Before carrying on, don’t you think a little background on one of the best streaming platforms is necessary?
The American company, Roku Inc. has managed to produce a whole line of various Roku devices that run on the Android-based Roku operating system. Each is designed to provide the best streaming experience for home theatre. It first launched its line back in 2008 and produced a whole variety of Roku platforms available for your use.
They are the ROKU:
- Streaming Stick
- Roku TV
They’re still among the number one list of streaming platforms in the industry providing both free and paid services, opening up a whole world of channels, apps, and VoD services for users worldwide.
You’ll find services from big streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, BBC iPlayer, Prime Video and so much more.
However, since Roku doesn’t support VPN apps, you’ll have to use other ways to set up the VPN connection for Roku. Here’s how:
How do you set up a VPN for Roku?
Roku doesn’t support VPN apps or Smart DNS addresses on its platform, so for that, you’re going to have to use the best WiFi-router. There are a couple more ways for you to gain VPN access on Roku, so let’s take it step-by-step, starting with:
Setting up a VPN connection on a supported WiFi-Router
First, you have to have a router that comes pre-flashed, if you don’t have that, get it flashed with the appropriate firmware.
Log-in to your router firmware dashboard, by either typing in “192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1” into the URL bar. Now, look for an option that says “set up a VPN connection”.
Once done, whichever Roku VPN you decided to go with, contact the website and support team, ask them for a step by step guide to set the VPN upon your router.
Just a note, not every router is VPN compatible. If you have an older version of it, you can get it flashed with the desired firmware. However, I’d suggest you hire a professional for that. You can opt for free open-source options like DD-WRT or Tomato. Or, just go for a VPN that sells pre-flashed routers, as ExpressVPN does.
Setting up a VPN for Roku through a virtual router
This method is much easier as compared to using a physical router for Roku, and takes less time to set up. You can activate this on wither your PC or Mac.
Start by opening the monitor icon on your taskbar, and click on “Open Network Internet Settings” and then on “Change Adapter Options”. Whichever VPN you decided to go with, find it within the options, right-click over it, and open “Properties”.
Now you’ll see a Sharing option, click on it and then tick the box that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
Click on “OK”.
Now connect your Roku to this hotspot. That’s about it. You’ve created a virtual WiFi hot-spot and can connect your Roku device to it.
Connection through a DNS proxy
Roku doesn’t allow you to change your DNS addresses, so you’ll have to configure the settings on your router. Start by going to the router dashboard and into the DNS settings.
Input two DNS addresses; making sure that the servers are according to the country you wish to access content from. You can get these from a VPN that provides it, like through NordVPN’s SmartPlay DNS proxy service or the ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer feature.
If you’re still a little unsure about which method to use, you can always go through other reliable sources. For me, Reddit seems to do justice. There was a question from one of the users who asked, “How to get Roku Netflix to work with a VPN?” Here’s what the reply from one of the users was:
How do you get a US Roku account?
Whichever method you choose to go with, there’s another thing you need to look into. Before starting any of these aforementioned steps, please make sure you have a US Roku account. If you don’t, here’s how to get one:
- You’re first going to need a VPN subscription. I’ve recommended 5 of the best VPN providers for Roku, and that also have large US server coverage.
- Connect to any one of the US servers, and go to this Roku website.
- Click on “Create account”.
- Fill in all the information slots that are required and hit the “Continue” button.
- Select a PIN code and select your payment method, with a recommendation towards PayPal, it’s safer and more anonymous.
- Make sure you use an American zip code.
- Once you’ve created your account, reset Roku or the device back to factory settings.
- Sign in to your account and that’s it.
Why do you need the best VPN for Roku?
Even though Roku is a huge thrill for streaming, you and I both know that half the channels and apps on its platform are blocked in many countries around the world. To access it, you’re not only going to need a VPN, but the best Roku VPN to be able to unblock them.
There are many free movies and channels available on Roku that might be open to using, but sooner or later you’ll have your Netflix and Prime Video taste buds kick in. You might be allowed to use Roku, but how will you go any further than that?
Most of the channels and apps on Roku are Geo-restricted within certain countries. Take Netflix for example, its US library is available within the States and nowhere else in the world. How will someone in Spain or Japan access it?
All these restrictions will ruin your Roku experience. However, using a VPN for Roku can help you across these limitations. A VPN will re-route your web traffic through an encrypted tunnel, and through a server in a location that you choose.
For the US Netflix, you’re going to need a US IP address. So, by connecting to the VPNs US server, you’ll gain access in no time.
