Portugal is one of Europe’s finest and also among very few countries in the world that promote online freedom and privacy. However, there are a couple of reasons why you may want to take your privacy a step further, and to do that you’ll need the best VPN for Portugal in 2020.
Before moving ahead, here’s a quick look at the top 5 best VPN list chosen for Portugal:
- Surfshark – all-rounder VPN for Portugal with the best security and speeds.
- NordVPN – robust VPN for security and privacy, with servers in Portugal.
- ExpressVPN – Fastest VPN for Portugal with the best server coverage and security.
- IPVanish – VPN that unblocks the best streaming services in Portugal.
- CyberGhost – Best VPN for added privacy and security features for Portugal.
No matter how safe a country may be for its citizens and for the people traveling there, there are always a few extra privacy steps that need to be taken. Maintaining online privacy in Portugal is as important as maintaining it in a country like China.
Using a VPN might not be the ultimate solution, but it is one of the best ways to jet across many internet restrictions or roadblocks.
But…Why would you need a VPN in Portugal?
Portugal is among a few of the European countries that protect its citizen’s digital privacy rights; where the freedom of speech is legalized. However, all that glitters isn’t gold.
I’m not insinuating that Portugal spies on its citizens or violates their privacy rights on the down low, but referring to the fact that there will always be a few circumstances and platforms that are looked down upon.
And among these little glitches of privacy in Portugal, revolves around access to torrenting platforms or gambling websites. This is the case in almost 90% of countries around the world.
But, for now, let’s focus on Portugal?
You can swerve around all these restrictions and take hold of full anonymity when accessing various platforms in Portugal, by using the best VPN for it.
There’s much more to look into when talking about why you need a VPN when living or traveling to Portugal. A few of these also involve trying to gain access to international streaming services. You’ll be provided with unlimited IP addresses from various countries around the world!
Then, there’s also the ISP issue. Even though online privacy is a basic right in Portugal, a VPN can help by providing steady speeds and unlimited bandwidth. Your ISP usually tampers with that.
The best VPN for Portugal in 2020
Now, since you understand a little better about why you’d need a VPN in Portugal, choosing the best one is a little difficult. We’ll get to that later on, for now here are the details on the top 5 providers:
First, on the list for the best Portugal VPN, we have Surfshark. For me, I feel like this provider has a lot going for it in terms of providing overall performance. Here’s why I chose Surfshark for this list:
- It hails from a privacy-friendly region in the British Virgin Islands, known for the best privacy laws and no-data logging policies.
- The Surfshark app covers around 1700+ servers in 64 countries. This includes server coverage in Portugal
- Its servers are optimized for both streaming and torrenting. You’ll be able to access unlimited internationals services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Disney Plus, and local channels when traveling abroad.
- Along with the Surfshark privacy, comes its security backing. Operating on AES 256-bit encryption, using OpenVPN protocol, and sporting a Kill Switch, it’s one of the most secure options.
- Speaking of secure, Surfshark is also DNS, IPv6 and WebRTC protected. There’s also a Double Hop feature for extra privacy over the internet.
- Compatible with all the major devices and operating systems. Some of these include Windows, Firestick, macOS, Android, Linux, iOS, and more.
- You can run the VPN on unlimited devices and simultaneously. There’s no device limit for connection.
Surfshark is definitely one of the best VPN options for Portugal and also comes with a free trial and reliable 30-day refund policy. If you think these details are a little short, take a look into my Surfshark review. There’s a full report of its test results.
Next, we have one of the best VPN providers for the strongest security and privacy; NordVPN. It makes another great choice for Portugal. What’s great about this provider is:
- NordVPN is a Panama based VPN. That immediately puts a green flag for privacy. It has some of the strictest no-logging policies, providing full internet anonymity.
- It covers around 5500+ servers in 59 countries, in which the updated version carries 26 servers in Portugal.
- During its testing, I managed to unblock the US Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, BBC iPlayer, Hotstar, Disney Plus, and a lot more. All you have to do is connect to any one of its servers that offer access. There’s a SmartPlay feature you can use for that.
- NordVPN offers military-grade encryption for your privacy, a Kill Switch, anti-DDoS protection, Onion over VPN, a CyberSec feature, and more.
- Regardless of which device you need VPN protection for, NordVPN is compatible with a series of multiple apps for numerous platforms. Some of these include Windows, Android, iOS, macOS, Linux, Firestick, PS4, and more.
- The NordVPN device compatibility also comes with the option to connect up to 6 devices simultaneously.
NordVPN is a full package for Portugal and one of the best VPN providers in general. Seem unsure about investing? Maybe a full test report in its review might change your mind. If you think you’d like to give it a test run, go for either the limited free trial for iOS and Android smartphones or its 30-day refund.
ExpressVPN is known to be everyone’s personal favorite, even if it’s a little over-priced. This provider managed to pull out some pretty great test scores. To highlight a few of the many reasons why it’s the best VPN for Portugal, look below:
- Firstly, just like Surfshark, ExpressVPN too hails from the British Virgin Islands, a region that observes strict no-logging policies and promotes privacy.
