Hotstar is one of India’s most famous streaming services. However, the service is subjected to geo-restrictions, and accessing it anywhere outside the allowed regions might be an issue. So, if you’re wondering how to watch Hotstar in USA or outside India, you can do so with a VPN!
With a Hotstar VPN, you will be able to access TV shows, live TV, sports, and more, from anywhere outside India. Also, instead of paying $99.99 annually for Hotstar in the US, you’ll now be paying $19.
Using a particular device for it? No problem! I’ve also highlighted a couple of ways for you to access it on your Firestick, Android, iOS, Chromecast, macOS, and others. These tutorials are based on downloading the apps from either the apps or the official website.
On another note, Did you know that Hotstar partnered up with Disney Plus?
How to watch Hotstar in USA
It doesn’t matter where in the world you’re situated, here’s how to watch Hotstar in USA or anywhere around the world, without having to pay huge subscription fees:
Short on time? The Best VPN for Hotstar is…
- Surfshark is overall the best VPN for Hotstar in 2021. It costs only $2.49/mo. offers optimized speedy servers, unlimited device connections, and great security.
- NordVPN is a great Hotstar India VPN. It comes with strong security features and a broad list of Indian servers that unblock Hotstar in USA. The speeds are super fast for streaming and cost only $3.67/mo.
- ExpressVPN offers the fastest speeds, unblocks unlimited streaming services worldwide, including Hotstar. It costs $6.67/mo., however, you could try it using the free trial.
- IPVanish is great for users who require unlimited device connections, and access to Hotstar from anywhere in the world. It costs around $3.75/mo.
- CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs for Hotstar because of its optimized servers. budgeted, user-friendly app, and good speeds at $2.25/mo.
Sign up for the Hotstar in the USA & other countries
Now there’s a difference when it comes to accessing Hotstar’s free content as compared to accessing its premium services.
Remember when I said that Hotstar is a lot like Netflix? Well, here’s why:
Just like it, Hotstar allows the people in India to access some of its free content (movies/TV shows) along with premium services.
However, if you’re living outside India, you’re only allowed to go through certain libraries provided to you. Secondly, you’ll be paying double the annual subscription fee if you’re outside India.
To jet across these restrictions and watch Indian content like the latest movies or live cricket, here’s how you can access its Indian libraries with a premium subscription:
- Go to Hotstar.com on any browser, and “choose your payment plan”
- Click on any one of the plans available.
- After choosing your plan, move on to sign up/create your account. You can also do that by signing in with Facebook.
- After you make your payment, follow along with further instructions to confirm your paid subscription. After that, all that’s left to do is connect to your VPN, and start streaming Hotstar!
NOTE: There’s a huge library of free content available on Hotstar. To access that, you wouldn’t even need to sign up for the service or log in. However, if you do require access to the premium Indian libraries, you’ll need assistance from someone in India to help with the sign-up process. It’s because they’ll have to use a local Credit card to sign up.
There are a couple of websites that include offers or services in helping you get through with your payments.
Overview on Hotstar India
For those who aren’t familiar with Hotstar, it is India’s biggest online streaming service known worldwide for its up-to-date Movie libraries, TV shows, Live TV, etc, particularly Geo-accessible to India.
The best part is, even sports coverage that’s mostly available on the famous Star Sports, is now available on Hotstar. You’ll be able to live stream cricket matches like the ICC World Cup or the Indian Premier League
Sadly, its premium account is only available to people living in the US, UK, and Canada with most of its content geo-restricted to India.
So, if you’re living outside India and want to get your hands on the latest shows and access all libraries on Hotstar, the best way to do so is with a VPN.
Best VPNs to watch Hotstar in 2021
For those who aren’t familiar with a VPN, it’s the ultimate software to get you full access to Geo-restricted streaming from anywhere in the world, but, of course, only the best VPN can allow you that access.
It also goes a long way in providing you access to the best online security, privacy, high download speeds, and unlimited bandwidth; which in this case is our main focus.
The reason for needing a VPN goes far beyond just gaining access to Hotstar, but rather the safest way to make sure your actual IP doesn’t get detected trying to gain Hotstar access. This is mainly when the Hotstar service is not accessible in your country.