It’s a fact that even if you want to use a VPN, the Roku OS doesn’t support VPN apps. So, now you’re not only going to be looking for a VPN that can unblock international services, but, also one that supports the best routers. Connecting a VPN to a router will allow its connection to devices that aren’t VPN compatible.
The best VPN for Roku in 2020
Okay, so far we’ve gone through what you need to look for, to choose the best Roku VPN, and also went through a step by step guide on how to set up a VPN for it. Now, let’s discuss a little detail on what makes these top 5 VPN for Roku the best for it and multiple other purposes. Starting with:
Surfshark tops the list as one of the best choices in the industry, period. Whenever I put Surfshark through multiple tests, the results always come back positive. Here’s why I chose Surfshark VPN for Roku:
- Firstly, when I tested Surfshark’s unblocking abilities, I managed to access quite a few streaming services. I unblocked the US and UK Netflix libraries, Hulu, Amazon Prime and more.
- Surfshark allows unlimited device connections. Speaking of devices, Surfshark is compatible with routers and comes with a variety of pre-flashed options. Other major platforms that Surfshark is compatible with include Windows, iOS, Android, Firestick, PlayStation, macOS, Linux, and more.
- You’ll find a Surfshark coverage of around 1700+ servers in 64 countries, with the inclusion of US servers. Its servers are optimized for streaming and P2P, delivering great speed for 4K HD quality.
- It hails from a privacy-friendly region in the British Virgin Islands, where user’s data is not stored or logged.
- The Surfshark apps operate using 256-bit AES encryption, offers an OpenVPN option, and has a Kill Switch.
- Also offers a Smart DNS service for accessing restricted streaming websites, apps etc.
You’ll find a detailed report on its speed results and multiple other features. So, if you think that Surfshark is worth your attention, you could try the VPN out for Roku.
Surfshark also offers a 7-day free trial to test the app and a 30-day refund for all supported devices.
There are more details on this app that you can go through in my Surfshark review.
Next on the list for the best VPN for Roku, we have NordVPN. Introduced as one of the strongest providers especially where security is concerned, let’s take a look at what we’re dealing with:
- NordVPN is pretty impressive when it comes to unblocking streaming services worldwide, even within heavily censored regions. You’ll find a SmartPlay technology feature for that. A few of the widely known services it managed to unblock included Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney Plus, and more.
- This provider also works pretty well with routers and comes with its own firmware for DD-WRT, Tomato, and more. Apart from routers, NordVPN is highly compatible with multiple other platforms. A few of them include Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Firestick, Linux, Apple TV and others. With each subscription, you’ll be allowed to make up to 6 multi-device simultaneous connections.
- You’ll have unlimited privacy with this VPN on Roku, knowing it originates from a privacy-friendly location; Panama.
- On NordVPN, you’ll have coverage of 5000+ servers in 59 countries, optimized for high-speed 4K streams.
- NordVPN is mainly known also for its security backing. Running on a 256-bit AES encryption has a Kill Switch, is DNS leak protected on all apps, and the inclusion of other features, you’ll clearly see how NordVPN is one of the best VPN providers for Roku.
- This VPN also comes with its own custom DNS.
Here’s the complete NordVPN review to get a bigger idea of this Roku compatible VPN and all its features.
If you’re up for a free test drive, there’s a 7-day NordVPN free trial, and also a 30-day refund period.
In all its powerhouse glory, we have ExpressVPN next on the list of best VPN for Roku. You’ve might have gone through multiple VPN review websites and always see ExpressVPN on every list, and wondered why? Well, ExpressVPN has never failed to disappoint, while testing it out for Roku. Here’s what makes it great for Roku:
- ExpressVPN is pretty impressive with its unblocking abilities. It has managed to bypass some of the world’s biggest geo-blocks. Upon testing, a few of the widely used services it managed to unblock include Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, and more.
- For that, you have access to around 3000+ ExpressVPN servers in 94 countries. Each of its servers is optimized to deliver the fastest speeds; allows unlimited bandwidth.
- Even though ExpressVPN doesn’t have an app for Roku, you can use a router to gain maximum connection. ExpressVPN is compatible with a large variety of routers and also sells its own pre-flashed routers for easy access.
- Other devices that ExpressVPN is compatible with include Windows, iOS, Fire TV, macOS, Android, Linux, and more. You’ll also have the option of connecting up to 5 devices per subscription, simultaneously.
- To make breaking through heavy geo-restrictions easier, ExpressVPN comes with its own smart DNS proxy called MediaStreamer. If your router doesn’t support VPN, you can replace the default DNS addresses with the ExpressVPN MediaStreamer
- Besides speeds and unblocking abilities, ExpressVPN is also one of the best for privacy and security over the internet. Hailing from the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN has strong encryption standards, has a Kill Switch, and is DNS and IP leak protected and more.