- ExpressVPN possesses one of the largest server coverage; 3000+ servers in 94 countries, with the inclusion of Portugal servers.
- Besides being allowed to access local content from abroad using the Portugal servers, you’ll also be able to access multiple international streaming services from within the country that might have been previously blocked.
- A few of these streaming platforms include BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Netflix, Disney Plus, Fox, HBO Go, and more.
- The reason why ExpressVPN is a public’s choice is mainly because of its versatility. Along with unblocking abilities, it also has great security for added anonymity. ExpressVPN operates on 256-bit AES encryption, has a Kill Switch, IPv6, and DNS protection, I’d say that’s pretty good to use in Portugal.
- ExpressVPN has great speeds!
- The ExpressVPN device compatibility is vast too. It has apps for numerous platforms. A few of them include Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Linux, Firestick, Apple TV, and more. You can connect up to 5 devices per subscription.
Apart from this, there’s more to look into. You’ll find the best VPN features and its test report in my ExpressVPN review. Did you know that ExpressVPN also allows you to try the app out? There’s a free trial for smartphones and a 30-day refund policy on each subscription.
Next, we have IPVanish, one of the best for unblocking multiple channels abroad with great speeds. However, that’s not all what makes it the best VPN for Portugal. Take a look below:
- IPVanish is a US-based provider. This automatically means more access to US channels. Apps, or websites within Portugal that may have been previously blocked because of copyright laws.
- It has around 1400+ servers in 75+ countries. This list also includes 5 server locations in Portugal, making it easier for you to stream local content privately.
- You’ll be able to access services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO GO and so much more!
- Now let’s talk about online privacy with IPVanish. It operates using the strongest encryption, it is DNS and IPv6 leak protected and comes with a Kill Switch. It also has a Scramble OpenVPN feature that acts like an obfuscation tool for anonymous browsing.
- IPVanish is compatible with numerous operating systems and platforms. A few of the major ones include Windows, Routers, Android, iOS, PS4, macOS, Chromebook, Fire TV, and more.
- You can connect up to 10 devices with an IPVanish subscription.
IPVanish is great for streaming and torrenting, you can even check out its performance results in my review. Besides that, why not just test the VPN out using its free trial period? In that way, you’d probably get a better idea.
Last on the list we have CyberGhost, known for adding optimal privacy over the internet. Here’s why I chose CyberGhost as one of the best VPN providers to use in Portugal:
- Portugal is a Romanian provider. This is within a region that promotes the best privacy policies and no-data logging policies.
- It has around 6000+ servers in 90 countries with the inclusion of servers in Portugal.
- When put under testing, I managed to unblock the US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Hotstar, and more.
- Apart from that, the security front is pretty great for privacy and anonymity. It operates using 256-bit encryption, has a Kill Switch feature, Split-Tunneling and more!
- You can connect up to 7 devices using a single CyberGhost subscription.
- Speaking of device compatibility, CyberGhost supports a wide variety of apps and devices. Some of these include Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Linux, Firestick, Android TV, and much more.
If you still would like a wider look into the CyberGhost performance, have a look at my review for it. Or, if you feel like simply jumping into a test drive, CyberGhost offers a free trial for smartphones and a reliable 45-day refund trial.
How to choose the best VPN for Portugal?
Now, keeping in mind that not every VPN is the same, and not all offer the best features or prices, choosing the best VPN for Portugal becomes a bigger task.
However, depending on what’s required for Portugal, I picked out and tested the providers on my list according to it.
Here’s why I chose them:
- Firstly they have to possess Portugal servers and a wide coverage of locations from around the globe. Server coverage versatility is important.
- I chose them based on the best security features that are required when online in Portugal. The best encryption standards and extra security features like a Kill Switch are important.
- Compatible with both streaming and torrenting. Since torrenting isn’t allowed in Portugal, you’ll have to connect to a VPN that supports it with great privacy.
- Next is user-friendly apps. If the VPN apps aren’t easy to use or navigate through then what’s the point? All the Portugal VPNs mentioned on my list have user-friendly apps for multiple devices.
- Speaking of devices, they have to operate and support a wide variety of platforms and allow VPN connections for multiple devices. The added perk is that all the VPNs on my list allow multiple simultaneous device connections with every subscription.
- Safe jurisdictions away from complying with the 5/9/14-eyes alliance and strict no-logging policy.
- They’re budgeted and premium, offering the best VPN deals right now.
Needless to say that internet privacy is required even within countries that promote online freedom. There are always certain grey areas that most people tend to overlook when online.
So, even if Portugal is one of the safest places to be in, you still need to use the best VPN for it. There’s no harm in extra security. Plus, all the providers on my list (Surfshark, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, IPVanish, and CyberGhost) have free trials and refund trials you can use before investing!