For this, I’ve put together the best VPNs that will show you exactly how to watch Hotstar in USA, in no time. They are:
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, browser extensions, FireStick, Nvidia Shield TV, and more|
This British Virgin Islands VPN is known to be one of the top-dogs in the VPN industry. Surfshark is by far the best choice when it comes to accessing Geo-restricted content, internationally. Accessing a service like Hotstar and all its libraries would be a piece of cake.
It has around 3200+ servers in 65 countries all optimized for streaming on multiple platforms. In its list, it includes about 3 servers in India (Mumbai, Indore, and Chennai). Connect to any one of these and enjoy the latest Bollywood entertainment.
Apart from gaining access, another thing that makes this VPN a top choice is its superlative security measures. It operates on AES 256-bit encryption and covers all the major protocols (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and Shadowsocks).
Other Surfshark features include Clean Web, Multihop, DNS and IP leak protection, unlimited bandwidth, and GPS Spoofing. It also has a Hacklock and BlindSearch feature.
You can put this VPN to the test using the Surfshark free trial, or try out its 30-day refund policy for a longer testing period on multiple devices.
Surfshark offers much more than what’s already mentioned. It’s fast, secure, offers unlimited device connections, and ample Indian servers to give you access to Hotstar and other streaming services. This is why Surfshark is a popular choice among users.
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Browser extensions, AndroidTV, FireTV, Linux, and routers|
This Panama-based VPN also ranks as having covered a wide range of server locations, making it another top choice for a Hotstar VPN; breaking through restricted sites.
It has around 5200+ servers in 59 countries with around 30+ (updated) servers in India, opening up full access to unblock Hotstar from wherever you are in the world.
Besides the above, NordVPN is known to have some of the heaviest security features in the VPN market. NordVPN has military-grade AES 256-bit encryption, and support towards the major protocols (OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec).
There are other advanced features like a Kill Switch, a CyberSec feature that blocks malicious ads, DNS, and IP leak protection, unlimited bandwidth, an AD Blocker, and more. There’s also a unique SmartPlay feature that allows you to unblock Hotstar and more within countries with heavy restrictions. This feature can be used on those devices that don’t support VPN apps.
If you’re wondering how to watch Hotstar in USA or anywhere else, why don’t you first test out NordVPN using its free trial? You could also ask for a full 30-day refund and cancel your account, if not satisfied.
Overall, NordVPN is the best for acquiring access to Geo-blocked websites or streaming. It’s also why it makes one of the best VPN services to unblock Hotstar.
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Browser extensions, Linux, Routers, Smart TVs, Firestick & more|
Another British Virgin Island VPN, known as an all-rounder in the VPN realm. ExpressVPN is the public’s choice for bypassing Geo-blocks and having a good security backing in its list of features.
It has around 3000+ servers in 94 countries with the inclusion of 3 Indian servers (India via UK, Chennai, and Mumbai-1). ExpressVPN is one of the best choices that produce the fastest speeds that are required for streaming on Hotstar.
So, if you’re wondering how you can attempt to watch Hotstar in the USA or anywhere, let ExpressVPN lead the way! Try testing it out on your own, using the ExpressVPN free trial, or go for a longer trial run using its 30-day refund. If you’re not feeling it, you could always cancel your account and ask for a refund.
Apart from sporting great speeds, it has top-notch security features. Some of it includes 256-bit encryption, support on major protocols (PPTP, OpenVPN, and L2TP/IPsec), a Kill Switch, and unlimited bandwidth. It also has a private and encrypted DNS feature on every server, Split Tunneling, and more.
ExpressVPN is widely known for having a Smart DNS feature called MediaStreamer. You can use this smart DNS proxy service on devices that don’t support VPN apps via a router. All this and more is why ExpressVPN is a favorite among users.
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, Fire devices, Chrome OS, Linux, Kodi, and Routers|
IPVanish is usually great for unblocking US streaming services, however, it works just as well for Hotstar. When I tested and reviewed the app, I also looked into other aspects of the app, which is why it’s usually on the best VPN list.
