source options like DD-WRT or Tomato. Or, just go for a VPN that sells pre-flashed routers, as ExpressVPN does.
Setting up a VPN for Roku through a virtual router
This method is much easier as compared to using a physical router for Roku, and takes less time to set up. You can activate this on wither your PC or Mac.
- Start by opening the monitor icon on your taskbar, and click on “Open Network Internet Settings” and then on “Change Adapter Options”.
- Whichever VPN you decided to go with, find it within the options, right-click over it, and open “Properties”.
- Now you’ll see a Sharing option, click on it and then tick the box that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
- Click on “OK”.
Now connect your Roku to this hotspot. That’s about it. You’ve created a virtual WiFi hot-spot and can connect your Roku device to it.
Connection through a DNS proxy
Roku doesn’t allow you to change your DNS address, so you’ll have to configure the settings via your router. Start by:
- Go to the router dashboard and into the DNS settings.
- Input two DNS addresses; making sure that the servers are according to the country you wish to access content from. You can get these from a VPN that provides it, like through NordVPN’s SmartPlay DNS proxy service or ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature.
If you’re still a little unsure about which method to use, you can always go through other reliable sources. For me, Reddit seems to do justice. There was a question from one of the users who asked, “How to get Roku Netflix to work with a VPN?” Here’s what the reply from one of the users was:
How do you get a US Roku account?
Whichever method you choose to go with, there’s another thing you need to look into. Before starting any of these aforementioned steps, please make sure you have a US Roku account. If you don’t, here’s how to get one:
- You’re first going to need a VPN subscription. I’ve recommended 5 of the best VPN providers for Roku, and they also have large US server coverage.
- Connect to any one of the US servers, and go to this Roku website.
- Click on “Create account”.
- Fill in all the information slots that are required and hit the “Continue” button.
- Select a PIN code and select your payment method, with a recommendation towards PayPal, it’s safer and more anonymous.
- Make sure you use an American zip code.
- Once you’ve created your account, reset Roku or the device back to factory settings.
- Sign in to your account and that’s it.
Why do you need the best VPN for Roku?
Even though Roku is a huge thrill for streaming, you and I both know that half the channels and apps on its platform are blocked in many countries around the world. To access it, you’re not only going to need a VPN, but the best Roku VPN to be able to unblock them.
There are many free movies and channels available on Roku that might be open to using, but sooner or later you’ll have your Netflix and Prime Video taste buds kick in. You might be allowed to use Roku, but how will you go any further than that?
Most of the channels and apps on Roku are Geo-restricted within certain countries. Take Netflix for example, its US library is available within the States and nowhere else in the world. How will someone in Spain or Japan access it?
All these restrictions will ruin your Roku experience. However, using a VPN for Roku can help you across these limitations. A VPN will re-route your web traffic through an encrypted tunnel, and through a server in a location that you choose.
For US Netflix, you’re going to need a US IP address. So, by connecting to the VPNs US server, you’ll gain access in no time.
It’s a fact that even if you want to use a VPN, the Roku OS doesn’t support VPN apps. You can curb this issue by installing the VPN on a router and then connecting it to your Roku. So, now you’re not only going to be looking for a VPN that can unblock international services, but, also one that supports the best routers.
Can I use a VPN on Roku?
Roku is not compatible with VPN apps. However, to access all the streaming services available on its devices, you can use it with a VPN by connecting with it through a WiFi router or a virtual router. In order for the VPN hotspot connection to work smoothly on Roku, you’ll also have to make a US Roku account.
Will I be able to use the Roku stick or device internationally?
Yes, you launch the app or the device, but you’ll still need to sign in to your US Roku account. Also, even if you have an account and travel abroad, you won’t be able to access its content. This is because most streaming services are blocked or censored worldwide for a number of reasons. Using the best VPN for Roku that comes with router support, will help you around these issues.
Can I use a free VPN for Roku?
Free VPNs aren’t such a great idea when it comes to unblocking streaming sites from within countries that are highly censored.
It’s neither a great idea to use on Roku. Considering the fact that Roku doesn’t support any VPN apps, so using just about any provider isn’t the best choice for you. Free VPNs aren’t equipped with router compatibility nor are they are reliable.
Roku is a great platform for non-stop streaming entertainment. However, since we’ve come to a conclusion, in order to access unlimited movies and apps, you’ll have to be equipped with the best VPN for Roku. I’ve recommended 5 top providers for that.
All of the VPNs on the list above usually offer great discounts. You can keep track or check them out on our VPNs deals and discount page.
To Summarize, the Best VPN for Roku is…
|Rank||Provider||Our Score||User Rating|