There is a lot to look forward to with ExpressVPN. Even if it’s labeled as one of the pricier VPNs, it still provides stronger functionality and performance as compared to most.
You can check the performance results in my ExpressVPN review.
If you’d like to test the VPN out, you can use the ExpressVPN 7 day free trial or its 30-day refund period.
To access restricted content that is mostly aired only within the US, you’re going to need multiple US-based servers to connect to. IPVanish is a US-based VPN, with most of its coverage with the States. However, there’s more to look into regarding its competence for Roku:
- Firstly, IPVanish is a US-based VPN. It covers around 1500+ servers in 75+ countries. In that list, includes a maximum coverage of US servers, all optimized for unblocking restricted streaming services at the best speeds.
- IPVanish also provides its own DNS servers.
- During the IPVanish testing, I managed to unblock Sling TV, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Hulu, Netflix (UK and US), Amazon Prime, and more. Its servers are owned by the company and are also equally competent for torrenting.
- Even though IPVanish doesn’t have or provide pre-flashed firmware, it supports multiple various routers that you can buy pre-flashed, or set it up manually.
- Other devices or OS that IPVanish supports include Firestick, Windows, iOS, Android, Kodi, macOS, Linux, PS4, and more. This provider now allows you to connect to unlimited platforms simultaneously for VPN protection on all your devices.
- Besides that, IPVanish uses military-grade encryption and runs on OpenVPN by default. Other features include DNS and IPv6 leak protection, no-data retention policy, and more.
You can find more details on its testing and performance results in my IPVanish review.
You can use the 30-day refund and free trial to test the app on any supported device.
Choosing the best VPN for Roku also revolves around one that’s best for ultimate online privacy. How else are you going to smoothly access restricted worldwide content? CyberGhost does justice in this department. There’s a lot to make CyberGhost worthy for Roku, starting with:
- The CyberGhost unblocking abilities. During testing, I managed to unblock a whole variety of the more sought after streaming services. A few of them included Hotstar, Disney Plus, Amazon Video, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix.
- The distinction between CyberGhost and the other VPNs is that it divides its servers among those that are great for streaming and ones that are for torrenting. You have around 6000+ CyberGhost servers in 90 countries to choose from, with the inclusion of US ones.
- CyberGhost has great compatibility with a number of major devices, with routers being one of them. There are multiple tutorials on its website, showing you how to get started.
- Apart from that, CyberGhost is compatible with Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Firestick, Linux, PS4, and more. You can connect to both a router and another device since CyberGhost allows up to 7 simultaneous multi-device connections.
- Privacy or online anonymity won’t be an issue. CyberGhost is a Romanian provider that observes strict rules against data-retention.
- Other than that, CyberGhost delivers great speeds, provides unlimited bandwidth, and operates using military-grade encryption. Almost all its apps even come with Kill Switch and DNS leak protection.
If you think the CyberGhost makes the best anonymous and budgeted VPN for Roku, then test it out using either the 24-hr trial for Windows or the 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobiles. There’s also a big 45-day refund period.
You’ll find a lot more on the provider, but for that, you can have a look at my CyberGhost review.
Can I use a VPN on Roku?
Roku is not compatible with VPN apps. However, to access all the streaming services available on its devices, you can use it with a VPN by connecting with it through a WiFi-router or a virtual router. In order for the VPN hotspot connection to work smoothly on Roku, you’ll also have to make a US Roku account.
Will I be able to use the Roku stick or device internationally?
Yes, you launch the app or the device, but you’ll still need to sign in to your US Roku account. Also, even if you have an account and travel abroad, you won’t be able to access its content. This is because most streaming services are blocked or censored worldwide for a number of reasons. Using the best VPN for Roku that comes with router support, will help you around these issues.
Can I use a free VPN for Roku?
Free VPNs aren’t such a great idea when it comes to unblocking streaming sites from within countries that are highly censored. It’s neither a great idea to use on Roku. Considering the fact that Roku doesn’t support any VPN apps, so keeping that in mind using just about any provider isn’t the best choice for you. Free VPNs aren’t equipped with router compatibility nor are they are reliable.
Roku is a great platform for non-stop streaming entertainment. However, since we’ve come to a conclusion, in order to access unlimited movies and apps on Roku, you’ll have to be equipped with the best VPN for it.
If you’ve already chosen the best service, make sure to check this VPN deals page to get a huge discount on all the providers!