It has around 1600+ servers in 75+ countries, which includes 8 Indian servers (New Delhi and Mumbai) in its list. So now, not only does it unblock Hotstar, but also the US Netflix library and other streaming services. There’s no actual free trial available, but you can test the VPN using its 30-day refund policy.
Its security includes AES 256-bit encryption, multiple protocols (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP/IPsec), unlimited bandwidth, a SOCKS5 web proxy, split-tunneling, and a lot more.
Also, did you know that IPVanish has now updated 10 device connections to unlimited simultaneous connections? That means you can enjoy Hotstar on multiple devices in one go.
|Compatibility||Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, browser extensions, Fire TV, AndroidTV, and Linux|
CyberGhost is quite a diverse VPN with great security. It makes one of the best VPNs for Hotstar for a number of reasons. Here’s why:
It is headquartered in Romania and follows a strict no-logs policy. Along with its ability to smash through restricted websites, it has one of the widest platforms of servers in its list.
It covers around 6000+ servers in 90 countries to be exact, with the inclusion of 22 Indian servers. All are more than capable of unblocking Hotstar in every country outside India.
If we’re talking about accessing Hotstar outside India, the US, UK, and Canada, you’re probably going to need a VPN that has the best security too.
CyberGhost has impressive security with 256-bit encryption, supports major protocols (OpenVPN, IKEv2, and L2TP), a Kill Switch, and is DNS, IP, and WebRTC leak protected. The VPN also provides fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth.
CyberGhost also offers a free trial for a limited time but has a 45-day refund policy on top of paid subscriptions. This allows you to test the VPN for a longer time, with the surety of a refund during the time frame.
Hotstar Prices – a VPN makes it more affordable
Hotstar is only available in India, the US, UK, Canada, and a couple of other countries. If you’re anywhere else in the world and require the premium Hotstar content, you’ll be paying much more to subscribe.
Secondly, if you’re within India, you automatically have free access to Hotstar’s premium content, which includes both the Indian and western libraries.
Thirdly, just because Hotstar is available in the US, UK, and Canada, doesn’t mean you’ll have free access or a discount. You’ll still be paying double the amount to just unlock certain libraries.
So what’s the point of that?
Using a VPN will allow you free content and cheaper prices for a Hotstar subscription from anywhere in the world. For an idea, take a look below at what you’ll be paying with a VPN versus what you’ll be paying without:
The prices of Hotstar in India:
This may look like a lot to the people outside India, but it’s actually not. See, if I convert it to dollars, it’s around $14.10 per year. However, the prices vary according to whether you’re living in the States, UK, or Canada.
Price of Hotstar in the US and UK in comparison to India
Let’s take the USA for starters. While the people in India are paying around 14-15 dollars a year for premium access to Hotstar, the residents in the US will be paying double the amount for services with major restrictions.
- Price of Hotstar India – $4.30/mo. and $14.10/year.
- The price of Hotstar in the US – $9.99/mo. And $74.99/year.
- Price of Hotstar in the UK – £11.99/mo. and £59.99/year.
- The price of Hotstar in CA – $49.99/mo.
What do you think?
Wouldn’t you rather pay a smaller price for Hotstar and at the same time have access to unlimited other content using the same VPN?
A VPN is the only way to avoid paying a huge subscription fee and that too for limited Hotstar content. So, again, if you need to know how to save less and watch Hotstar in the USA and many other countries around the world, a VPN is your best bet.
Hotstar – Compatible devices
Using a single Hotstar subscription, you’re allowed to watch it on up to 2 devices. Hotstar is compatible with the following devices:
- Apple TV
- Chrome Extension
- Amazon FireStick
- Other Smart TVs
- Windows PC
- OSX Mac
Using different devices
We’ve been through the best VPNs for Hotstar and how to access it worldwide or outside India. Now, we move on to how to configure the Hotstar app on the various platforms you commonly use. It includes:
1. Watch Hotstar on Android
Hotstar can be accessed fairly easily on Android. You start by:
- Download the Hotstar app from the Play Store.
- Download it and Install
- Open the app on your home screen and enjoy all your Indian favorites.
2. Watch Hotstar on iOS
Just like Android, accessing the Hotstar app on iOS is another walk in the park. You begin by:
- Look for Hotstar on the Apple Store.
- Just in case you don’t come across a lot of apps by the name of Hotstar, look for the one that has a “Novi Digital” imprint under it.
- Type in your Apple ID details and proceed to download the app.
- Once “Downloaded” and “Installed”, open the app and connect with either your Facebook or Gmail account details that you previously provided to sign up with Hotstar.
- And you’re done!
3. Watch Hotstar on Firestick or Fire TV
Hotstar is readily available on the Amazon App Store. You don’t need to change your location for it. Here’s how you can watch Hotstar on your Firestick/Fire TV:
- Click on the search tab on your Fire TV/Firestick home screen
- Look for the Hotstar app on the search bar
- Download the app.
- Once downloaded, open it.
- Sign in to your Hotstar account and start binging!
4. Watch Hotstar with Chromecast
Hotstar supports a number of devices including Chromecast. All you need to do is look up the various casting options from its app and start streaming all your favorites on your big screen!
5. Watch Hotstar on macOS
You can easily access the Hotstar app for macOS. Start by
- Downloading the Android emulator on your device.
- Install it.
- Once installed, open the emulator and download the Hotstar app from the Play store on it.
- Install the Hotstar app, sign in and watch all the latest Hotstar movies, TV shows and live cricket matches!
6. Watch Hotstar on Apple TV
Among its supported Hotstar devices is Apple TV. To get started go to the app store on your Apple TV and download the Hotstar app. That’s all it takes.
7. Watch Hotstar with the Chrome Extension
You can watch Hotstar with a Chrome extension, by first connecting to your VPN of choice. From the list above, I would highly recommend Surfshark, since it performed the best for me. So begin by adding the Surfshark Chrome Extension to your browser of choice, and access Hotstar with the following steps:
- Look up Surfshark on the google chrome web store.
- You’ll find a blue button for adding it as an extension. Click on it.
- You’ll be redirected towards a pop-up, click on Add-Extension.
- Once you’ve added an extension, sign in to your Surfshark account.
- Click to connect to the VPN. And you’re in!
- Now you can pick and connect to any Indian server to access Hotstar.
- Once connected, go to Hotstar.com and stream Hotstar’s free content.
How do you download Hotstar from outside India?
Now we know that Hotstar is only available in India, and allowed in some parts of the world like the US, UK, and Canada. But, how are you going to watch unlimited content on Hotstar when living in the USA or elsewhere?
I can’t stress on this fact any longer but the answer to ALL your Hotstar problems is literally right here!
I have already shortlisted the best VPN services (Surfshark, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, IPVanish, and CyberGhost) for allowing you full access to Bollywood’s biggest hits, now all you need to do is subscribe to any one of these VPN services.
- If you’re a mobile user, first subscribe and connect to an Indian server on the VPN you chose, and head over to either the Google Play Store or the iOS App Store to download the app.
- If you happen to be a desktop user, like myself, connect to any of the Indian servers, go to any browser and visit Hotstar.com. It’s just that simple.
Also, did you know that you can get a free-trial if downloaded on Google Play and Apple stores? But, this doesn’t apply to the VIP subscription.
Do I have to change my regional location to download the Hotstar app?
In relevance to the above mentioned, this is one of the more commonly asked questions. Hotstar is available on the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. But, it’s not technically available in most parts of the world.
However, if you’re living in another country other than the ones mentioned, you should proceed with the following steps:
For Apple stores:
- Go to the “Settings” portion on your iOS.
- Click on your name followed by clicking on “iTunes & App Store”.
- Next, you click on “View Apple ID” and log-in your identification details if asked to provide them.
- Then click on “Country/Region”.
- After you’re in, there’ll be a few instructions to be followed and/or the option to change the settings.
For Google Play Store:
- Start by visiting the Google Pay page and sign in with your ID.
- Go to “Settings”
- Tweak around with your location settings, changing the location to India. You can also add an Indian address to the “Address” portion using a Fake Address Generator.
Can you watch Hotstar (Premium) in the USA for free without a VPN?
Yes, you can!
It’s mentioned above that besides India, Hotstar is catered towards the US, UK, and Canada. All you’d be required to do is download the app from either the Google Play Store, Apple Store, or Amazon Store.
Once you download the app, you’d be asked to create an account or sign in at us.hotstar.com/acitvate, further provided with more details as you proceed.
Also, you need to note that this isn’t the same as using a VPN in the US to access the Indian libraries. It’s completely different without the use of a VPN. You will have to sign up, creating a totally different account as compared to the one created before while using a VPN.
Secondly, even though Hotstar is allowed in the US without a VPN, there are limitations that come along with it. The whole point of using a VPN was to avoid paying a bucket load of cash for Hotstar services.
And now, since you wish to watch Hotstar without a VPN, you’re back to paying seven times more as compared to the prices in India. This will cost you around $99.99/year., instead of $14.09 a year.
It just makes more sense to spend way less by using a VPN. However, to each his own. To continue without a VPN, start by:
- Going to Hotstar.com/us and sign up for another account.
- Either use your Facebook or email ID.
- It’ll ask you to enter in your credit card credentials
- After you choose your payment method and successfully subscribed to it, you’re in
- Every time you need to sign in to Hotstar without a VPN in the US, you can continue by using the same link.
Generating offline viewing for Hotstar
Another great thing about Hotstar is that just like Netflix, it allows you to download all your Indian favorites for viewing later on if ever you’re without Wi-Fi signals or a connection. I mean, who wouldn’t enjoy a buffer-free movie for a change? So to get started, all you have to do is:
- Launch the Hotstar app, using either your Android or iPhone.
- Once you open the app, go to the home screen, search, or select the video you want to watch offline.
- Once you’ve picked a movie, there’ll be a “Download” option available. Click on it.
- You’ll be provided with a list of download quality options or resolutions. Pick one.
- Click on it and start your download.
Can I use a free VPN for Hotstar?
No! I really wouldn’t recommend that.
It’s difficult trying to access Hotstar even with a great VPN, so how will a free VPN be any better in comparison?
Free VPN services often log all personal data and sell it to third parties for a price. You’ll even find your data and bandwidth inconsistent. This is something your internet service provider would cause, so why experience it twice with free services?
Thirdly, they lack basic encryption or security measures.
All-in-all, I don’t recommend it. There are so many VPN providers in the market that you could choose from.
Can I get a free Hotstar account in USA?
Technically, you could use a VPN and connect to an Indian server to get a free Hotstar account. However, this will last for only 48 hours. Other than India, there isn’t a free trial account available for the USA, Canada, or anywhere else.
How do you subscribe to Disney+ Hotstar at an affordable price?
Hotstar has partnered up with Disney Plus and is available to the people of Indonesia and India. You’ll be paying a lot more from anywhere else in the world. Using a cheap VPN service will allow you to access it at the same rate within India.
Without a VPN, you’ll be paying bigger prices for Hotstar+Disney Plus, and the prices will vary depending on whether you are from the UK, US, and anywhere else. With a VPN, you can get it at a much affordable price by connecting to an Indian IP address.
How to watch Disney+ Hotstar in USA and abroad
To watch Disney+ Hotstar in the USA, here’s how you can begin:
- Subscribe to Surfshark. There are 4 other providers on the list above, you could choose any one of those.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device, depending on which one you’re using.
- Launch the VPN and connect to an Indian server.
- Lastly, log in to your Hotstar account and start watching Disney+ Hotstar in USA or anywhere in the world!
Since Hotstar is listed among other Geo-restricted streaming services/websites and applicable in full swing to the people of India, that doesn’t mean you can’t access it from anywhere else around the world.
So, if you’re wondering how to watch Hotstar in USA or abroad, these top 5 VPN services (Surfshark, NordVPN, ExpressVPN, IPVanish, and CyberGhost) can make that possible. I shortlisted them on their overall competence or performance.
Also, I selected them based on their ability to unblock websites, secure your devices, and preserve your anonymity, worldwide. So, go on and enjoy unblocking Hotstar from the USA and anywhere else in the world!
The VPNs on this list usually offer the best affordable rates. You can keep track of them on our VPN deals and discount page.